For those that saw both live who was better?

silva. at his job. different players.

Yeah, different players. I joined the debate about Bell and de Bruyne a week or so ago and thought that Bell could have played the same kind of high powered game now as he did in the 60s. I wasn't so sure that Kevin would cope with the shit heaps that passed for football pitches in the 60s and 70s. I think the same applies to David Silva. I wonder how effective he would be on a pitch that was 10% bog, 80% swamp and the rest a slight upgrade on a corporation playing field.

yep. this isn't a sleight on Colin, he was incredible, but we have to remember the speed and demands on players now, Dave's consistency at the level he provides is something I have never seen. i feel honoured to have seen both in my lifetime.
Me too Bill...

I would have to go for King Colin, but only just, his work rate, his passing and goal scoring on the ploughed fields that,slightly resembled football pitches ,was nothing short of phenomenal. He didn’t have the intricate skills and vision of Merlin but in those days, 60’s 70’s it wasn’t that much of a requirement as it is today. The guys fitness was something very rarely seen in the days of his pomp, incredible is an apt description.

Interesting point about Bell playing centre half....i know you cant be sure...but has anyone else got any memory of this?
I have a sneaky feeling he may have been used as a sweeper,maybe in a european match..as u say ,after his injury comeback..

In hindsight i remember a game away at Elland Rd after Bell had his injury and he played just in front of the back four , and he did it several times that season , he wasnt as mobile but was spraying passes about from the back , he adapted his game , it was tragic watching such a great player end his career like that , and as many have written on here his comeback against newcastle 0-0 at half time , and the whole ground and team lifted to a different level when he came on for the second half and it ended up 4-0 and Newcastle got off lightly , not ashamed to say i sobbed my heart out like a big soft arse that day

In hindsight i remember a game away at Elland Rd after Bell had his injury and he played just in front of the back four , and he did it several times that season , he wasnt as mobile but was spraying passes about from the back , he adapted his game , it was tragic watching such a great player end his career like that , and as many have written on here his comeback against newcastle 0-0 at half time , and the whole ground and team lifted to a different level when he came on for the second half and it ended up 4-0 and Newcastle got off lightly , not ashamed to say i sobbed my heart out like a big soft arse that day
Me too pal, saying that you would have a brick for a heart if you didn't.

I honestly don't 'get' the comments about Silva being a better 'footballer'.

He's better, in the modern short passing game, but Bell didn't play in that kind of team, or on pitches which would suit it, he was more like KDB in the crossing, longer passing game, which Silva isn't especially that great at.

Bell could shoot with both feet, like KDB & was possibly the best vollyer of a ball I have ever seen. Also one of the best headers. These are all football skills to me & someone who can perform most of them excellently, is a better 'footballer' than someone who can't.

I honestly don't 'get' the comments about Silva being a better 'footballer'.

He's better, in the modern short passing game, but Bell didn't play in that kind of team, or on pitches which would suit it, he was more like KDB in the crossing, longer passing game, which Silva isn't especially that great at.

Bell could shoot with both feet, like KDB & was possibly the best vollyer of a ball I have ever seen. Also one of the best headers. These are all football skills to me & someone who can perform most of them excellently, is a better 'footballer' than someone who can't.
Cant disagree with a word of this.For all Silva ,s silky skills and ball retention,as an all round footballer Bell must be absolutely streets ahead.
Bell scored countless crucial goals,in big matches away from home,drove the team forwarc,got stuck in ,was as brave as a lion..didnt wait for a Yaya to sort the tean out,he did it himself.Newcastle away 68.it was Bell.qpr at home 2012,it wasnt Silva...game before newcastle away,it was yaya,not Silva.
Bells all round influence on City ,back in the day,appeared to be wholly more pronounced.

Bell scored with both feet as well as being excellent in the air. That said, Silva wins an inordinate amount of headers for a man his size.

Who would I back though, were I forced to choose a player to win us a massively impoortant game - that’s easy: YaYa.

And then go missing for 2/3 seasons.
Silva all day, every day and twice on Sundays

Cant disagree with a word of this.For all Silva ,s silky skills and ball retention,as an all round footballer Bell must be absolutely streets ahead.
Bell scored countless crucial goals,in big matches away from home,drove the team forwarc,got stuck in ,was as brave as a lion..didnt wait for a Yaya to sort the tean out,he did it himself.Newcastle away 68.it was Bell.qpr at home 2012,it wasnt Silva...game before newcastle away,it was yaya,not Silva.
Bells all round influence on City ,back in the day,appeared to be wholly more pronounced.

Hahahaha

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.