Brian Cox

I’d love to know how he thinks satellites can stay up above the Earth to broadcast the football and telephone signals around the world if not in geostationary orbit.

Does he think the sun, moon or the other planets are flat or spheres?

I still think he’s trolling.
It's all CGI mate and has been for centuries, that's why Galileo and Newton got it all so wrong, or they were also just government stooges. It's all so obvious when you really don't think about it.

Trolling or not, either way it's pathetic.

Stoner blue, Im with your friend on this one , I to believe the earth to be flat or definitely not round. Used to believe everything that was taught to me at school but not anymore. There are plenty of proofs you just have to unlearn and look things with an open mind your sences and common sense.
It’s definitely not round/spherical.

It’s fatter at the equator and flatter at the poles than it would be was it a proper sphere and actually is a bit more ‘all over the shop’ compared to what people think. But it’s not flat. More like this shape:

Real-shape-of+Earth.jpg

The aurora borealis and aurora australis are good examples for why the Earth is not flat: our weaker magnetic field at both poles interact with the Sun’s particles and create the lights you see in extreme Northern or Southern latitudes. If the Earth was flat you’d see them everywhere but from about 54°N/S you don’t see them.

Also Winter and Summer at the Poles show you why the Earth is not flat as well. With 24 hours of sunlight or darkness (depending on what season you are in at which pole) shows that there’s a rounder horizon. If the Earth was flat and you lived in a place with 24 hours of darkness it would mean you lived underneath the plate of the Earth and if you were trying to go to the other side of the Earth, say from Anarctica to the Arctic in a plane, how would you get there, would you have to leave the Earth’s atmosphere, go into space and get round the other side of the flat Earth’s plate?

It’s definitely not round/spherical.

It’s fatter at the equator and flatter at the poles than it would be was it a proper sphere and actually is a bit more ‘all over the shop’ compared to what people think. But it’s not flat. More like this shape:

Real-shape-of+Earth.jpg
That’s not a representation of the shape, which is a sphere.

Re: that picture from the European Space Agency:

“Markedly different from a simple sphere or ellipsoid, the geoid is the mathematically 'true' shape of Earth. It represents a motionless global ocean but takes into account the effects of the Earth’s rotation, weight difference resulting from the position of mountains and ocean trenches, and uneven mass distribution and density variations in the planet’s interior.”

That’s not a representation of the shape, which is a sphere.

Re: that picture from the European Space Agency:

“Markedly different from a simple sphere or ellipsoid, the geoid is the mathematically 'true' shape of Earth. It represents a motionless global ocean but takes into account the effects of the Earth’s rotation, weight difference resulting from the position of mountains and ocean trenches, and uneven mass distribution and density variations in the planet’s interior.”
Ah I see, so that’s just the peaks and troughs of the surface taken into consideration but not a representation of the actual water surface or atmosphere above that?

It can't possibly be round because it's 3 dimensional not 2 dimensional. It does appear round from space.
In fact it's spherical, almost, with a slight bulge at the equator (presumably due to the spin) and slight flattening at the poles.

hopefully you are taking the piss with that mate

hopefully you are taking the piss with that mate
errr... hopefully he isn't, as it's correct.

The earth is a slightly flattened (at poles) 3D sphere, it's certainly not 2D round, which implies flat.

errr... hopefully he isn't, as it's correct.

The earth is a slightly flattened (at poles) 3D sphere, it's certainly not 2D round, which implies flat.

i know that, i'm hoping he was just being being a clever dick in the response, i was responding to the initial not round comment to mean not 3d sphere flattened at the poles.

keyboard warriors i don't know

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.