A Turning Point

Think I knew the tide had turned when I saw the line up for the 6-1. I thought we had a decent chance that day even though Old Trafford had not been a good place for us to visit. We were comfy in that first half and survived an onslaught towards the end of the half which was to be expected, then the second half. Fuck me Ive never ever wanted that game to end, every time we went forward we either scored or looked like scoring.

Looking at where things have gone for us since the takeover, this felt like the big turning point. We won the FA Cup semi-final the year before and battered them 6-1 at Old Trafford, yes, but I think this was when we properly rattled Ferguson for the first time. The first time we wound him up and he snapped back. The FA Cup semi started the shift, the 6-1 set the gears in motion, and this little gesture (along with the win and everything it meant) was when we finally, properly got under Ferguson's skin, right before he retired and left them in a just a little bit of a mess.

C_71_article_1492553_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

That was THE moment imo! Not just beating them on the pitch, we had a manager who didn’t give a fuck about fergies reputation and infront of millions of people around the world put him in his place!

I love that picture for more than one reason - Fergusons body language is exactly the same as every bully who ever got called out.

"What? How dare you? Do you know who I am?" all portrayed right there in his demeanor. United never really recovered that "we will bully everyone and you will be scared of us before you even step on the grass" mentality - us and others were no longer intimidated to go to Old Trafford or to play them at home.

That period between 2010 - 2012 was turning point for the entire league! Even referees seemed less likely to add on the extra 5 minutes Fergie wanted and no longer paid attention to his prematch referee influencing.(with some exceptions)

Mourinho, Benetiz, Keegan and Wenger were all cowed by Fergusons "mind games" over the years - but that photo shows only one winner!

That was THE moment imo! Not just beating them on the pitch, we had a manager who didn’t give a fuck about fergies reputation and infront of millions of people around the world put him in his place!
Used to love the way Bobby would refer to him as "Ferguson", none of the fawning "SirAlex" nonsense like so many others.

Looking at where things have gone for us since the takeover, this felt like the big turning point. We won the FA Cup semi-final the year before and battered them 6-1 at Old Trafford, yes, but I think this was when we properly rattled Ferguson for the first time. The first time we wound him up and he snapped back. The FA Cup semi started the shift, the 6-1 set the gears in motion, and this little gesture (along with the win and everything it meant) was when we finally, properly got under Ferguson's skin, right before he retired and left them in a just a little bit of a mess.

C_71_article_1492553_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

That image ranks right up there near the Aguero moment.

Im convinced on that day, with that result and with that exchange, Ferguson knew his time was up

Last edited:
Fergies? Fergies? I presume you're talking about the GPC?

Go wash your hands and keyboard in a very strong bleach, immediately!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.