A Turning Point

7evens

Looking at where things have gone for us since the takeover, this felt like the big turning point. We won the FA Cup semi-final the year before and battered them 6-1 at Old Trafford, yes, but I think this was when we properly rattled Ferguson for the first time. The first time we wound him up and he snapped back. The FA Cup semi started the shift, the 6-1 set the gears in motion, and this little gesture (along with the win and everything it meant) was when we finally, properly got under Ferguson's skin, right before he retired and left them in a just a little bit of a mess.

C_71_article_1492553_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

For me the turning point was the fa cup semi.
We were improving but when they needed to win they normally did it whoever they were playing.
To beat them at Wembley in such a big game said we had arrived, we were now going to take them on as equals and they didn't like it/couldn't understand it.
The 1-6 at the swamp next year confirmed it but Wembley started it.

I think the first time I watched a game and thought we're better than United was when Rooney scored the shinner at Old Trafford. We got beat 2-1 but I remember being in a pub wearing stupid 3D goggles surrounded by United fans - which would normally wind me up on derby day, but being pretty calm about it because we played ok (not amazing) but we were still managing to keep the ball with ease and outplay them for long periods. Looking back on the players we had on the pitch that day compared to United's, we should have demolished them to be honest but I knew the tide had turned. Roll on a couple of months and we were beating them at Wembley in the FA Cup.

For me the turning point was the fa cup semi.
We were improving but when they needed to win they normally did it whoever they were playing.
To beat them at Wembley in such a big game said we had arrived, we were now going to take them on as equals and they didn't like it/couldn't understand it.
The 1-6 at the swamp next year confirmed it but Wembley started it.

Yep, this was it for me. Coming out on top in a MASSIVE game on the big stage proved that the tide was turning. And you're right that they couldn't take it - as demonstrated by the ridiculous over-reaction to Balotelli's wink.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.