Operation Overlord

You're right, it had the unintended consequence of highlighting what HMS Bulldog did, and for a brief moment, shone a light on the American propensity to claim credit for everything.

I might be imagining it (confirmation bias etc) but wasn't Churchill: The Hollywood Years partly inspired by that?

I might be imagining it (confirmation bias etc) but wasn't Churchill: The Hollywood Years partly inspired by that?

You might be right, it came out around that time.

There is a long history of this kind of thing, blues of a certain age will remember this, caused a bit of a stink at the time....

RatPatrolTCS.Cover.72dpi.jpg

As far as I'm aware the Americans have not claimed credit for Stalingrad, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

There is a long history of this kind of thing, blues of a certain age will remember this, caused a bit of a stink at the time....

As far as I'm aware the Americans have not claimed credit for Stalingrad, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

On historical films generally (this is a bit of an off topic aside, I know) a few years back I was at a promo event done in conjunction with Tourism Australia about the upcoming film "Australia" - which was of course, terrible - and they had this American 20th Century Fox PR person come out to speak to us all. She piped up with the classic line "We think this could be this year's Titanic", at which point I started giggling and got stared at. But it's indicative of how they think in terms of film, not real life.

On historical films generally (this is a bit of an off topic aside, I know) a few years back I was at a promo event done in conjunction with Tourism Australia about the upcoming film "Australia" - which was of course, terrible - and they had this American 20th Century Fox PR person come out to speak to us all. She piped up with the classic line "We think this could be this year's Titanic", at which point I started giggling and got stared at. But it's indicative of how they think in terms of film, not real life.

You're right.

Sylvester Stallone was the greatest heavy weight champion the world has ever seen, his statue is a fitting commemoration....

Rocky-w-Stallone-new-620.jpg

We know it's false but it's celebrated anyway.

All harmless fun, but it pisses on real sacrifice, real achievement, real heroism.

Like many matters, it's complex.
The Americans had a gung-ho doctrine, based on that used by Grant in the ACW. Basically attrition by sheer numbers. Very costly in lives, but ultimately effective as long as you have the numbers.
The British simply did not have the numbers, so their doctrine had to be more conservative. Monty was a careful general who liked everything in place before he attacked. This included supplies, fuel, ammo, etc.
Even this is a simplistic analysis. But in a nutshell, the Yanks tend not to rate Monty because they see him as "over cautious". By their standards, he was. However, he was very popular with his own troops (my Dad was one) as they knew he didn't regard them as mere cannon fodder.
They were all brave men, British, American, Canadian, French, Polish, whatever you may think of those who led them

Just a shame Monty wasn’t quite to careful when it came to ‘Market Garden’ (Arnhem fiasco).

I'm sure any nation is taking "credit" for anything. The politics room is next door.

It’s pretty poor that film didn’t have a single British/Commonwealth person or vehicle clearly in it, despite it being a great film.

It’s not a time to be annoyed at trivial things like that though, it’s a time to remember those actually there and say thank you.
Maybe because it is a film about a group of US Rangers trying to find a US infantryman in the US theatre of operations. The US amphibious assault (in the film) was on Omaha Beach.I think the Americans were further West than the British/Commonwealth forces.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.