Stoke (A) Post Match thread

That was a good game for us, I thought that while we were always comfortable, there'll be loads of stuff for individual players to work on in their warm weather break because our attacks seemed to follow similar patterns repeatedly there were some really obvious things that kept happening which could be fixed.
That's the scary thing about this team - we're already miles ahead of every other English team and yet there's still a lot of low hanging fruit.

Not sure about all this second gear stuff. I heard it after Chelsea, Arse (twice) and again tonight and after loads of games earlier in the season.
Pep must be a bloody awful manager if we play so many games in "second gear". I think it's more a case of us having a style of play that looks fairly relaxed but is still extremely effective. We don't run around aimlessly like blue-arsed flies just for the fun of it, rather we have players making intelligent runs which are only appreciated if the pass is made.
As for tonight; the fans were brilliant, it was bloody cold, and it took half an hour to get out of the car park.
Burger was above average for an away game.
Stoke fans boo all visiting teams as their own team give them nothing to cheer about.
On the pitch David was excellent, Butland made a few good saves and we were never in any real danger.
First time this season I've heard City fans singing "We're gonna win the league", but as a mate of mine said; fans of every other club have been saying it for months.

loved the insight that other managers will say it's down to the oil money rather than tell their owners "Pep's a better coach than I am".

And the other clip of Kompany saying Pep called him over to tell him how Crouch would play. "Pep's not been in the Premier League long".

At the final whistle the Stoke players must have thought "thank fuck for that". Chasing shadows all night, being harried and chased every time they had possession (rare though that was) must be soul-destroying. They stuck at it though, but that had a lot to do with City and their pragmatic game management imo. Prior to this season it is not something we excelled at. When David Silva hangs up his boots we should reward him with a gold baton, he is like the world's greatest conductor, bringing the best out of already excellent artists. A great performance from our fans as well, sounded like a home game, except we are never that loud at home....
The only cloud on the horizon, for me anyway, is that the premier league does not prepare us for the challenges that the latter stages of the champs league will pose, but that is out of our hands obviously.
Finally, if there is a "cooler" player than Eddie in world football, i haven't seen him. What a signing.

Watching this game and several others this season I've decided my favourite thing is how we don't do the things that football teams are expected to do. We don't swing the ball in at every corner. We sometimes get free kicks outwide and we play a quick simple pass to keep the ball moving rather than swing it in. We don't cede possession at a drop ball :)

It's like we've decided to analyse every single little thing to figure out if it works and discarded much of the fundamentals that every team does. There was a moment second half when Joe Allen received the ball in loads of space and he took a touch to turn away from goal - i was surprised and it seemed like a weird choice because every one of our players would have taken the touch and moved forward into the space.

KDB is ridiculously imaganitive but he's also one of our most effective defensive players.

This team is unbelievable

We played well but I didn't enjoy watching it as it's Stoke away in their subbuteo stadium, inhabited by six fingered neanderthals who would rather boo us at every opportunity than get behind their team.

Never liked them since Pullis, can't stand em now.

And if any of them are intelligent enough to read this "oreet mi duck, you're Stoke, you're a fuckin joke mi duck".

What a fantastic performance, again. Silva's finishing has gone up a level this season it seems. Komps back to his best. Good Days

Not sure about all this second gear stuff. I heard it after Chelsea, Arse (twice) and again tonight and after loads of games earlier in the season.
Pep must be a bloody awful manager if we play so many games in "second gear". I think it's more a case of us having a style of play that looks fairly relaxed but is still extremely effective.

I think both views are right. Our style is deceptively effective but I also think that in the recent intense run of matches and with all the injuries we quite rightly adopt a Job Done approach. Conserving energy and limbs for the next match.

Certainly in the second Arsenal game, as one of the pundits said, the game finished 3-0 because we decided three was enough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.