Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think probably you and @gordondaviesmoustache have probably hit the nail on the head. Plus its also seems part of the psyche of the football fan that everyone is against their club.

In fairness I think we have had some justifiable reasons moan over the years, such as the BT coverage, Pete the badge etc. Now we seem to be moaning about trivial things and trying to make out its representative of all reporting, rather than just the consistent drivel of certain publications which afflicts most clubs.

The media narrative has certainly turned in our favour this year thanks to the brilliance of our football. I agree with you that fans can sometimes become "obssessed" with the way their team is covered. That said I don't believe that if you ignore negative coverage it will go away and if there are inaccuracies and false narratives out there than it is important that they are challenged. People like Gary James and Ian Cheeseman do a fantastic job defending the reputation of out club and reputation is important for our commercial success.

The police figures given at old trafford were very specific (64,294, 64,996 and 66,847)...which is odd if they were guessing...someone's telling porkies.

Some people will simply always look for negatives, as they enjoy feeling indignant.
I don't think it's that some of us continually look for things to be offended by, its the fact that we have been kicked for so long that you do question the ulterior motive of some articles. Having read the article again without the insight of alcohol, it is reasonably balanced, but the tone of the article and many others around this game still feels as if the hacks are very pro Liverpool.
I fully get the fact that we are the team to beat and it's great to be considered in that way, but putting City on a pedestal and looking for reasons why we either should not be there (usually money related) or revelling in who is going to beat us is not really praise. It will be interesting what the tone of the media is like if, or should I say when, we get to the Semis.

I posted a few days ago that a Blue I know contacted the GMP a couple of years ago with a Freedom of Information request asking for updated police attendance figures for the rags. They replied that they don't keep separate figures and their figures agree with the club's. Neither he nor I believe this for a second but the GMP were embarrassed in 2013 when an FOI request from United fan group Reds Away resulted in full details of true OT attendances with 10,000-30,000 empty seats for games they claimed were full houses made public so I assume they're not prepared to give out similar information any more.

The question therefore is how did the Sun obtain these 'police figures' when the GMP no longer release this information because they deny it even exists? The only possible answer is that the Sun has made all this shit up.

Can anyone apply for a FOI? Do you need to be in the UK to do it?

There is lots more to come. On the podcast, Mo Salah is elevated to God hood. Aparantly all Liverpool have to do is turn up.
I listened to it and they have us as favourites and their European bod said the Italian teams were scared of us and not Liverpool should we go through.

The police figures given at old trafford were very specific (64,294, 64,996 and 66,847)...which is odd if they were guessing...someone's telling porkies.
For what it's worth I don't believe those figures for United either. The Rags are similar to us (whether they believe it or not). They get up to a few thousand no-shows mainly in the upper tiers. The police figures are estimates not tickets sold.

I don't think it's that some of us continually look for things to be offended by, its the fact that we have been kicked for so long that you do question the ulterior motive of some articles.
I think for many City fans that’s fair comment and understandable up to a point. Some of the snide articles we’ve been subject to in the last nine years or so simply wouldn’t have been printed if they were about united, Spurs or Liverpool (less so Arsenal, who get a relatively hard time in the press). However, I also think that a decent number of our supporters do look for things to be offended by, which they are always going to find given the nature of journalism in this country.

I think for many City fans that’s fair comment and understandable up to a point. Some of the snide articles we’ve been subject to in the last nine years or so simply wouldn’t have been printed if they were about united, Spurs or Liverpool (less so Arsenal, who get a relatively hard time in the press). However, I also think that a decent number of our supporters do look for things to be offended by, which they are always going to find given the nature of journalism in this country.
Agree with this. That's why we should pick our battles carefully. It's the lack of respect that gets under my skin. I drank with some great Everton fans in the pub on Saturday and we compared notes about Liverpool fans and Rags. The reason they despise Liverpool so much (and it has now become a very ugly fixture off the field) is that the Liverpool fans have treated them with contempt for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.