Liverpool thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the thing that is most annoying is Liverpool Football club's refusal to accept that there is a new world order. That Liverpool can not longer buy the title with their littlewoods pools money.

it is no longer 1985.

I'd say the delusional Liverpool fans still behave like it is.
They write tragic poems about this.

Ah. A what do we hate most about Liverpool covo.

If I have to chime in I’d say the one thing that annoys me about us is our unwavering confidence, even after winning bugger all for a long time. Don’t get me wrong, confidence is nice and all, but I always find that bizarre. I’m the complete opposite, guess you could say I’m a pessimist.

But I find it odd how all Liverpool fans aren’t all pessimists I guess. After all that’s happened you’d expect the whole fan base to be pessimistic. Yet some of us are talking about CL finals and next years title charge.

When you’re as optimistic and confident as you lot with fuck all to back it up it becomes delusion.

#weredeluded

Ah. A what do we hate most about Liverpool covo.

If I have to chime in I’d say the one thing that annoys me about us is our unwavering confidence, even after winning bugger all for a long time. Don’t get me wrong, confidence is nice and all, but I always find that bizarre. I’m the complete opposite, guess you could say I’m a pessimist.

But I find it odd how all Liverpool fans aren’t all pessimists I guess. After all that’s happened you’d expect the whole fan base to be pessimistic. Yet some of us are talking about CL finals and next years title charge.
All of us get nervous and pessimistic before games, but surely once you are in the ground and it kicks off, you hav to believe we will win. Yeah, maybe it is delusion. But its better than being defeatist.

Even you know the littlewoods pools money is a myth, used in the last few years, to justify other teams spending. Liverpool never spent loads more than anyone else. Forest and City were buying million pound players way before Liverpool.
I don't know if you have read Shankly's autobiography but I have.
At the beginning of Chapter 7, he describes how he was struggling to get the board to stump up £3k (ea) for two (unnamed) players. He then hails "a man of vision", Eric Sawyer - director of Littlewood's Pools for arranging the investment that allowed (the then second division Liverpool) spend £30,000 each on Yeats and St John. He then mentions, in passing, the "surprise" and "negativity" this caused in the media of the day.
Now, firstly, I'm not surprised if you haven't read the great man's autobiography. There's no reason why you should. You're a football fan, not a history student. There's lots written every about your club and - let's face it, it's only the words of the guy who started it all. Hey, Liverpool FC did ban the book from the club shop for 25 years. So, y'know, let's not let the uncomfortable version of history spoil the narrative.
Secondly though, you're suggestion that Littlewood's bankrolling Liverpool's success is revisionist nonsense is, itself, utter bollocks. Either that or you know more about how the roots of modern-day Liverpool were financed than Bill Shankly did.

I don't know if you have read Shankly's autobiography but I have.
At the beginning of Chapter 7, he describes how he was struggling to get the board to stump up £3k (ea) for two (unnamed) players. He then hails "a man of vision", Eric Sawyer - director of Littlewood's Pools for arranging the investment that allowed (the then second division Liverpool) spend £30,000 each on Yeats and St John. He then mentions, in passing, the "surprise" and "negativity" this caused in the media of the day.
Now, firstly, I'm not surprised if you haven't read the great man's autobiography. There's no reason why you should. You're a football fan, not a history student. There's lots written every about your club and - let's face it, it's only the words of the guy who started it all. Hey, Liverpool FC did ban the book from the club shop for 25 years. So, y'know, let's not let the uncomfortable version of history spoil the narrative.
Secondly though, you're suggestion that Littlewood's bankrolling Liverpool's success is revisionist nonsense is, itself, utter bollocks. Either that or you know more about how the roots of modern-day Liverpool were financed than Bill Shankly did.
Its not a secret that Eric Sawyer was brought in to help with transfers and Yeats and St John came in after he was appointed to the board. But that isnt the point I made. The myth is that Liverpool were outspending everyone else and that isnt true. Whilst we were paying less than 40,000 for St John, United were paying over 100,000 for Law.

Its not a secret that Eric Sawyer was brought in to help with transfers and Yeats and St John came in after he was appointed to the board. But that isnt the point I made. The myth is that Liverpool were outspending everyone else and that isnt true. Whilst we were paying less than 40,000 for St John, United were paying over 100,000 for Law.
As it should be. United we're a division ahead of ye and Law (brace yourself) was a top player whose previous transfer (from City) broke a British record.
And when Liverpool were established, they broke that record again, bringing another player down from Scotland.
And by the way, Eric Sawyer wasn't "brought in to help", he invested, just like his partners on the board did, just like Abramovich does at Chelsea and oh, I'm sure you can think of other examples.

I think the thing that is most annoying is Liverpool Football club's refusal to accept that there is a new world order. That Liverpool can not longer buy the title with their littlewoods pools money.

it is no longer 1985.

I'd say the delusional Liverpool fans still behave like it is.
I was born in 1985, can't actually remember the dippers winning the league.

As it should be. United we're a division ahead of ye and Law (brace yourself) was a top player whose previous transfer (from City) broke a British record.
And when Liverpool were established, they broke that record again, bringing another player down from Scotland.
And by the way, Eric Sawyer wasn't "brought in to help", he invested, just like his partners on the board did, just like Abramovich does at Chelsea and oh, I'm sure you can think of other examples.
Yeah, that record was broken in 1977 using record money gained from Hamburg and well after titles and European trophies had been won. I wonder why Everton didnt do the same, seen as Littlewoods were far more involved with them. To compare the investment to Abramovich and others is out of all proportion.

Yeah, that record was broken in 1977 using record money gained from Hamburg and well after titles and European trophies had been won. I wonder why Everton didnt do the same, seen as Littlewoods were far more involved with them. To compare the investment to Abramovich and others is out of all proportion.
Ah, so Liverpool were established entitled to spend money... I see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.