City Fans Leaving Early/Empty seats

And for those of you making your kids leave early or not taking them at all because they have school the next day - i distinctly remember as a kid (which is the main reason i have it ingrained in myself now never to leave early) that i hated it when my Dad said on 85minutes "right come on, you've got school tomorrow" and we'd be running down Claremont Road when a cheer would go up and i'd be absolutely gutted!

If only we made decisions based on what our kids wanted instead of what's best for them.

Two season ago I couldn’t make it down from Glasgow where I live to a game v Southampton, as my seasoncard wasn’t activated 3 days later I got a email from City asking what was the reason I didn’t attend the game, I though the headmaster was on to me lol.

That's not logical at all. The attendance is recorded as tickets distributed which includes all tickets sold and all tickets given out as freebies. It's nothing to do with how many turn up. The difference in sold out away attendances are down to segregation requirements.
No it isn't, it is logical cos that's how it's done! Do you think we segregated Burnley (3014) to give them 9 more seats than Liverpool (3005) and 63 more than Arsenal (2951) since they all sold out? What sort of random segregation do we have for home games??

No it isn't, it is logical cos that's how it's done! Do you think we segregated Burnley (3014) to give them 9 more seats than Liverpool (3005) and 63 more than Arsenal (2951) since they all sold out? What sort of random segregation do we have for home games??
Maybe those differences are down to the tickets given away as @prestwichblue explained are also included in the attendance or maybe those teams didnt sell all their tickets. Attendance is seats sold and as pb said plus the freebies.

What makes you think that’s how it’s done? I mean have you read it somewhere or just surmised it from the away numbers you’ve seen?

I park about a mile away and walk. What's the problem? We haven't always had trams and I'm not stuck in a jam.

For what it's worth my guess is that we have a very old set of season ticket holders. Being old they can afford to buy a ticket and not go to some of the games. If they do go they will be wanting their dinner/bed so leave early and don't fancy the walk.

Our match going support has a distinct lack of male 20-30 year olds. They are out there but cannot attend as the ground is often sold out with people waiting for a top six game before they go.

This is what makes the pricing difficult. By reducing ticket prices it just means that the older city fans will keep their ticket and not attend some as it's still worth it to them on a price per game attended basis. Have to find some way for new fans to get in and actually stay to watch the match.

Just look at the people Cheesey interviews after the game....average age 89?

It will change but it will take a few years yet.

As for atmosphere well 50-60 year olds don't tend to jump around that much and like peace and quiet. When they do wake up it's only to grumble that something isn't right or comfortable ;-)

It's not City's fault it's United for nicking a generation of fans that would have been blues. There are plenty of blues aged 8-13 though so they will eventually filter through.

Last edited:
I park about a mile away and walk. What's the problem? We haven't always had trams and I'm not stuck in a jam.

For what it's worth my guess is that we have a very old set of season ticket holders. Being old they can afford to buy a ticket and not go to some of the games. If they do go they will be wanting their dinner/bed so leave early and don't fancy the walk.

Our match going support has a distinct lack of male 20-30 year olds. They are out there but cannot attend as the ground is often sold out with people waiting for a top six game before they go.

This is what makes the pricing difficult. By reducing ticket prices it just means that the older city fans will keep their ticket and not attend some as it's still worth it to them on a price per game attended basis. Have to find some way for new fans to get in and actually attend and stay to watch the match.

Just look at the people Cheesey interviews after the game....average age 89?

It will change but it will take a few years yet.

As for atmosphere well 50-60 year olds don't tend to jump around that much and like peace and quiet. When they do wake up it's only to grumble that something isn't right or comfortable ;-)

It's not City's falult it's United for nicking a generation of fans that would have been blues. There are plenty of blues aged 8-13 though so they will eventually filter through.
So you're saying we kick old people out of their seats and get some younger 20-30 fans in? ;)

Last edited:
So you're saying we kick old people out of their seats and get some younger 20-30 fans in? ;)

We can't kick them out as they aren't actually there half the time and they are difficult to catch on the mobility scooters ;-) of course this is a sweeping generalisation.

We can't kick them out as they aren't actually there half the time and they are difficult to catch on the mobility scooters ;-) of course this is a sweeping generalisation.
Joking aside I think you are onto something there, would it be wrong to use the North Stand expansion to specifically target this? i.e try and make sure those extra seats go to that age group(discounts for new fans in that demographic), maybe re-arrange the stand so there's a big section of them together to guarantee a lively, vocal end of the ground to get everyone else going? (bigger than current singing section)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.