Operation Overlord

Maybe because it is a film about a group of US Rangers trying to find a US infantryman in the US theatre of operations. The US amphibious assault (in the film) was on Omaha Beach.I think the Americans were further West than the British/Commonwealth forces.

Correct! I have no problem with it

Maybe because it is a film about a group of US Rangers trying to find a US infantryman in the US theatre of operations. The US amphibious assault (in the film) was on Omaha Beach.I think the Americans were further West than the British/Commonwealth forces.

I completely get that but the film isn’t just on the beach and at no point are the British/Commonwealth even mentioned or seen. It’s as if it was just an American invasion, which it obviously wasn’t close to being just that.

Anyway as I say, let’s not descend into argument over one film, it’s about those that were actually there and paying our respects to those who are no longer with us or are veterans still living.

Corbyn received short shrift yesterday from a veteran.

There was a meal organised for the veterans, VIPs, Heads of State and others.

The Labour leader told one of his aide's to go and ask if he could sit and have a meal with this one particular veteran.

His response was sharp - "tell Corbyn to fuck off!"

I had to stifle my laughter.

It was very humbling being in the company of these truly heroic men. Cherish them and their stories while they are here. They are well into their 90s now and may not be around for much longer.

One day they'll go and join their fallen comrades who fought so bravely 75 years ago.

I have wondered over the last few days what might have been the scenario if Corbyn had been around in the late 30's - what particular stance would he have adopted. I doubt very much he would have taken up the line that Churchill thundered out!

The amphibious assault element was largely carried out by the British too, they are the ones who took the Americans in. It's no biggie, I don't have a problem really with that portrayal, but as a matter of historical accuracy, it was mostly the British/Commonwealth forces (i.e naval/marine) who got the Americans onto Omaha and Gold as well.

As an aside, the ones who really get ignored are the Canadians. The RCN went from nowhere to the third largest navy on the planet inside five years. Quite, quite extraordinary.

And here's your little film/television story. James Doohan - Scotty from Star Trek - was wounded by friendly fire (shot six times) in the D Day landings, losing his finger, which you can occasionally see in some scenes, though he hid it.

Last edited:
Mate, I'm not getting at you, or the Yanks, but history is written by the victors and Hollywood wrote the script.
My misunderstanding, pal. I see now you were more having a go at Hollywood and not nation's taking part in the war effort. My apologies. I agree. Hollywood has a way of distorting events because they think it is a "better" story

1280px-Into_the_Jaws_of_Death_23-0455M_edit.jpg

My misunderstanding, pal. I see now you were more having a go at Hollywood and not nation's taking part in the war effort. My apologies. I agree. Hollywood has a way of distorting events because they think it is a "better" story

It's just practicality. The US is their biggest market, so they tailor it for US audiences. It's why it was quite brave of Christopher Nolan to point blank refuse any American (acting) involvement in Dunkirk. One of the old tricks by those who wanted to be vaguely accurate was to have a big Hollywood star play a Canadian.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.