The Smiths & Morrissey thread

It was! I was at an after show party in Grimsby town centre on a Tuesday night or something thinking "what the Fck am I doing here"
He played there twice, I saw him in in 2006 as well as 2011. First time was local election night and voting was taking place inside too.... we were being hassled when entering the venue by pollsters asking who we were voting for! Morrissey walked out on stage and asked ''Who put the grim in Grimsby?''

I think he goes for numbers now regardless of whether it sells out or not. The London gigs have sold out though and the Albert Hall one was v pricey! Leeds standing has sold out and last time there I would say there were about 8000 there.

I agree though the smaller venues much better. It was Victoria Hall at Stoke.

I went to Grimsby once to see him. That was a bit like a sports hall too!

Liverpool Royal Court was decent in 99. Echo arena not so much when he walked off halfway through song number 2! Couple next to me had flown in from Berlin too. I don't like that side of him. I remember a more recent Blackburn gig where a heckler pissed him off and he went through the motions after that despite it being one person out of 1500.
Liverpool Royal Court holds very, very special memories for me. I was pretty poorly at the time, in a very bad place in my head. I’d had to move back to me mum and dad’s to recuperate. I drove to the Leeds gig the day before and had to come home 6 songs in. It was my birthday and my head was all over the place, wondering why things had turned so shite. Anyway, the following day, my dad, god bless him, offered to drive me to Liverpool and wait for me. If things got too much I could just walk out. I made it through the whole gig then found out my dad had had to wait in an underground carpark with no radio. I got home and fell in to mym mum’s arms, crying cos I’d made it through the whole gig. Being in crowds was unnerving then so it was a huge step for me. Ah, those were grim days, but I made it through.

The other thing I remember about Royal Court is the sloping floor - or did I imagine that? Always felt like I was falling.

Liverpool Royal Court holds very, very special memories for me. I was pretty poorly at the time, in a very bad place in my head. I’d had to move back to me mum and dad’s to recuperate. I drove to the Leeds gig the day before and had to come home 6 songs in. It was my birthday and my head was all over the place, wondering why things had turned so shite. Anyway, the following day, my dad, god bless him, offered to drive me to Liverpool and wait for me. If things got too much I could just walk out. I made it through the whole gig then found out my dad had had to wait in an underground carpark with no radio. I got home and fell in to mym mum’s arms, crying cos I’d made it through the whole gig. Being in crowds was unnerving then so it was a huge step for me. Ah, those were grim days, but I made it through.

The other thing I remember about Royal Court is the sloping floor - or did I imagine that? Always felt like I was falling.

Tough times! I have had a bit of that in last 18 months. Not good. I was in the seats as standing sold out so couldn't comment on the floor! Good gig though. I remember him doing Is it really so strange and ending with Last Night I dreamt.

MORRISSEY’S cat thinks his owner is a knob, it has emerged.

Requiescat the cat, who shares a luxury condominium with the former Smiths frontman, explained that conditions were so unbearable he had taken to frantically pressing the red button on the remote whenever he saw an RSPCA advert.

The cat said: “I am forced to eat vile vegetarian muck, some sort of textured protein that tastes as depressing as the unrequited love his lordship’s always banging on about.

“If I catch a mouse he never lets me finish killing it, but wrestles it from my jaws and starts reading it stories from the People’s Friend.

“Also the whole house smells of bittersweet nostalgia.”

The cat added: “I swear I saw him eat a KFC Boneless Bucket in the dark, when he thought I was asleep. I think he then stroked the image of the Colonel and sighed.”

However Morrissey’s dog Cromwell said: “I quite like him. Once I bit Johnny Marr and Morrissey gave me a crisp £10 note and some poetry books.”

From Daily Mash!

I was at the Chester gig - bizarre. They had to draw blinds over the squash courts so the players couldn’t see Moz (cue inevitable jokes). Blackburn was one of my favourite all time gigs, but surpassed maybe by Edinburgh fringe gig, “hello, welcome to the fringe on the fringe”, absolutely rammed, very small venue and he was spellbinding. Stoke - was there too, Victoria Hall wasn’t it? Or Trentham Gardens? Bradford was alo a great night the many times he played there, as was any of the Blackburn gigs. The soulless, huge, cavernous arenas are shite in comparison. Think he’s massively overestimated how many will be there next year - the last MEN gig was very sparsely attended. Anyway, he’s still the bollocks.

was Edinburgh The Picture House?

Did anyone else go to the Preston gig in '86 where he got a missile to the head and went off? As I recall they came on really late and there was a delay between them going off and announcing the gig was off. Enough time to get a load of coppers there in case of a riot.
That was my second Smiths gig, the first being Salford that same year. The third and last being Free Trade Hall a few days after Preston.

Did anyone else go to the Preston gig in '86 where he got a missile to the head and went off? As I recall they came on really late and there was a delay between them going off and announcing the gig was off. Enough time to get a load of coppers there in case of a riot.
That was my second Smiths gig, the first being Salford that same year. The third and last being Free Trade Hall a few days after Preston.
I thought it was sausages? There was one gig someone threw sausages at him.
Friend of mine lived in Runcorn at the time and gambled on either Llandudno or Free Trade Hall - Llandudno being the day after Preston. Sadly Llandudno was chosen and cancelled as a result of the Preston fiasco! (Morrissey in gig cancelling shocker!)
I was at G-Mex, Salford and FTH that year. Great year :)

What the bloody hell - how do you get a dog (service dog apart) into a venue and who would take it right to the front to get a hand shake from the great man?
This yesterday in Denver....
41467_denver.jpg

41468_denver2.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.