Let's talk about corners

its a Barm

We score more goals than any team in Europe year in year out, but I have to say our corner to goals ratio is shocking I have no idea how many corners we have but must be 200 plus and I think we have only scored maybe 3-5 directly from a corner, we clearly don't practise corners, why.

We score more goals than any team in Europe year in year out, but I have to say our corner to goals ratio is shocking I have no idea how many corners we have but must be 200 plus and I think we have only scored maybe 3-5 directly from a corner, we clearly don't practise corners, why.

It's not just us. Corners are ridiculously overrated as opportunities to score. I'll let a statto do a better job than I of showing you why.

But we probably get less corners than Huddersfield etc because we're more accurate and less hasty, therefore it always looks like rubbish teams score lots of corners.

I remember a certain mr kompany scoring a wonder header against the rags in 2012.Then In peps 1st season he scored a carbon copy after leaving Chris small thing for dead from a sane corner.

I love you Vincent kompany

We have some excellent routines. Perhaps apply a little logic as to why we don’t score many towering headers at the back post.

More often than not, we have just two outfield players over six foot.

We actually score from quite a few corners/set pieces for our size. Doesn’t Laporte have 4 himself?
Otamendi usually chips in with a few but has found his game time limited.

For a side our size, we are very well drilled both offensively and defensively.

We were second in goals scored from corners last year. That doesn’t include short corners.

Maybe we should get Andy Hinchcliffe in as a corner taking coach? After our promotion season with Machin he seemed to have a run of dropping balls at the far post for Gleghorn or White to nod in. IIRC our first goal of the season away at dipperpool was scored by Gleghorn from a Hinchy corner.

Average per game 10.24
Shots from 26%
Shots on target 9.8%
Goals from 2.2%
Wins resulting from a goal scored from a corner 76%
Short corners that result in a cross to far post are more effective resulting in 57% chance of a shot on target

* shots includes headers

One issue with corners is the defending team counter attacking, with defenders out of position and team shape not correct

Figures from a study by the International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
1139 corners in 124 matches

When we've got a team of shortarses this short corners lark plays to our strengths. I understand the OP's annoyance with it though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.