Kia Sportage

The Mrs has a KX4 on lease. Apart from an issue with the headlamps which required 4 visits to the dealer in the first 5 weeks its been sound.Finding out that the bulbs are about £120 each and are dealer fit only has certainly put me off buying it when the lease runs out.I wonder what other shocks we would be in for as it got older? Fuel consumption is what I would consider poor (36mpg overall) compared with nearly 50 mpg on the 5 series tourer that we chopped in.
Relatively comfortable ride ( the Kia, not the Mrs!) and some welcome features like heated seats/ steering wheel for winter and cooled seats for if it warms up a bit.
All in all it rates as OK but I wouldn't have another.

Wow sounds like someone is pulling your leg, replacement headlamp bulbs are $68 on ebay (around 38 quid) for 2) and if you go on Kia forums plenty have changed and even upgraded to HID's themselves.

A bloke in our pub cant give his Kia Sportage away and its only 9 or 10 yrs old. From what he says, the 7 year warranty is brilliant, but after that the repairs are not manageable. Something routine went wrong, that on other cars would just be a new part, but large parts of the workings on them come in large complete units that mean individual components come in large and eye wateringly expensive sections. It is thousands to fix a part that should be a couple of hundred quid. I dont know, I am a car minge, but this is what he was saying and other car savvy people in the boozer seemed to agree
Its hard to work on most new cars these days as parts are sealed, I dont think KIA are any different to say Nissan or Ford. I think this bloke is exaggerating, maybe KIA pissed him off with a quote (like main dealers do on post warranty repairs)
Find a small local garage, who is trustworthy (recommendations), a good self employed mechanic should give honest opions.

However there are repairs and maintenance you can carry out, again KIA forums is a good starting point.

http://www.kia-forums.com/do-yourself/

The best advice I can give to anyone looking to purchase a Kia or Hyundai is to buy a BMW.

The best advice I can give to anyone looking to purchase a Kia or Hyundai is to buy a BMW.

I wouldnt advise that, you can probably buy both a Kia and Hyundai for the price of one BMW.......... my guess is you paying the price of a Korean car for the badge/snob value/oneupmanship :)

A quick check on the 10 most reliable cars in Oz reveals that both Korean models are in the top 10 for reliability whereas BMW are not

Top 3 are Mazda, Toyota and Honda

SUV's are hateful cars. Utterly pointless. Shit off road, shit on road and less room than you think. And fucking ugly. Awful things. If you want a roomy car that drives well get a Volvo estate.

Have to disagree, having traded in a V70 for a Kuga. Handling, steering and ride quality the Kuga runs rings around the Volvo. Build quality nowhere near the Volvo though, and you’re right about the space inside.

I've had a Kia C'eed estate for 4 years and it's been fantastic. Going to trade it in this year for another. Great service plans and great customer care. I needed new discs and pads this year and went to Kwik fit for a quote. They were more expensive than the dealer.

Been looking for a SUV for my mrs as she now struggles to get in and out of her vw polo. Looking at Honda crv, Merc b class, nissan x trail etc. Gotta be automatic and decent on fuel (merc seems to win this). Any ideas?

I've had a Kia C'eed estate for 4 years and it's been fantastic. Going to trade it in this year for another. Great service plans and great customer care. I needed new discs and pads this year and went to Kwik fit for a quote. They were more expensive than the dealer.
How many miles has it done ?

Been looking for a SUV for my mrs as she now struggles to get in and out of her vw polo. Looking at Honda crv, Merc b class, nissan x trail etc. Gotta be automatic and decent on fuel (merc seems to win this). Any ideas?
I do know the X Trail has a very good reputation here in Oz mate

I dont know much about them personally but people love them here

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.