Var debate 2019/20

"Run it through again please Tarquin......."

"Foot comes down...on top of Silva's foot....he goes down...in pain...."

"One more time please sweeteee...."

"Foot comes down... yep.....on top of Silva's foot....yep.......he goes down...in pain....yep..."

"Yep ok....I've made my decision...NOOOOO PENAL TEEEEEEE HEHE HEHE ! " (round of applause)
Sounds about right!

At the VERY least, they're going to have to start broadcasting these conversations (both on TV and over the tannoy) like they do in the cricket. It can't be right that those of us in the ground last week had no idea what was going on at the end of the game.

Equally, yesterday, everyone watching on TV is seeing VAR replays that show a nailed-on penalty, one of those stonewallers where there can't possibly be even a single shred of doubt. Yet after a minute of pissing about, it doesn't get given. At least explain to us why!

Silva foot stamped on yesterday by Bournemouth was FACT and a penalty.....

There is no harm in saying ref got it wrong and overturning his decision.....that's what VAR is for !

I agree but you cant really have someone sitting in his shed over ruling you when you are on the pitch , it would make it seem that the match ref is crap plus I guess it would put more pressure on the refs knowing that every mistake is going to notice by big brother. I wont like it if I was a ref. I can see why they back the ref but it doesn't make it right.

Thanks for that. My excuse is that I sit opposite the away bench and just can't spot a TV monitor on the other side. Referees can't spot stuff under their nose though.

I think the VAR worked quite well in the 2018 WC because they did use the monitors and it was seen by people as the match ref having the final say which is important. Less so in the Champions League but they had that fiasco with it not working in that Ota incident.

My next question for you or anyone else is that we know the VAR has another ref in his little box but what technical assistance do they get with all those cameras and camera angles and who selects what is seen. There is a lot of technology there and I expect a ref to be a football expert (some hope of that) rather than a techno freak. In the videos above Andy Gray asks people off screen to do the frame by frame stuff for him and I remember when he was at Sky he was pretty good with the tech stuff - well it was his day job.

I am cynical about what the VAR gets to see when I see the the decisions that have gone against us in the first three games and consider how Sky still love the Sky 4. BT have got rid of that dreadful Liverpool fan of a CEO but there are still many left.
Pretty sure the ‘Hawkeye’ people supply both the technology and the people to use the technology. He/she attempts to give the second referee the best angle from which to view incidents. I thought Andy Gray was interesting when he said that there’s ‘been a meeting’ where ‘they’ve’ said that the intention of VAR is NOT to disallow goals that are offside by a millimetre. Possible clarification during the international break?

My next question for you or anyone else is that we know the VAR has another ref in his little box but what technical assistance do they get with all those cameras and camera angles and who selects what is seen. There is a lot of technology there and I expect a ref to be a football expert (some hope of that) rather than a techno freak. In the videos above Andy Gray asks people off screen to do the frame by frame stuff for him and I remember when he was at Sky he was pretty good with the tech stuff - well it was his day job.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ngry-fans-chant-F-VAR-inside-drab-bunker.html

I seem to remember seeing an answer to your question in this article yesterday.

Sounds about right!

At the VERY least, they're going to have to start broadcasting these conversations (both on TV and over the tannoy) like they do in the cricket. It can't be right that those of us in the ground last week had no idea what was going on at the end of the game.

Equally, yesterday, everyone watching on TV is seeing VAR replays that show a nailed-on penalty, one of those stonewallers where there can't possibly be even a single shred of doubt. Yet after a minute of pissing about, it doesn't get given. At least explain to us why!

The explanation they will have worked on, will be fucking pathetic, when it comes out & no doubt will once again break their own rules, meaning yet another 'adaptation' now has to come in, where standing on someone's foot, is deemed 'accidental' .

The explanation they will have worked on, will be fucking pathetic, when it comes out & no doubt will once again break their own rules, meaning yet another 'adaptation' now has to come in, where standing on someone's foot, is deemed 'accidental' .
Yes, you're right. "Explain" was probably the wrong way to phrase it. I'm not interested in their post-match explanations where they've had time to defend the indefensible. I want to hear their reasoning as it's happening in real time. Without that, the whole system is an unaccountable mess.

I don’t have any problem at all with them using VAR to rule on offsides. So what if its not 100% accurate due to frame speeds ?

Agreed, but the advantage HAS to be with the attacker, so a close call (6 inches/15 inches depending onwhere you read the accuracy) should not be flagged

Yes, you're right. "Explain" was probably the wrong way to phrase it. I'm not interested in their post-match explanations where they've had time to defend the indefensible. I want to hear their reasoning as it's happening in real time. Without that, the whole system is an unaccountable mess.

Which should have been the situation, before they even started using it.

It's not an accident, that these people are not informing the public as they make these decisions. It's a system they have chosen.

But yesterday there is no 'grey' area. They either play on, or they review it.

If they choose to review it, as they did, then they can't actually show a clear obvious penalty & then find a reason not to give it.

It's a fucking penalty!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.