Let's talk about corners

Anyone know any stats for how often an opposition team scores on counter attacks from defending corners in the PL?

It might be seen that trying to directly score from corners rather than keep possession is deemed more of a risk than benefit

Anyone know any stats for how often an opposition team scores on counter attacks from defending corners in the PL?

It might be seen that trying to directly score from corners rather than keep possession is deemed more of a risk than benefit
I agree.
Corners are a rather high risk, high reward proposition. Teams who fully commit to them tend to eat a lot more goals from resulting counterattacks.
For all the "risk" Pep demands with the ball at our feet, he seems absolutely risk adverse with situations that involve second balls, sheer luck and potential counterattacks.
Situations like corners... It's not our main strenght so why risk the exposure?
This is reflected in how we set up but also in how the corners themselves are taken.
Virtually none of our corners are at the backpost because they can be caught by the keeper or easily headed away into the opposition feet. Potentially starting a counterattack.
Short corners or corners towards the front post are a much lower risk for counterattacks so that is why you see us taking that route more often than not.
Another perceived benefit to the front post corners could be that you are forcing the opposition to try and counter from a less favourable position. (The side of the pitch the corner originated from...)
This makes it much easier for us to instantly win the ball back and cause havoc.
Don't have the numbers but we do seem to score a lot of goals from the secondary phase after a corner is headed away.
LOL. Just guessing here. I don't know what Pep and staff actually think. But it's fun trying to figure it all out... ;-)

Here's a corner routine I'd like to see.
1 our captain has a quiet word with the ref "Hey ref, their number 5 is getting away with murder every time we get a corner or a free kick into the box"
2 next corner all the attackers, except one, stand absolutely still. The one exception runs hard at the number5, who takes the bait. Penalty !

We take short corners in the main, so that we can play that pass and move stuff which has enabled us to score 150 plus goals, and we retain possession, that's why we don't often score direct from a corner, it's not our style...!

This is a real problem, on average we are getting nearly 8 corners a game, more than any other team, i can't find any stats for how many are scored but i'm sure we scored a lot more of them last season. When the ball comes in, the position of the players doesn't look right to me, it's not just about delivery and height. Hopefully Pep takes the pre-season to work on it.

Listen we are so good at some many things except corners and its been like this for such
a long time now we cry out for throw ins where we are sat now rather than a corner.
It does not help that they remind us on the big screens of how many we have had in each game.

A very small price to pay for all that's good in our play !!

Part of the reason people get wound up about this is ridiculous expectations. No one scores lots of goals from corners, conversion rates tend to vary between 1.5-3% and we have a team of midgets. It's somewhere we can look to improve but if we spend time on them in training then that's less time to spend on open play which is the vast majority of game time.

If you have a side of little, quick darting players you simply wont score many from corners but could we do better? I'm sure we could.

We should also leave Raheem up front when we defend corners

This is a real problem, on average we are getting nearly 8 corners a game, more than any other team, i can't find any stats for how many are scored but i'm sure we scored a lot more of them last season. When the ball comes in, the position of the players doesn't look right to me, it's not just about delivery and height. Hopefully Pep takes the pre-season to work on it.

Corners taken 281 PL rank 1st

goals from corners 5 PL rank 14th

corners per goal 56 PL rank 20th

Showed it at the start of the game last night. Not great tbh

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.