Manchester City's plan for global domination.

The PR team are clearly earning their crust, with this plus the recent FT article projecting us in a good light.

It's a good read, even if there's little new (and a mistake saying the 2012 title win was our first major trophy in 36 years) but I'm torn on this. I understand the vision and potentially it's a great idea to have feet on the ground in these countries but I really don't care about any club other than City. And I know people who watch NYCFC who are rags or otherwise hate us. So the supposition that we're going to become fans of these clubs or that Uruguayans will all become City fans is fanciful in my opinion. However these plans reinforce the notion that the Sheikh (or at least Abu Dhabi) aren’t getting bored anytime soon and will be around for quite a while.

Ultimately though, as the biggest club in the CFG stable, it's our success that will affect the perception and global popularity of the club. All over the USA there are fan clubs and these fans gather to watch games and, having watched games with some, in both Pittsburgh & Phoenix, they are passionate. My son said over 100 people watched last Sunday's match in the Kettle Black in downtown Phoenix, the overwhelming majority being blues.

My criticism, as a match-going fan, has always been that Garry Cook saw us as real people whereas Soriano sees us as cells on a spreadsheet. That he'd be happier having 40k in the stadium paying £60 each than 55k paying £40 each. That he'll look at revenue projections and say "Increase those by 5%" with no thought at all for the impact on a working class family with a couple of kids and an already stretched budget.

I also feel that the board & executives, in their rush to create a footballing Disneyworld, took their eye off the ball as far as City were concerned. One League Cup in 3 seasons without a serious challenge for the PL is simply not a good enough return for what we’ve spent and where we think we are now as a club. Hopefully that’ll be put right this season but I want sustained and consistent success and I believe it’s taken too long to put the right factors in place. We should also have focused on gaining a foothold in the corridors of power at the FA & PL but we still seem to be seen as a target and fair game for the likes of Wenger & Mourinho, who have got that foothold. To me, that would have served our purpose better than buying some club no one’s heard of in South America.

The PR team are clearly earning their crust, with this plus the recent FT article projecting us in a good light.

It's a good read, even if there's little new (and a mistake saying the 2012 title win was our first major trophy in 36 years) but I'm torn on this. I understand the vision and potentially it's a great idea to have feet on the ground in these countries but I really don't care about any club other than City. And I know people who watch NYCFC who are rags or otherwise hate us. So the supposition that we're going to become fans of these clubs or that Uruguayans will all become City fans is fanciful in my opinion. However these plans reinforce the notion that the Sheikh (or at least Abu Dhabi) aren’t getting bored anytime soon and will be around for quite a while.

Ultimately though, as the biggest club in the CFG stable, it's our success that will affect the perception and global popularity of the club. All over the USA there are fan clubs and these fans gather to watch games and, having watched games with some, in both Pittsburgh & Phoenix, they are passionate. My son said over 100 people watched last Sunday's match in the Kettle Black in downtown Phoenix, the overwhelming majority being blues.

My criticism, as a match-going fan, has always been that Garry Cook saw us as real people whereas Soriano sees us as cells on a spreadsheet. That he'd be happier having 40k in the stadium paying £60 each than 55k paying £40 each. That he'll look at revenue projections and say "Increase those by 5%" with no thought at all for the impact on a working class family with a couple of kids and an already stretched budget.

I also feel that the board & executives, in their rush to create a footballing Disneyworld, took their eye off the ball as far as City were concerned. One League Cup in 3 seasons without a serious challenge for the PL is simply not a good enough return for what we’ve spent and where we think we are now as a club. Hopefully that’ll be put right this season but I want sustained and consistent success and I believe it’s taken too long to put the right factors in place. We should also have focused on gaining a foothold in the corridors of power at the FA & PL but we still seem to be seen as a target and fair game for the likes of Wenger & Mourinho, who have got that foothold. To me, that would have served our purpose better than buying some club no one’s heard of in South America.

I don't know what Soriano's plan for the next phase re Thetihad is, whether it will be an expansion plus less exensive seats, or as you say, empty seats & high prices, but surely the rest of your concerns are all likely to be connected to & resolved by, what is happening now ?

The 3 years after Mancini was us having to put up with an inferior manager whilst waiting for Pep, but the end result appears to be the very dream they planned for & the very thing which now sets us ahead of everyone else, we had a definite plan, & they didn't.

The satellite clubs are unlikely to breed a majority of City fans, but likely to breed 'some' & our presence in more counties, allows us to locate more players, loan more players & crucially, expand our influence, worldwide, which begins to adress your other concern re power back home, as the incresed status of the City Group, will eventually result in a stronger power base in the UK & Europe.

We are only really just starting now, is the way I look at it. The rest was a warm up.

I think we are really strong going forwards now, but mistakes have been made over the last 10 years. Don’t get me wrong, 2 league titles, an FA cup and 2 league cups have been great, but a below average return for the ‘investment’ and the position of strength we were in after our first PL success. We really should have dominated regardless of FFP.

I don't know what Soriano's plan for the next phase re Thetihad is, whether it will be an expansion plus less exensive seats, or as you say, empty seats & high prices, but surely the rest of your concerns are all likely to be connected to & resolved by, what is happening now ?
Absolutely. But my point was that should have been the over-riding priority for the suits and that they took their eyes off the ball. They now appear to be back on the ball, which is good.

I tend to see the 'mistake' as being Pellegrini.

They thought they could bring in a guy who knew what was happening & would accept it & work as a kind of interim manager, putting roots in place for the arrival of Pep as well as competing for trophies, but he had no interest in building anything & would have been happy with a team of 11, 35 year olds in their last season if it won him a couple of trophies.

What’s the point of expanding the stadium when we are still struggling to fill it completely (regardless of Sold Out as stated by the club) whilst playing the best football most of us have ever seen and breaking records left, right and centre?

We made mistakes before MP. That summer where we bought Sinclair, Rodwel, Garcia etc and then never bought Hazard etc

Absolutely. But my point was that should have been the over-riding priority for the suits and that they took their eyes off the ball. They now appear to be back on the ball, which is good.

I don't know whether it was eye off the ball, or a range of factors that made it a difficult 3 year transition in which time the PL decided two title races, and we had to carry on as business as normal with Pelle till we got to Pep. There were mistakes in the transfer market, but equally we were at that difficult point of not being as strong revenue wise as we are now (with FFP in the mix), still having a legacy issue on the Mancini era stars which at the time seemed good deals but as the club evolved quickly and their mentality came into question and not having the kudos or direction that Pep brings. Pep was crucial to the process and now hopefully everyone around him can follow that guidance to keep the show running after he's gone, the danger would be if we had our own Rosell in our ranks whose power hungry greed and desire to have their own "era" marked out in history would disrupt this.

We have a clear plan on who we sign now and hopefully we can make this our blueprint.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.