Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still genuinely don't understand why with all our recent success, fantastic commercial deals that Sorriano and co have negotiated and money from Sky, etc that we can't outspend those fucking wankers every time.

If the best manager we'll ever have wants a player, he should be given the funds. Ffs we're not exactly skint are we. What's another £20m? We'd make it back and then some if we win the title again plus the CL this season. You have to be ambitious and keep your enemies down from a position of strength.
Still not over your rag obsession then? spending is part of a bigger picture

I still genuinely don't understand why with all our recent success, fantastic commercial deals that Sorriano and co have negotiated and money from Sky, etc that we can't outspend those fucking wankers every time.

If the best manager we'll ever have wants a player, he should be given the funds. Ffs we're not exactly skint are we. What's another £20m? We'd make it back and then some if we win the title again plus the CL this season. You have to be ambitious and keep your enemies down from a position of strength.
Maybe our best manager wasn’t that convinced. I honestly think he’s way off what WE need but perfect for Utd where they are.

What he means is we can afford it, we just don’t see any value in it. It’s a vailed dig at the money they are splashing around desperately to catch up. It was a clever comment on Pep/City’s part.

Perplexing statement from Pep.
We have the best and rich owners on the planet and to say we can't afford Maguire is untrue and bizzare unless he's implying something about FFP.
We've been lucky that their signings that could have come to us have not worked but this luck won't last forever. Maguire does strengthen them somewhat.
Surely some day we need to spend 100m

We have the best and rich owners on the planet and to say we can't afford Maguire is untrue and bizzare unless he's implying something about FFP.
We've been lucky that their signings that could have come to us have not worked but this luck won't last forever. Maguire does strengthen them somewhat.
Our owner doesn't put his hand in his pocket now and hasn't for years so it doesn't really matter how rich he is,we will never pay 100m for anyone except maybe the worlds best player,the rags haven't been relevant to us for 6yrs,in which time they have spent on many players and it's made no difference at all,i also expect it was a tad sarcastic by pep

If United win the league is the whole country going to say, they bought the league. I very much doubt it. Please get rid of the miguire thread. Good player but not at that price.

It's probably just not worded well. I'm sure we could afford Maguire at 80m. Just like we could have afforded Felix at 100m+.

We probably didn't want to spend 80m on a CB. And especially not for someone as unremarkable as Maguire.

He didn’t say that we couldn’t fund the purchase. He said that we couldn’t afford it and my take was that it was in reference to us not being able to afford the reputation damage that arises from paying ridiculously over the odds.
We manage our purchases very well nowadays but can only do this because other clubs know that we won’t be rinsed - we set our valuation and walk if they push it - it’s a reputation that we need to maintain.
I’m pretty sure that we could have paid £80M for Maguire without breaching FFP but cash layout is only part of the wider value for money consideration.

He didn’t say that we couldn’t fund the purchase. He said that we couldn’t afford it and my take was that it was in reference to us not being able to afford the reputation damage that arises from paying ridiculously over the odds.
We manage our purchases very well nowadays but can only do this because other clubs know that we won’t be rinsed - we set our valuation and walk if they push it - it’s a reputation that we need to maintain.
I’m pretty sure that we could have paid £80M for Maguire without breaching FFP but cash layout is only part of the wider value for money consideration.
It's not just the transfer fee, United will have offered him a certain wage, that we don't want to match if it damages our wage structure.

I'm unconcerned about what Pep said, fee or wage, he's not worth what they'll pay, not to us anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.