Forgotten Clubs

Very good. They are still going, in Czech 1st division

The current FK Dukla Prague is a completely different club. The original Dukla Prague suffered financial problems in the 1990s and was merged with a club called FC Příbram. The merged club played in Příbram rather than at Dukla's traditional home. Originally it retained Dukla in its name, but dropped that designation in 2000 and is now known as 1.FK Příbram. Meanwhile, Dukla Dejvice, a local Prague team founded in the fifties, changed their name to Dukla Prague in 2001. They subsequently moved to the old Dukla Prague's ground and adopted its colours. They reached the top flight for the first time in 2011. I've no idea whether the traditional Dukla fanbase regards them as a legitimate successor to the old club.

There are quite a few weird stories like this in Eastern Europe after the collapse of communism. For instance, Torpedo Moscow were champions of the Soviet Union in the sixties and knocked United out of Europe in 1992. Since then, they have a bizarre history involving breakaways, bankruptcies, mergers and reorganisations, and are now playing in the regionalised semi-pro Russian third tier.

Off to watch Gornik Zabrze next Friday, on the way home from Kharkiv next week. Their glory days were a bit before my time, but they are currently top of the Ekstraklasa. Ticket cost me £4.20.

Think we might have to define 'forgotten' as if its just we've not seen in the latter stages of European competitions then it will be a long list.

Whatever happened to Parma?? I remember when channel 4 was showing Italian football (Gazza era) and they were awesome. Some great players like Thuram, Dino Baggio, Crespo, Cannevaro.. and they were winning cups for fun.
Never hear of them now.

Newton Heath FC, liquidated in 1902 to avoid paying their debts and never revived, the ground was taken over by some JCLs who moved out of Manchester a few years later.

Whatever happened to Parma?? I remember when channel 4 was showing Italian football (Gazza era) and they were awesome. Some great players like Thuram, Dino Baggio, Crespo, Cannevaro.. and they were winning cups for fun.
Never hear of them now.
They had severe financial problems and went bust twice, the new club is now in Serie B after 2 successive promotions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.