Is it worth it?

bluethrunthru

This is an interesting piece. Is the building even worth saving? It was used for about a decade and has spent the next 4 decades falling down. It looks like a car park and I suspect it it was a city centre car park it would have gone long ago.
Do people think that these 60's concrete constructions are worth saving? They don't float my boat I have to say and whenever I watch programmes about architecture they get to this period and I see Park Hill in Sheffield and those ones in Camden and I can't say I see an attractive place to live personally.
There was that car park in Gateshead that found cinematographic fame in Get Carter at a point when it was being built. However when Tesco's rocked up and wanted the site and offered cash and a new swimming baths for Gateshead they said "fuck that" and the car park was gone !
Alternatively will students of architecture and people of the future look back in 150 years time and consider these 60's office blocks, car parks etc to be classics - not like a 500 year old cathedral classic - but something that they are glad was saved for posterity?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46822229

Listed buildings hey where the rules they have if you have one are strict but those who make the rules will happily let these bulidings fall down into rubble.

I like brutalist architecture in small doses and it’s definitely a significant part of the narrative around the evolution of buildings, so is therefore worth preserving as much as is practicable imo. I think there’s a sort of beauty in the ugliness, but I fully accept that many others won’t see it that way.

So if i wrote to them could I have the land for free? Seeing as they cannot give it away.

On greenbelt it says so cannot be built on, sound fucking stupid to me that, knock it down and build a hospitla or social housing, something useful

Modern iconic buildings built to symbolise their era should be listed for preservation. Both as inspiration and a warning in the what the fuck were they thinking at the time for future architecture projects

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't stand most grey buildings and not just the brutalist ones either. This country's grey enough as it is with the rain and the skies and the pavements. don't know why some architects even choose to use grey cladding. Knock the fucker down.

Modern iconic buildings built that symbolse their era should be listed for preservation. Both as inspiration and a warning in the what the what the fuck were they thinking at the time for future architecture projects

Take a Polaroid of it then knock it down.

The picture is the only reminder we need.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.