Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate that saying,it's very cult like

Ha - yeah I can see where you're coming from with this comment.

Of course Pep is going to make mistakes - he's only human. As long as he makes more success than mistakes & we don't use this cult saying as a scapegoat.

I highly doubt Pep is waiting by the phone to see if the Harry Maguire transfer has gone through. He's probably on a beach or golf course somewhere. Most likely gave his input on areas to strengthen & a group of players he initially would approve of joining & then left the board to it before going on hols.

Its not just about getting a top quality defender its replacing the main Leader that we had in Vinny. You can see how VVD is a natural leader for the scousers -without Vinny we are weaker as it stands.

Maguire shows leadership qualities and,now he is settling......i'm sure we will see more from Laporte this coming season.Stone is also a leader,he just needs a run in the team.

Looking far and wide though,the qualities Vinny had are pretty unique.

Fee aside, the postives I get from this are - a big bruiser of a defender that will solidify our aerial threat at both ends. Confident enough to bring the call out and a seemingly a very popular player with fans and players alike. He's also ready made, knows the league and is available. I would also add, that v's Leicester 3 times last season, we only scored 1 goal on each occasion and Maguire completed each game. He seems to organise and defend fairly well. Re-emphasised by Leicester keeping clean sheets either side of our game v Arsenal and Chelsea. He also scored v Liverpool - as they dropped 2 points at home.. we know how important little bits like that are. And of course, Leicester beat us in December where Harry was MOTM.

When I look at the above and say does he show signs of being a good defender... well yes.

Other than go the route of shiny new European defender.. we have to go homegrown and with Walker, Stones, Delph, we have decent picks out of what's available and all under 30. Maguire fits in nicely into that. Seems close to Stones and Sheffield-born with Walker. The only English CB's are really Smalling, Gomez, Jones, Dunk, and Keane. It's bleak.

The fee is rightly above £50m... but should be no more than £60-65 IMO.

If we are looking at filling quotas, we should buy where the player truly benefits the team.

Well, I think that he'd be a damn decent buy! De Ligt is pricing himself out of a move here, so lets go get a decent proven player at this level, who is on the market it seems. Remember the same reservations people had over a certain Richard Dunne in the beginning ………….and he didn't turn out to be half-bad did he, just saying!!

Our interest is very much Daily Star based He is a good defender not a great one however we have a coach who can help him achieve this if he wants us its a chance to cement a partnership with Stones which England would benefit from Mind you they would both have to go some to dislodge laporte i do like Otto but i dont have the confidence he can replace one of the two mentioned on a regular basis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.