John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile what was Stones thinking about?

He's thinking about clearing the ball when it comes in, like he'd done 12 times before in the game, and Perisic, the MOTM who was in front of him.

You'd have to be stupid and have an agenda to try and push all the blame for that goal on Stones.

you could argue maguire was a major part in that. and you say mistakes' but name me one other mistake hes made this tournament. hes been one the best players at world cup. i think hes done as much as he can to convince pep right now. Kompany, otamendi both made a few ' mistakes.. name me a player who doesnt.

he can't win with some on here.

Maguire had part in it but i say stones was more at fault. I never was convinced with his defending when we bought him but willing to put up with his mistakes even those leading to chances on goals by the opposition early in his city career cuz I think he has potential.

When I say mistakes I include those that caused him to lose his starting spot at city. Pep isn't going to judge him on one world cup. Besides he did not face a top class side until Croatia and I am hesitant to put them in the top class bracket. Once the pressure is on, I'm afraid he isn't up to par. but we will see how he goes when the season start. I think komps and Laporte will start. But that is my opinion.

I'm going to keep repeating this - Maguire was marking Mandzukic and didn't alert stones that he'd wandered into Stones defensive zone. Stones may get the blame but it's Maguire's mistake.

Didn't matter who was marking mandzukic. A top class defender would have been alert and ready to be clear but mandzukic somehow managed to be about two yards clear of him in the box with a clear shot on goal. Even though Stones was nearer to the ball when it was headed into the box.

I'm not gonna call it Sunday league error but it did not look good how he completely switched off to the danger.

Didn't matter who was marking mandzukic. A top class defender would have been alert and ready to be clear but mandzukic somehow managed to be about two yards clear of him in the box with a clear shot on goal. Even though Stones was nearer to the ball when it was headed into the box.

I'm not gonna call it Sunday league error but it did not look good how he completely switched off to the danger.

Even Maldini sometimes switched off. So did Cannavaro. So did Terry. So did Campbell. So does Vinnie.

It happens, especially well after 90 mins of an extremely gruelling game. He was largely imperious and should be very happy with his WC.

You're correct that he should've had better awareness whats behind him but it's extra time in a Semi Final and you're probably both physically and mentally drained. I also think Stones has that awareness in 9 of 10 times, as does any top class defender. All defenders (apart from Godin?) makes a mistake every now and then. Stones hasn't put a foot wrong during the whole tournament and was a giant at the back today. He was just unlucky that when they didn't communicate well and he reacted 0,2 sec too late it got punished.

Maguire had part in it but i say stones was more at fault. I never was convinced with his defending when we bought him but willing to put up with his mistakes even those leading to chances on goals by the opposition early in his city career cuz I think he has potential.

When I say mistakes I include those that caused him to lose his starting spot at city. Pep isn't going to judge him on one world cup. Besides he did not face a top class side until Croatia and I am hesitant to put them in the top class bracket. Once the pressure is on, I'm afraid he isn't up to par. but we will see how he goes when the season start. I think komps and Laporte will start. But that is my opinion.

name me a defender that doesnt make mistakes occasionally or loses concentration. all the best have done it. overall this tournament he has been brilliant and defended everything. i dont really get why you are deciding to look at the negatives and be so pessimistic about him now, after this tournament. he can't help who he played against either and all of the other top class centre backs pretty much all lost concentration swell.

look at the positives of young defender with huge potential. no reason to overreact and be so negative about one loss of concentration in a grueling game. hes been brilliant. if he plays like that for us we have one of the best centre backs in europe.

Even Maldini sometimes switched off. So did Cannavaro. So did Terry. So did Campbell. So does Vinnie.

It happens, especially well after 90 mins of an extremely gruelling game. He was largely imperious and should be very happy with his WC.

Yes everyone makes mistake. Moreover For sure he has a good world cup overall. Even scored a couple goals! I'm not denying that. Would love to see him against better opposition and performing faultless like cannavaro in 06 but I'm expecting alot then for a young defender. Anyway feel like I'm attacking him but I'm really not. I do hope he can win back the starting spot at city because I think he has potential.

I never was convinced with his defending when we bought him but willing to put up with his mistakes even those leading to chances on goals by the opposition early in his city career cuz I think he has potential

Ah Ok, it's the old "I decided he wasn't a good defender when he arrived and I'm not going to change my mind".

name me a defender that doesnt make mistakes occasionally or loses concentration. all the best have done it. overall this tournament he has been brilliant and defended everything. i dont really get why you are deciding to look at the negatives and be so pessimistic about him now, after this tournament. he can't help who he played against either and all of the other top class centre backs pretty much all lost concentration swell.

look at the positives of young defender with huge potential. no reason to overreact and be so negative about one loss of concentration in a grueling game.

I don't get why people are so sensitive about this. This is a mistake pure and simple. He had a good WC without facing top class opposition and made an error pure and simple that led to a goal. Just calling as it is. He will move on from this. You guys need to that too. Jeez his fans are so defensive. No pun intended. Again I hope he does well for city and win back his starting spot. So, I'm out. Not much point going on and on about this if his fans are going to defend him to the death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.