Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with this. That's why we should pick our battles carefully. It's the lack of respect that gets under my skin. I drank with some great Everton fans in the pub on Saturday and we compared notes about Liverpool fans and Rags. The reason they despise Liverpool so much (and it has now become a very ugly fixture off the field) is that the Liverpool fans have treated them with contempt for decades.
I had the misfortune about 5 years ago of having to spend an afternoon in Liverpool, waiting for a passport so ended up having a couple of beers in the City Centre. The red dippers were playing that evening in Europe and the place was packed with tourists and their souvenirs from the club shops. Everton fans we got talking to just hate the out of towners so much, they just talk so much shite. A girl decked in her dipper outfit came out with the following gem "how long is the interval at football?" I fucking pissed myself, no further questioning of the accused is required my Lord.

I think for many City fans that’s fair comment and understandable up to a point. Some of the snide articles we’ve been subject to in the last nine years or so simply wouldn’t have been printed if they were about united, Spurs or Liverpool (less so Arsenal, who get a relatively hard time in the press). However, I also think that a decent number of our supporters do look for things to be offended by, which they are always going to find given the nature of journalism in this country.

That has always been my argument over the years, although some have tried to twist it that I defend the standard of journalism and journalists.

Organisations like the Sun/Talksport will always write contentious garbage, clickbait material which often has little relevance with the truth, but its not unique to City. Just a dumbing down of standards across the board and sadly the target audience seem to lap it up.

Journalism is at its lowest ebb but you can see why they do it, for clicks, as even on a City website all the links being offered are negative articles about the club. Slagging city off is a cash cow on this forum.

My issue is the justification of so many United stories online, take for example the Daily Mail online. The argument being that stories relating to them generate more clicks. Surely if you (Daily Mail) promote so many articles and promote them to the Headline then fans of all clubs will generally click.

So when does this become reporting the news, or generating the traffic for news to justify the reporting levels? If the Mail were to feature any other club in the same high profile way then after a short period of time I'm pretty sure the mantra would be "it's what people want to read according to the traffic analysis"

In short what I'm saying is the 'agenda' to keep Utd relevant, and City not isn't because of user traffic, in my opinion the media are the ones that drive the traffic to these stories.

My issue is the justification of so many United stories online, take for example the Daily Mail online. The argument being that stories relating to them generate more clicks. Surely if you (Daily Mail) promote so many articles and promote them to the Headline then fans of all clubs will generally click.

So when does this become reporting the news, or generating the traffic for news to justify the reporting levels? If the Mail were to feature any other club in the same high profile way then after a short period of time I'm pretty sure the mantra would be "it's what people want to read according to the traffic analysis"

In short what I'm saying is the 'agenda' to keep Utd relevant, and City not isn't because of user traffic, in my opinion the media are the ones that drive the traffic to these stories.

I get your point mate but it cannot be a coincidence that pretty much all outfits do it, clearly from their research they get more hits if they feature United.

Just to put it in another context do you think its fair we get more coverage than West Ham, Newcastle or Everton? Is that bias against those clubs? Or the press pushing us over them?

Sadly, and for some this is hard to take, united will always get more coverage than us until we become more popular than them. It is a business decision.

Quite a turnaround at BT Sport, Keown and Rio were positively frothing with admiration for our display on Saturday. Rio was honest regarding his bias but it didn't stop him from being extremely complimentary about Manager and team. Changed days from some of the CL coverage they have given us in the past.

Keown has been complimentary to us all season

I had the misfortune about 5 years ago of having to spend an afternoon in Liverpool, waiting for a passport so ended up having a couple of beers in the City Centre. The red dippers were playing that evening in Europe and the place was packed with tourists and their souvenirs from the club shops. Everton fans we got talking to just hate the out of towners so much, they just talk so much shite. A girl decked in her dipper outfit came out with the following gem "how long is the interval at football?" I fucking pissed myself, no further questioning of the accused is required my Lord.

Nothing wrong with that. My son who is a season ticket holder but only comes to keep me company and is more interested in artistic matters asked me years ago when he first came to a game "how long do they remain back stage".

Agree with this. That's why we should pick our battles carefully. It's the lack of respect that gets under my skin. I drank with some great Everton fans in the pub on Saturday and we compared notes about Liverpool fans and Rags. The reason they despise Liverpool so much (and it has now become a very ugly fixture off the field) is that the Liverpool fans have treated them with contempt for decades.

I too had a couple of pints with some great Evertonians on Saturday and was quite surprised by (but in full agreement with) the extent of their loathing for their red neighbours. It appears that, if it ever existed, 'The Friendly Derby' has long since had its day, they despise them with the same level of vitriol we have for the rags who, incidentally, aren't looked upon with that much less contempt by Everton fans.

Last edited:
Anyone reckons Daily Mail will do a report on Liverpool players arriving at their training ground in their expensively cars?
Or did the reporter had to do a special on City after the interviews with just various former Liverpool players and their “objective” look at the upcoming CL game at Anfield.

Not trying to suggest there is some kind of agenda. Or looking for things that aren’t there. Simply wondering ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.