Crystal Palace (a) pre-match thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t know why, but I’m unusually calm about this supposedly tough fixture.

As I posted earlier:

“Now this is not going to be an easy match, and no messing, but I'm puzzled as to how Palace are being presented as some sort of ogre by some on here. Of top six clubs, they have beaten one, and one only, this season. Liverpool did the double over them; so did Spurs; so did Chelsea; they took a point off the rags, and were then beaten; they've taken a point off Arsenal so far. Not very terrifying, is it? Now I have no hesitation in saying that we are better than any of those teams, by a distance. The game at our place was a complete one-off, with Townsend scoring a goal the likes of which he had never scored before, not even in his dreams, and will never score again.”

I remember very clearly how worried we were in spring of 2014 (I was, too). We went there and Yaya did the business. Funnily enough, it was dippers against Chelsea as well, the same day. That was the day the title race turned — although the dippers didn't do themselves any favours with their comedy gold performance at Selhurst Park a bit later.

The team can't go there thinking like that though Blue, complacency has bit us on the arse before plenty of times.

Pep and the players will be fired up for this game like a revenge match. We saw last season how Chelsea, Tottenham, Everton and Leicester were destroyed after they had the better of us in Pep's first season. This season we put in faultless performances against Liverpool and United. I've no doubt Pep will have this game tactically spot on and mentally prepared.

As I posted earlier:

“Now this is not going to be an easy match, and no messing, but I'm puzzled as to how Palace are being presented as some sort of ogre by some on here. Of top six clubs, they have beaten one, and one only, this season. Liverpool did the double over them; so did Spurs; so did Chelsea; they took a point off the rags, and were then beaten; they've taken a point off Arsenal so far. Not very terrifying, is it? Now I have no hesitation in saying that we are better than any of those teams, by a distance. The game at our place was a complete one-off, with Townsend scoring a goal the likes of which he had never scored before, not even in his dreams, and will never score again.”

I remember very clearly how worried we were in spring of 2014 (I was, too). We went there and Yaya did the business. Funnily enough, it was dippers against Chelsea as well, the same day. That was the day the title race turned — although the dippers didn't do themselves any favours with their comedy gold performance at Selhurst Park a bit later.

It makes me laugh how history was rewritten reading the title race, Chelsea were very much in the driving seat and threw it away that year. Losing away at Palace, at home against Sunderland and drawing at Norwich at home too in the last 6 games.

Liverpool lost to Chelsea and drew at Palace in a futile attempt to score about 10 goals in the last 6.

As I posted earlier:

Palace away can be a tricky game if they get a bit of momentum going. I always think that if we go two up there then we can see out the game fairly easily. Unfortunately we have developed a habit of trying to see out games from one up which is risky.

They defended extremely well. Had three shots on target including a worldy (that 9/10 would have gone over) and rode their luck. Not taking anything away from their performance (honest lol) but can they do it twice in a season? We shall find out!

I look more at the 0-0 last season. That's when Palace started doubling up on our full-backs and others tried to follow suit.

Would like to see Danilo and Walker overlapping Sane and Sterling when they can, as Wan-Bissaka and Zaha on that side are formidable on the counter.

Can't help worrying the likes of Woy and Brendan Teeth will be giving it their all for the Liverpool cause.

First and foremost, Walker doesn't have a repeat of the last time and we actually start making keepers work. No half-chance bullshit.

I look more at the 0-0 last season. That's when Palace started doubling up on our full-backs and others tried to follow suit.

Would like to see Danilo and Walker overlapping Sane and Sterling when they can, as Wan-Bissaka and Zaha on that side are formidable on the counter.

Can't help worrying the likes of Woy and Brendan Teeth will be giving it their all for the Liverpool cause.

First and foremost, Walker doesn't have a repeat of the last time and we actually start making keepers work. No half-chance bullshit.

Agreed, because of the threat of their overlap I can't see Sane starting this one at all.

I feel confident and hope the lads come out with an absolute rocket up their arse, also incredibly nervous about Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.