Let's talk about corners

Are we one of the worst teams in the league for corners,just never seem to score

No criticism from my end, I'm just puzzled by the whole situation and that our return is so shocking. Considering we always try to minimise the margin of error, we should also try to make the most out of every opportunity.
Maybe because the off chance we score from a corner, which isn’t that often due to size, he sets us up to recover the ball when we lose it as we will 9 times out of ten. So we stop the counter and are ready to attack more effectively when we regain possesion. Whatever reason he’ll have thought it through and it will be the right reason.
Similar to when it was explained to me why he doesn’t put players on the posts for corners, it made sense and the stats back it up. For a small team we rarely concede from corners. Even the spurs one last week we were sat behind him,and Arteta and Pep were trying to tell the players they were too deep before it was taken.

I dont contradict the importance of goals by corners, or whatever means. I am just stating the evidence as I see it.
1. World class players very good at scoring lots of goals from out-thinking and out-playing the opposition from open play (where most goals in football originate from).
2. World class players not able to score goals from corners (where fewer goals are scored from)
3. Mcfc are leagues top scorers by a country mile, but very few arrive from corners.

So, what I gather from these propositions is that we concentrate our practice and play on the areas that produce the higher return on investment of energy with goals scored.

Therefore, in my opinion, pep doesn't consider corners to be worthwhile areas of energy investment to warrant excessive practice because they aren't, statistically, productive goal threats for our group of players.

Whether that is correct or not is up to individual opinion. But it looks like pep doesn't rate corners as anything worth labouring over.

Well he is fucking wrong then, the same way he was wrong to bench Fernie in the week and whatever the master plan was in the first leg, the guy is brilliant but not infallible, the one thing I can't abide is the "pep" knows best reply, you don't even know that they do or don't practice corners for that matter.

Well he is fucking wrong then, the same way he was wrong to bench Fernie in the week and whatever the master plan was in the first leg, the guy is brilliant but not infallible, the one thing I can't abide is the "pep" knows best reply, you don't even know that they do or don't practice corners for that matter.
I didn't claim to know, mate. I said from the evidence. Anyone can extrapolate a theory from evidence.

Whether he is wrong is also up for debate, but from the evidence of goals scored, and points earned, I would say he isn't, and as far as I'm concerned Pep knows best!!

Reactions: SVP
I didn't claim to know, mate. I said from the evidence. Anyone can extrapolate a theory from evidence.

Whether he is wrong is also up for debate, but from the evidence of goals scored, and points earned, I would say he isn't, and as far as I'm concerned Pep knows best!!

I will see you at the semi-final then yeah?

It isn't a crime to say he got something wrong, ffs.

But back to the original point, if you are happy that we are seemingly shit at corners because we score plenty elsewhere then there is no more discussion to be had really.

I will see you at the semi-final then yeah?

It isn't a crime to say he got something wrong, ffs.

But back to the original point, if you are happy that we are seemingly shit at corners because we score plenty elsewhere then there is no more discussion to be had really.
I am as upset with the Spurs debacle as you Alf. It's painful when it messes up. But, again, evidence shows that our best chance of winning that comp is with pep as manager.

I would also love city to have a better record at scoring from corners, I'm not an idiot. But the way we play accentuates our positive attributes, and if that means a sacrifice has to be made on corners scored, then I'm cool with that!

I am as upset with the Spurs debacle as you Alf. It's painful when it messes up. But, again, evidence shows that our best chance of winning that comp is with pep as manager.

I would also love city to have a better record at scoring from corners, I'm not an idiot. But the way we play accentuates our positive attributes, and if that means a sacrifice has to be made on corners scored, then I'm cool with that!

I never said it wasn't mate, just that it is okay to say if he makes a fuck up, he isn't infallible, I did say he was brilliant first up.

I am still seriously pissed at losing to Spurs, it feels way worse than the debacle of Liverpool the year earlier, getting beat of Barcelona I can handle but bloody English teams is a pisser for sure.

I never said it wasn't mate, just that it is okay to say if he makes a fuck up, he isn't infallible, I did say he was brilliant first up.

I am still seriously pissed at losing to Spurs, it feels way worse than the debacle of Liverpool the year earlier, getting beat of Barcelona I can handle but bloody English teams is a pisser for sure.
It's the hope that cuts deepest! Our best chance ever of lifting it, and we handed it to Spurs of all clubs!!!

Anyway, I'm trying to close the lid on that fuck up...so let's change the subject back to those 4 pesky quadrants!! :D

All the money paid on coaches and we still just hoof the ball into the area. Oh, but the player taking the corner puts his hand in the air to signify........????? Hitting the first defender?

All the money paid on coaches and we still just hoof the ball into the area. Oh, but the player taking the corner puts his hand in the air to signify........????? Hitting the first defender?

Always drives me bonkers too that. Its like "here we go we've practised this, heres the signal"...and a limp attempt causing no danger whatsoever ensues. Sometimes I think we are just too complicated whereas scoring from a corner is, well, pretty basic really.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.