A Turning Point

For me the turning point was the fa cup semi.
We were improving but when they needed to win they normally did it whoever they were playing.
To beat them at Wembley in such a big game said we had arrived, we were now going to take them on as equals and they didn't like it/couldn't understand it.
The 1-6 at the swamp next year confirmed it but Wembley started it.

I agree. At the time and with hindsight, it was my favourite ever day as a Blue. If we had lost the semi, it would have been a big kick in the balls,much more than when we lost the league cup semi.

Personally, I though the turning point was the Tevez poster, which looking back, was a moment of inspired marketing genius.

Yeah, there were three things that might have fiven Fergie the idea there was a spike up his arse - the Tevez poster, the verbals with Roberto and the 6-1, or to give it its proper name, the 1-6!

I don't think we realise how well our club is run. Mancini was absolutely the 'right man at the right time', exactly what the club and, more importantly, the players needed at the time. Most clubs have a piss poor record of managerial appointments, ours since the takeover, have been incredible. Mancini was never going to be long term, his style is confrontational and generally that has a limited shelf life but his impact was huge. He brought that elusive 'winning mentality' with him, a touch of arrogance and no sign of the inferiority complex towards Man U and Ferguson that plagued most managers in the PL at that time. The atmosphere and the confidence in the club changed noticeably and that FA Cup semi-final definitely signaled a changing of the old order even down to Mario's cheeky wink!

Yeah, there were three things that might have fiven Fergie the idea there was a spike up his arse - the Tevez poster, the verbals with Roberto and the 6-1, or to give it its proper name, the 1-6!

Yep.
I'd even go one step further.

The initial takeover formed the catalyst for media scorn and ridicule: "RICH MAN'S PLAYTHING...THE OWNER WILL SOON GET BORED...CAN'T BUY SUCCESS..." yawn fucking yawm

The Tevez poster resulted in a shift from ridicule to pure, unadulterated hatred, which in hindsight, lasted until Ferguson retired.

Since 2013, there's been a gradual acceptance that City are here to stay, regardless of whether we're as popular as certain clubs in red shirts.

My memory of the semi final was the second half seemed to last for ever. Couldn't wait for the final whistle. But the 6.1 that game could have just carried on, and we would have just scored even more. (Probably 10)

The turning point for City was obviously the day the Sheikh bought the club. It's nonsense to argue anything else.

The day we overtook United was the FA Cup semi final 2010. We'd become as good a team as them over the last year or two but pshycologicly they were in our heads because they kept stealing wins. That was the day we outplayed them and got the result on the big stage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.