Champions League Games 5/6 March

PSG players are happy earning top salaries playing less than 10 competitive games per year, not the right mentality to win the CL.

Mark Clattenburg has his say:

“Let's be clear, referee Damir Skomina applied the laws as UEFA wish them to be in awarding Manchester United their late penalty in Paris.

But PSG will be furious, and I understand why. This, for me, should not have been a penalty as Presnel Kimpembe did not deliberately handle the ball.

This would never be given as a penalty in the Premier League, but it was given in the Champions League because of UEFA's recent instruction to referees, which came about after Manchester City conceded a similar one at Schalke last month.

10672070-0-image-m-3_1551911009415.jpg

+5
The referee made the right call by awarding a penalty following Presnel Kimpembe's handball
10672068-0-image-m-4_1551911018240.jpg

+5
The ref simply applied the laws as UEFA wish them to be but for me it shouldn't have been a penalty.

They want referees to penalise handballs when the arm is out and in a non-natural position. In that respect the official has been consistent.

However, he watched a slow-motion replay of the incident, and when it comes to handball it always looks worse slowed down.

I would always want to watch a handball claim in a real-time replay. Do that here and it's never a penalty as the player turned away and tried to withdraw his arm away from the ball”

If it’s a new directive and it’s going to be applied consistently then I’ve no real issue with it, and let’s be honest we’d all be screaming for a pen if it was us.

However, Clattenburg has some neck saying what he did in that last paragraph as he was the one who awarded a penalty against Sterling vs Spurs 3 seasons ago for the exact same thing. In fact, I’m still not sure whether it even hit Sterling on his hand or arm or whether it was in the area while that one last night clearly did and was clearly in the 18 yard box.

Last edited:
If it’s a new directive and it’s going to be applied consistently then I’ve no real issue with it, and let’s be honest we’d all be screaming for a pen if it was us.

However, Clattenburg has a some neck saying what he did in that last paragraph as he was the one who awarded a penalty against Sterling vs Spurs 3 seasons ago for the exact same thing. In fact, I’m still not sure whether it even hit Sterling on his hand or arm or whether it was in the area while that one last night clearly did and was clearly in the 18 yard box.
I thought The ball hit Sterling's back.

However, Clattenburg has a some neck saying what he did in that last paragraph as he was the one who awarded a penalty against Sterling vs Spurs 3 seasons ago for the exact same thing. In fact, I’m still not sure whether it even hit Sterling on his hand or arm or whether it was in the area while that one last night clearly did and was clearly in the 18 yard box.
From what I recall of the Sterling incident certainly not on the arm and most probably not in the box

Juventus ( A European heavyweight) and a darling club, conceded a 90th minute penalty that knocked them out of the UCL last year. Milan conceded a nothing penalty in the 2005 UCL final.

If there's cheating or an agenda, it would exist regardless of VAR. If these corrupt officials don't want to give decisions against darling clubs, then they'd refuse to do so, with or without VAR.
You do realise those decisions were given to Real Madrid and Liverpool respectively, don't you

Does anybody know why Kimpembe did not recieve a yellow card for his apparently "deliberate" handball that resulted in the rag penalty?
Otamendi received a yellow card for his apparently "deliberate" handball against Schalke, so for consisentency Kimpembe should have as well?

However, Clattenburg has some neck saying what he did in that last paragraph as he was the one who awarded a penalty against Sterling vs Spurs 3 seasons ago for the exact same thing. In fact, I’m still not sure whether it even hit Sterling on his hand or arm or whether it was in the area while that one last night clearly did and was clearly in the 18 yard box.
Take your point, but being consistent doesn't make it right. Just more wrong decisions.
Just an early rule change reminder that UEFA and other vested agencies will use this facade of "transparency" to their will.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.