Liverpool thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are lies, damn lies and of course, statistics. That just proves he made more team changes - HOWEVER the underlying element here is what the team changes were - and that from January they had pretty much a different team. So for example - how many of those changes prior to January Coutinho in, Firminho out (and vice versa), similarly Milner . Robertson, the centre backs and finally the keepers Mignolet/Karius. What is different this season is the only changes Klipperty appears to make (unforced) are the midfield 3. They will dip even worse this season IMO as Firminho will have played every game.

I would guess that Liverpool is the team that has had the most changes in both midfield and defense, but I don't have any statistics for this season. We can look at it later on this season.

My guess is that most people look at Salah and VVD. And that is true, they are part of the rare breed of players that seem to be able to play every game.

But as for Salah, his new striker role means he is far less involved in frequent max runs and running up and down the right side.

And with VVD, the improved control of Liverpool means he isn't really stressing his body that much. Even against city, I have never seen a Liverpool team with that much time to rest with the ball.

Hang on though, I thought they basically gave up on the league half way through the season to focus on the CL? Well that was the excuse your lot gave anyway... much like in the cups this season.

I don't think that's an argument worth making personally though, rotation is only good if the performances don't drop off. The fact is when Liverpool do rotate, the drop off without Salah, Mané and Firmino on the pitch is massive. Without VVD I think a lot of teams would fancy their chances more too.

You could probably come up with a way to "disprove" the above with clever use of statistics but there are many quotes I could give you to summarise how long ago people cottoned onto how deceiving they can be.

Such as :

"Torture numbers, and they'll confess to anything."

Or, one that's perhaps more pertinent to armchair "experts" on football forums:

"Statistics are just a way for the mathematician to evangelize his faith"

edit: Seems someone beat me to the statistics topic.

No you are correct. Liverpool have absolutely no backup for Mané, Firmino or Salah. That's exactly why it is so important to rest players in the league cup and FA cup.

He doesnt rotate VVD and Salah in premier games they ger injured they are fcuked.

VVD is a concern. He did get rotated during that 1.5 weeks Liverpool had three fresh CBs to rotate. :)

Salah is a concern, but not as big. He seems so have the kind of unique physique that can handle many games without injury. And with his new position as front runner, be gets a lot of more rest during games.

No you are correct. Liverpool have absolutely no backup for Mané, Firmino or Salah. That's exactly why it is so important to rest players in the league cup and FA cup.
Fair enough for seeing it how it is, there's hope for you yet. ;)

I hadn't realised how much rotation Klopp does to be fair but is it fair to say the players he rotates the most are your "workhorses"? Which are easy to rotate.

Pep rotates "too much" for many a poster here but you simply have to if you're staying in all comps and I don't think the drop off has been nearly as bad as it would be at most other PL clubs, in the same positions. Even when Gundogan plays dare I say it. Pep has done a remarkable job at carefully managing rotation so far, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Bernardo and Fernandinho beg to differ.

I'm not saying Liverpool won the midfield battle, or that they were more in control than city. I've just never seen Liverpool have that much possession and control, against a world class team.

Past seasons, Liverpool won due to their pressing game, and blitzes of brilliance. But there was always a sense of uncertainty. It just seems that they have taken huge steps in their development, this year.

I'm not saying Liverpool won the midfield battle, or that they were more in control than city. I've just never seen Liverpool have that much possession and control, against a world class team.

Past seasons, Liverpool won due to their pressing game, and blitzes of brilliance. But there was always a sense of uncertainty. It just seems that they have taken huge steps in their development, this year.

You were that much in control that you should have conceded a stonewall pen whilst providing Sergio and Sterling excellent opportunities to extend our lead.

Giving Liverpool possession was part of Guardiola’s plan, letting them come onto City and City digging in left zero space for your front 3 to find pockets. It also opened up opportunities for the counter which resulted in Sane’s goal. Guardiola trying to play our normal game of sitting on a team in their own half and dominating the ball would have been suicide against Liverpool. Just having the ball doesn’t win you games of football.

Fair enough for seeing it how it is, there's hope for you yet. ;)

I hadn't realised how much rotation Klopp does to be fair but is it fair to say the players he rotates the most are your "workhorses"? Which are easy to rotate.

Pep rotates "too much" for many a poster here but you simply have to if you're staying in all comps and I don't think the drop off has been nearly as bad as it would be at most other PL clubs, in the same positions. Even when Gundogan plays dare I say it.

I don't think Pep rotates too much, and I think Gundogan gets to much stick.

There is a lot of talk about luck, and yes, that is a part of the game. Liverpool had had decent luck, and especially the Origi goal is just out of this world.

And over all I still think City has performed a tiny bit better than Liverpool, over the whole season. City simply hasn't been lucky. Should have won against wolves. Schlupp scoring a 1/15 chance on the first run they had, Townsend scoring the goal of his career...etc.

Liverpool a bit lucky, City a bit unlucky. Sum it up, and there you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.