Var debate 2019/20

As somebody who was in favour of VAR, and was looking forward to it’s implementation to correct wrong refereeing decisions on the pitch, I’m starting to dislike VAR, and more so, the faceless officials sat in a room using VAR to make incorrect ‘refereeing’ decisions.

The chant is spreading.

“F*** VAR!”

Penalty on David Silva not given by VAR.

That’s 2 stonewall penalties not given by VAR in the last 2 games.

VAR isn't going to be used to change penalty decisions (that was made clear by Shearer last night on MOTD) - so why are they reviewing them? Practise for actually overturning them next season maybe?

This is why the ‘clear and obvious’ rule needs to be better explained.

The best explanation I’ve heard is that if there were ten refs in the VAR room viewing the incident, 9 or even possibly all 10 of them would have to agree it’s a penalty. Anything less than that (such as at ours last week) and they won’t tell the ref to look at it on his pitch side monitor.

This, we are led to believe, is because they don’t want refs tottering over to review incidents several times a game (after they trialled that in the cups last season and managers moaned about players getting cold and pulling muscles) and therefore the PL have set “a very high bar” for subjective decisions like that.
They are trying too make penalty decision subject when just like offside they are a matter of fact.

"Run it through again please Tarquin......."

"Foot comes down...on top of Silva's foot....he goes down...in pain...."

"One more time please sweeteee...."

"Foot comes down... yep.....on top of Silva's foot....yep.......he goes down...in pain....yep..."

"Yep ok....I've made my decision...NOOOOO PENAL TEEEEEEE HEHE HEHE ! " (round of applause)

Silva foot stamped on yesterday by Bournemouth was FACT and a penalty.....

There is no harm in saying ref got it wrong and overturning his decision.....that's what VAR is for !

As somebody who was in favour of VAR, and was looking forward to it’s implementation to correct wrong refereeing decisions on the pitch, I’m starting to dislike VAR, and more so, the faceless officials sat in a room using VAR to make incorrect ‘refereeing’ decisions.

The chant is spreading.

“F*** VAR!”

Penalty on David Silva not given by VAR.

That’s 2 stonewall penalties not given by VAR in the last 2 games.

A01-CAF41-F403-4-AE6-9-FFF-68587-C08-C65-D.jpg

525-F39-BB-C1-FF-4-E1-F-A6-BD-304-E81-DE6-AEB.jpg

5-FEFA74-E-A71-C-4350-AFC7-7-F152-BF4-E891.png
The “amusing” part too was that Lerma knew it was stonewall as well, his reaction after the stamp said it all as he did the obligatory throw of 2 arms high into the air with the I didn’t touch him look.

VAR isn't going to be used to change penalty decisions (that was made clear by Shearer last night on MOTD) - so why are they reviewing them? Practise for actually overturning them next season maybe?
They are still fighting against FACT.

I imagine it was the same when finger prints came in.

with these VAR reviews I cant say I have notice much of an increase in added time, we were at the Schalke game 7-0 VAR was used for all the goals in the first half taking about 10 mins plus to give all 4 goals yet the added time was only 3 or 4 mins , same in the second half I reckon I was done out of 15 minutes of football which I had paid to see ! the match was only about 75 to 80 mins of playing time. a good 10 to 15 minutes were spent waiting for VAR....

Why is the PL trying to reinvent the way VAR is used instead of looking at how it is used successfully in other countries?
Three games in and there hasn’t been one incorrect decision overturned, not one instance where we would have said in previous seasons that the ref’s got in wrong has been corrected. In its current form it’s a total waste of time.

Excellent post and yes, apparently there is a monitor at the side of the pitch. Watched some post on you tube post after the Spurs game where Glenn Hoddle pointed out that the ref didn’t want to keep going over to it because it would add too much time on at the end of the each game. Well, why have it at all if they’re not going to use it.

Thanks for that. My excuse is that I sit opposite the away bench and just can't spot a TV monitor on the other side. Referees can't spot stuff under their nose though.

I think the VAR worked quite well in the 2018 WC because they did use the monitors and it was seen by people as the match ref having the final say which is important. Less so in the Champions League but they had that fiasco with it not working in that Ota incident.

My next question for you or anyone else is that we know the VAR has another ref in his little box but what technical assistance do they get with all those cameras and camera angles and who selects what is seen. There is a lot of technology there and I expect a ref to be a football expert (some hope of that) rather than a techno freak. In the videos above Andy Gray asks people off screen to do the frame by frame stuff for him and I remember when he was at Sky he was pretty good with the tech stuff - well it was his day job.

I am cynical about what the VAR gets to see when I see the the decisions that have gone against us in the first three games and consider how Sky still love the Sky 4. BT have got rid of that dreadful Liverpool fan of a CEO but there are still many left.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.