Sam Allardyce: Epitome of why English football has lagged behind

The true idiots in English football are the ones who who rather endure a pretty 5 nil loss than win an game ugly 1-0. Allardyce has been doing it for years and United won 13 titles by doing the same a lot of the time.

Yep. Many fans use that. ‘ I’d rather see us lose and try and play the right way than that sh*t’ .... yet try telling the same fan that after a defeat in which the team was unlucky to lose. No one accepts defeat.

You can keep repeating it all you like, the only way the Arsenal players are going to learn to judge those situations is through experience of playing the style. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, Allardyce had the same scoreline last season in a home match against City, after having far more time with his team, with 18% possession, clearing the ball as far as they could every chance they got. Everton didn't create a single chance in that game, Arsenal created a few yesterday. His style suits clubs like Bolton. It doesn't work at clubs with the resources of Everton, never mind Arsenal.
Arsenal didn’t actually create one chance against us. We gave the ball away innumerable times, with some fairly sloppy playing it out from the back and they could have scored twice as a result, which isn’t quite the same.

His record in saving/promoting/improving clubs is not disputed.

It’s the fact that he is criticising other managers/head coaches for their tactics, when his are terrible and from another era.

The point is his tactics aren't 'terrible, they are effective for teams that don't have the resources to play another way and have any realistic chance of winning against most sides.

I would much rather have Emery than Big Sam in charge if I was an Arsenal fan...but saying that Emery's tactics played into our hands was a fair point.

Some might say you need to play exactly how your 'philosophy' dictates in every game frim day one, no matter what, to bed in your approach. Others would choose to be a little more pragmatic after only a few weeks training whilst playing against (arguably) the greatest English club side of all time - whilst still working on it in training. Because if you lose a few times on the bounce when your team is not yet prepared it can undermine confidence in the new system.

the best thing about that video sting when he was England manager was that, during the video, he was drinking a pint of wine with a curry.

I think there are 2 facets when talking about playing out from the back. One is goal kicks. I think that on goal kicks there are times when you need to hoof it long. Even we've done it on occasion. We do have set plays where Ederson kicks it to the middle of the pitch and Sane gets a hold of it, but when the opposition push high up and space is tight, it's hard to play out from the back at times and you should go long especially if you're a team like Arsenal who aren't good it yet.

The other is when the ball is won in open play and gets played back to the keeper. This I feel is where you must try to play though pressure. The opposition isn't totally set in a position to press effectively and you must try to keep the ball. Having it go back to the keeper only having him hoof it long will most times send it right back to you. We are good at playing from the back in both cases, but I feel most teams should try to at least work on the latter.

Good point, I agree.

To be fair to Allardye he...

Got Limerick promoted.
Took Blackpool from 12th one season to 3rd the next (and signed Andy Morrison).
Took Notts County down then back up again.
Got Bolton promoted, kept them up, got them into Europe (should never have left Bolton at the time he did, worst move of his career).
Didn’t do well at Newcastle.
Took over at Blackburn when they were 19th and kept them up, eventually left them a mid-table side.
Got West Ham promoted and left them a top half club.
Kept Sunderland up twice.
Kept Palace up.
Took Everton from 13th to 8th.

He was even offered the City job after Pearce was sacked but that fell through when Shinawatra came in and got Sven.

We might all have a different opinion of Allardyce had he been our coach at a time we were finishing in the bottom half and he ended up leaving us a top half side.

There’s no one-way to play football. There’s no right way to play football. Jose Mourinho won a treble with Inter playing the same football that Allardyce does and that got him a job at the biggest club in the world, Real Madrid.

I’ve no big problem with Allardyce’s style of pay as such. Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather play the football we play now than us have Mourinho or Allardyce! But there’s nothing wrong with the way either of them have their teams play, especially as Allardyce has shown that, other than Newcastle, he succeeded in improving every club he managed.

Just all the allegations of Allardyce’s corruption that does it for me!

Thing is if you watched the England team for years we’d lump the ball forward at goal kicks etc and give it to the opposition and be defending again. Everton experienced it against us last year. Keeping the ball by building from the back is the way forward.

Sadly the money in the Premier League
has bred a group of managers who can help a team survive each season. They rely on desperate defending, grim football but limited understanding of how to break teams down outside dead balls.

Eddie Howe is an example of a manager who tries to play football and I applaud him. Until England develops managers who have the the courage to play more from the back we’ll never move forward as a national team.
But then look at our trip to Bournemouth last season. No team time wasted more against us all season and Pep was basically telling Howe to fuck off moaning because his team were a disgrace all game and got what they deserved with our 98th minute winner.

Howe was no better, if not worse, than any Allardyce team we’ve faced that day and he had the cheek to moan about the injury time.

Well if you want to watch that shit fair play. 40 thousand Everton fans were wrong to get rid. How the hell has he the audacity to call another managers tactics is beyond me. Oh wait it's ok because it's Jonny foreigner.

He did so much better against us last season. He speaks from a place of experience. The best way to beat us is, hoof it long and pack the defence. It's not like we were 2 up in 20 minutes vs his tactical genius. Absolutely battering them is it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.