Var debate 2019/20

Can't keep saying that UEFA is bent and that is the reason we are out, did they pay off Laporte to give up two goals?

We are shooting ourselves in the foot every year with missed chances and penalties and then falling to pieces at the back, nearly 20 goals conceded in knockout games since Pep arrived, that for me is the concern.

Pep has to take it on the chin for the approach in the first leg IMO but is he to blame for Kun missing the penalty much less Laporte's errors? I am surprised by the failure to bring Sane on sooner last night - I thought perhaps even bringing on Riyad might've helped in that low block to get a shot off

Where was VAR at Anfield last season ? Where was VAR when Leroy scored in the home fixture days later ?It's OK saying last night's results were correct(although the handball isn't conclusive) It's just that when we needed them last season they were nowhere to be seen ! Imagine going to football game and not being able to celebrate a goal because of fear it won't stand,even though the refs given it? That's the way football is going and it'll kill it.

Pep has to take it on the chin for the approach in the first leg IMO but is he to blame for Kun missing the penalty much less Laporte's errors? I am surprised by the failure to bring Sane on sooner last night - I thought perhaps even bringing on Riyad might've helped in that low block to get a shot off
He can't be blamed for errors but the amount of goals we concede considering we have gone into the games as clearly the better team than the opposition. Conceding 6 against Monaco for example just isn't good enough.

Pep decides to use CL knockout games as his lab for testing things and its come back to haunt him now for 7+ years.

Interesting watching ESPN's analysis of the incident. They certainly seem to lay the blame for the feed of camera angles at the door of the host broadcaster (BT?). I think this will need clarification or we'll be booing the BT anthem next. Did BT feed all the angles to the VAR judges?

I was originally for it but I'm extremely dubious now as to how it's interfering and ruining key moments for fans. Feel like the manner in which the last minute goal was ruled out is the saddest thing about the outcome for me.

Also, they really need to apply it's use consistently. This "clear and obvious" error rule is not working and it's pisssing everyone off. I don't think any decision out of the Rose penalty, Llorente's goal or Sterling's goal was clear and obvious. We've all watched them dozens of times and still can't agree.

Vertonghen's encroachment into the penalty area was clearly wrong though. He ventured a long way on and was there to clear the rebound. Why wasn't that checked?

He can't be blamed for errors but the amount of goals we concede considering we have gone into the games as clearly the better team than the opposition. Conceding 6 against Monaco for example just isn't good enough.

Pep decides to use CL knockout games as his lab for testing things and its come back to haunt him now for 7+ years.

You can't mix seasons much less opponents to draw a conclusion like that IMO.

Interesting watching ESPN's analysis of the incident. They certainly seem to lay the blame for the feed of camera angles at the door of the host broadcaster (BT?). I think this will need clarification or we'll be booing the BT anthem next. Did BT feed all the angles to the VAR judges?

I assume everyone had a similar view from their broadcast because I noticed the same thing, the feed coming to Cakir seemed to focus on angles other than the conclusive one. Deliberate or merely incompetent? This is an issue no question

I assume everyone had a similar view from their broadcast because I noticed the same thing, the feed coming to Cakir seemed to focus on angles other than the conclusive one. Deliberate or merely incompetent? This is an issue no question

It certainly needs clarification. Given that the adjudicators presumably recommend the referee review an incident because they have seen something untoward, then it seems inane to repeatedly show him an angle that does no more than confirm his original assessment. That leads me to conclude that the VAR adjudicators did indeed see the behind-the-goal angle, hence the review, but that those in charge of relaying the feed to the referee made a mistake and were 'unable' to do so. As I say, it certainly deserves explaining.

VAR is just another tool to manipulate the outcome of games.

I suspect stats won't be kept but I'd lay odds that, now it has been introduced, there will be more reviews in City's Champions League games than any other team.

There are two key aspects, amongst many, where the game can be manipulated a) in which events are reviewed and b) where there is a 50/50 decision that can be interpreted either way.

So far in the CL we've had VAR where the ref couldn't see a replay because the tv didn't work and which resulted in a penalty against us and a situation where the ref actually threw up his hands acknowledging that our guess was as good as his. In fact, my guess was better because I saw it from the correct angle. He didn't get the chance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.