MCFC U-18's

Foden is our best youth talent so far. Better than Sancho and Diaz.

If he isn't given a chance to make the first team then we should forget the academy as a first team path - it is just a profit machine.

If Foden makes it, or at least given a chance - the door opens to so many possibilities. It proves the path is open, City will benefit hugely.

Foden is our best youth talent so far. Better than Sancho and Diaz.

If he isn't given a chance to make the first team then we should forget the academy as a first team path - it is just a profit machine.

If Foden makes it, or at least given a chance - the door opens to so many possibilities. It proves the path is open, City will benefit hugely.

I'd argue we want Foden and Maffeo to both be active members of the first team squad next season to prove both paths (multiple loans and direct elevation) to the first team squad work for academy players

Its interesting the ones who've left that we didnt want to (Campbell, Sancho, Duncan) are all attackers. The standard to get into our first team squad as a forward is sky high, a pattern perhaps?

I'd argue we want Foden and Maffeo to both be active members of the first team squad next season to prove both paths (multiple loans and direct elevation) to the first team squad work for academy players

Its interesting the ones who've left that we didnt want to (Campbell, Sancho, Duncan) are all attackers. The standard to get into our first team squad as a forward is sky high, a pattern perhaps?

I had no idea that Duncan had left.

I agree that there seems to be an emerging issue here....our academy is superb, but transitions to the first team are not, it would appear, being strategically managed...what exactly is the EDS philosophy?.....I mean within the overall transition planning for EDS players , by the club?

This...

I agree that there seems to be an emerging issue here....our academy is superb, but transitions to the first team are not, it would appear, being strategically managed...what exactly is the EDS philosophy?.....I mean within the overall transition planning for EDS players , by the club?
If that's true that would be a real problem, but I'm not convinced it is. I think there a clear strategy, it's just that we're to early in the process for an ex Academy player to become a match squad regular. But we're just coming to the point now where the players identified 5-10 years ago are getting old enough. Maffeo, Foden, Diaz, Gunn are all very close now imo.

The academy will always produce many more players than we need for our first team. We need, at most, one or two players every couple of years. We don't need a conveyor belt. In any case, most players in the academy won't be good enough. The business model is a cash generator that produces the odd gem saving £10s of millions.

We've lost a few players, that's true, and that has a cost. But taking aside Sancho (and Denis Suarez?), how many players have left or academy for other clubs who might realistically be first team players for us?

I think we need to add another step in the process whereby we give players 5/10 minutes here and there before they go on loan. Them having a few first team minutes under their belts will increase the chance of better (PL) loans which will then allow the club to better judge their time away.

For example, if Foden gets a handful of minutes (maybe some cup starts) before the end of the season, there's a strong chance that lower PL clubs will fancy him on loan in the summer (like Palace have taken a few from United and Chelsea).

I think we need to add another step in the process whereby we give players 5/10 minutes here and there before they go on loan. Them having a few first team minutes under their belts will increase the chance of better (PL) loans which will then allow the club to better judge their time away.

For example, if Foden gets a handful of minutes (maybe some cup starts) before the end of the season, there's a strong chance that lower PL clubs will fancy him on loan in the summer (like Palace have taken a few from United and Chelsea).
You make a good point that Chelsea seem to make more Premier League loans than we do which must help in making the player first team ready.Interestingly the guy that has previously arranged these loans for Chelsea resigned in the last couple of days. The only loan I can think of recently was Jason to Sunderland which was hardly a roaring success.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.