World Cup 2018 | 18th June | England vs Tunisia Match Thread

Why did we struggle though ?

We could have had 4-5 goals on another day, Sterling and Lingard missing huge chances. Penalty appeals that could have gone our way.

We camped them in their own half for the whole game. They had one shot on shot on target and that was the penalty.

Opening games at the World Cup are never easy against opposition determined to foul and time waste - they were hard to break down but we played very well.

It’s just typical fans mentality. Dont win by a cricket score and every player is ‘sh*t’ and the manager should have used different tactics.
I do think that playing SEVEN defensive players (‘keeper, three centre halves, two wing backs and a defensive mid) when you are going to have 63% possession is stupid to be honest.

That’s most of the team who are not going to contribute to creating chances. And while we did dominate possession, after the equaliser what did we create? Hardly a thing.

We also had two right footers playing on the left (McGuire left centre half of three and Young left wing back) and they continually just looked inside for a pass.

I do think that playing SEVEN defensive players (‘keeper, three centre halves, two wing backs and a defensive mid) when you are going to have 63% possession is stupid to be honest.

That’s most of the team who are not going to contribute to creating chances. And while we did dominate possession, after the equaliser what did we create? Hardly a thing.

We also had two right footers playing on the left (McGuire left centre half of three and Young left wing back) and they continually just looked inside for a pass.
I think the wingbacks are both attacking/defensive players tbh.
My criticism though is young didn't offer anything going forward.
One of three/four players I think will be dropped on Sunday

Lingard missed three absolute sitters , but there is no talk of him being replaced in the next game , Rashford did sweet F.A. when he came on apart from run at the opposition with no end product , Blindalley Rashford should be his nick name , because he produces nowt apart from a flukey winner in a friendly which a keeper like Ederson would have through his cap on. Walker also got the treatment over the penalty , which was a diabolical decision (i wonder what the reaction there would have been if Gurner Jones had made the same challenge). England games just appear to be another opportunity to bash our players , Stones was even regarded as a bit shaky by one knobhead journalist , when he was head and shoulders our best defender, god help us if Delph gets a game , he will get slaughtered.

Lingard missed three absolute sitters , but there is no talk of him being replaced in the next game , Rashford did sweet F.A. when he came on apart from run at the opposition with no end product , Blindalley Rashford should be his nick name , because he produces nowt apart from a flukey winner in a friendly which a keeper like Ederson would have through his cap on. Walker also got the treatment over the penalty , which was a diabolical decision (i wonder what the reaction there would have been if Gurner Jones had made the same challenge). England games just appear to be another opportunity to bash our players , Stones was even regarded as a bit shaky by one knobhead journalist , when he was head and shoulders our best defender, god help us if Delph gets a game , he will get slaughtered.

Sorry but this is a part of the problem that someone else bought up earlier - people like yourself are fixated with club loyalty and so will bash other players because ‘their not getting the same treatment as yours’. Forget who they play for and just support em. Let the media and social media mob slag off who they want, there’s no stopping it unfortunately, we’re a nation of moaners and haters.

Sorry but this is a part of the problem that someone else bought up earlier - people like yourself are fixated with club loyalty and so will bash other players because ‘their not getting the same treatment as yours’. Forget who they play for and just support em. Let the media and social media mob slag off who they want, there’s no stopping it unfortunately, we’re a nation of moaners and haters.

It is a shame how people cannot get behind the team and support the lads. In the Euro's and the last World Cup we played boring, defence minded football and failed to create chances. Something which resulted in us getting knocked out in the group stage and losing to Iceland.

At the time all most people wanted to see was for us to be more attack minded, pick players on merit and give some of the younger players a chance. Southgate has done exactly that, won the opening game of the tournament and people are still moaning.

The problem is that people seem to want perfection and anything less means that there needs to be changes. England fans are eternal pessimists who would rather view last night's result as needing a 91st min winner to scrape past Tunisia rather than an good performance, albeit lacking end product with a poor referee.

We play like that against Panama and we'll hammer them and I hope Southgate goes with the exact same 11 and allow them to build some momentum.

That said, I wouldn't criticise any City fan for defending Sterling when looking at the amount of unfair shit he gets.

The problem there is a large majority of In-ger-land fans take their knowledge from the pundits who peddle the same agendas as the press and of course the paper they read while they are taking a shit in the morning.

We all know as far as the british press are concerened Sterling is a target before a ball is kicked even when he has a good game and/or provides assists they'll mention a yellow card as the headline. When he has fairly annonymous game or wastes even one chance "he's had a shocker"... the point is he's unfairly judged by standards players like Rashford and Lingard aren't and some City fans are simply illustrating that by pointing out how lightly they are getting away from games in comparison to Sterling, it's a matter of fact that they are(half time, post match analysis especially across BBC and ITV). Worse than getting away light Rashford and Henderson have been said to have had "excellent" performances, where on the form the media are showing Sterling doing just as good nay, much better would have still got glossed over or instead of praise footage combed over to highlight "room for improvement" or any significant mistake as the takeaway from the performance.

Last edited:

Support Lingard,Rashford,Young and Gurner , kin 'ell thats a bit of a stretch , if the criticism was evenly handed i could possibly take your advice of just supporting them , and i admire your neutrality and ability to look at the bigger picture , i doff my cap. But i would rather use a cheese grater on my testicles as a form of foreplay(possibly the wrong forum:) than give any of those four Rag fuckers any encouragement. If that comes across as somewhat treacherous , i will just have to live happily with it

Support Lingard,Rashford,Young and Gurner , kin 'ell thats a bit of a stretch , if the criticism was evenly handed i could possibly take your advice of just supporting them , and i admire your neutrality and ability to look at the bigger picture , i doff my cap. But i would rather use a cheese grater on my testicles as a form of foreplay(possibly the wrong forum:) than give any of those four Rag fuckers any encouragement. If that comes across as somewhat treacherous , i will just have to live happily with it

Haha. Then you’ll never support England which is pretty sad. Half the team are Spurs players and I hate spurs! But c’mon, bunch of young English lads at end of the day. They get my support.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.