Var debate 2019/20

garth crooks says

"
Referee Andre Marriner had an impeded view for a clear and obvious penalty on Silva by Jefferson Lerma. The referee cannot give what he cannot see but I thought that was why we had the video assistant referee. Does this scientific 'know it all' only give what the rest of us cannot see and find mystifying?

Manchester City fans expressed their complete and utter frustration with the science. I wasn't surprised. "

For the penalty yesterday, var would have given the pen of the ref had said down the microphone:
I was looking the other way so I didn't see anything. Or
Silva has gone through and there was no contact

If the ref says:
Silva has gone through and the defender caught his foot but it was minimal and not enough for him to go down

VAR won't give the pen
How did we not get the Rodri penalty against Spurs then?

The referee clearly didn't see that one as he was looking in the other direction. So why hasn't VAR helped him out? Presumably because the on-field ref has spun a load of bollocks down the line, if what you're saying above is the correct protocol.

Both the Rodri and Silva penalties were absolute stonewallers. Regardless of what they're claiming down their headsets, the referees can't possibly have seen either incident clearly. Because, if they had, they'd have given penalties in both cases.

So we're now apparently in the farcical situation where we COULD use technology to get the right decisions (which VAR's proponents insist is the only thing that matters), but we're choosing instead to just go with what the on-field referee saw (or thinks he saw) in real time. Kind of like how we have done for the last 120+ years!

If, as you say, we're still fully reliant on the on-field referees being honest in their appraisals of what they've seen (or not seen), there really is no point in having VAR at all.

For those of us against VAR, its introduction has completely fucked up the game we love. And for those who are in favour of it, it's not even doing the one thing they promised the rest of us it would do (i.e., get decisions right).

You really do have to ask yourself what the point of it all is!

Last edited:
garth crooks says

"
Referee Andre Marriner had an impeded view for a clear and obvious penalty on Silva by Jefferson Lerma. The referee cannot give what he cannot see but I thought that was why we had the video assistant referee. Does this scientific 'know it all' only give what the rest of us cannot see and find mystifying?

Manchester City fans expressed their complete and utter frustration with the science. I wasn't surprised. "

yea but from what I have read on here Marriner has to admit he didn't see it for VAR to be used so Garth he must have seen it or the ref lied

for VAR to be used the ref has to admit he missed it , that wont happen with their ego's

Is it right that there is a monitor for the match ref to look at and yet it haws not been used? I thought the whole point of VAR was to draw attention to things the match officials might have missed and to allow them to have another, closer look. I don't think it was ever meant for the new boy in the box to have the final say so.

The match ref HAS to be in charge - he can make mistakes or have his view obstructed, so he should be seen to have another look at the suggestion of the VAR man. There is no shame in missing things. Anyone can make a mistake -admitting it would create a better impression of refs than the arrogant 'I am always right and my mate in the VAR box agrees' does them no credit.

Anyone remember the good old days not so long ago when the liner (sorry the assistant referee is better) would intervene and help the ref with something he missed. They are miked up ffs - it's not hard and in the really olden days a decent determined liner would stay put with his flag in the air until the match ref saw it and went to see what he had seen.

I never thought I would ever agree with something Andy Gray and his side kicks said but he shows the probs with frame speed and the moment the ball is touched.
I don’t have any problem at all with them using VAR to rule on offsides. So what if its not 100% accurate due to frame speeds ? It’s still more accurate than a human being trying to look at two different places at the same time. They probably should introduce a small margin for error. There’s also an issue with offsides near the halfway line, whether to raise the flag or keep it down. I’m in favour of keeping it down, but there will circumstances when an offside pass doesn’t lead to an immediate goal but creates pressure eg a corner leading to a goal. And there will be controversy over whether players are active or not. But overall VAR will lead to many more correct offside decisions.

They’ve clearly set the bar too high for penalty reviews. It seems to me to be a cultural thing, refs not wanting to overrule their colleagues. There needs to be a review of the guidelines given to VAR officials. Although they had better make it clear that new guidelines have been introduced otherwise it will fuel conspiracy theorists if they start awarding penalties for similar challenges to those on Rodri, Silva, Kane etc

How did we not get the Rodri penalty against Spurs then?

The referee clearly didn't see that one as he was looking in the other direction. So why hasn't VAR helped him out? Presumably because the on-field ref has spun a load of bollocks down the line, if what you're saying above is the correct protocol.

Both the Rodri and Silva penalties were absolute stonewallers. Regardless of what they're claiming down their headsets, the referees can't possibly have seen either incident clearly. Because, if they had, they'd have given penalties in both cases.

So we're now apparently in the farcical situation where we COULD use technology to get the right decisions (which VAR's proponents insist is the only thing that matters), but we're choosing instead to just go with what the on-field referee saw in real time. Kind of like how we have done for the last 120+ years!

If, as you say, we're still fully reliant on the on-field referees being honest in their appraisals of what they've seen (or not seen), there really is no point in having VAR at all.

For those of us against VAR, its introduction has completely fucked up the game we love. And for those who are in favour of it, it's not even doing the one thing they promised the rest of us it would do (i.e., get decisions right).

You really do have to ask yourself what the point of it all is!

Here's a question: WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY REVIEWING ?

Another thing, what's this bullcr*p about not changing subjective decisions? There's nothing more subjective these days than a handball decision?

Someone explain to me for example when your arms are in an unnatural position...? Do not for a second try and convince me that is black and white.

It's all bullsh*t they are making it up as they go along including this setting the bar high..where the f*ck is this mythical bar and why do no fans know where it starts?

What is amusing is the way the commentary teams and pundits are at a complete loss too, there literally is no one who understands the system bar the idiots at PIGMOL.

The way Andy Gray explains their meetings gives me the impression that Riley really is just tweaking this on a weekly basis, for example the way ahead of the second round of matches the offsides got changed where suddenly he tells the assistant refs to flag as per normal even if it’s too close to call - once again eliminating the whole point of VAR.

It stinks.

As somebody who was in favour of VAR, and was looking forward to it’s implementation to correct wrong refereeing decisions on the pitch, I’m starting to dislike VAR, and more so, the faceless officials sat in a room using VAR to make incorrect ‘refereeing’ decisions.

The chant is spreading.

“F*** VAR!”

Penalty on David Silva not given by VAR.

That’s 2 stonewall penalties not given by VAR in the last 2 games.

A01-CAF41-F403-4-AE6-9-FFF-68587-C08-C65-D.jpg

525-F39-BB-C1-FF-4-E1-F-A6-BD-304-E81-DE6-AEB.jpg

5-FEFA74-E-A71-C-4350-AFC7-7-F152-BF4-E891.png

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.