David Silva - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
His 400th game for City.

In the Blue Moon History section for most City appearances in all competitions. Willie Donachie is 10th with 436 games .

David could sneak into the Top 10 before he leaves us.

He almost certainly will play that many if he stays injury free. A great achievement.

Build his statue right in front of the Etihad. I'd say name a stand after him too but truly feel we should name a stand after Trautmann first. Still Merlin could be the best and most decorated City player ever.

I genuinely have no idea why he is retiring. Playing football is a joy and having long retired at amateur level (2002 was the last time I played a proper 11-a-side game) there hasn’t been a day since when I wouldn’t have given my eye teeth to play competitively for another season. Dave is still delivering at the highest level, he’s light framed, and he’s got the rest of his life to retire in. I would hope that if, come March/April time, he is still in this kind of form, he will at least give some thought to reconsidering his decision

I genuinely have no idea why he is retiring. Playing football is a joy and having long retired at amateur level (2002 was the last time I played a proper 11-a-side game) there hasn’t been a day since when I wouldn’t have given my eye teeth to play competitively for another season. Dave is still delivering at the highest level, he’s light framed, and he’s got the rest of his life to retire in. I would hope that if, come March/April time, he is still in this kind of form, he will at least give some thought to reconsidering his decision

Was thinking exactly the same whilst watching him yesterday.

Obviously he knows best regarding his personal plans, and perhaps spending time with young Matteo is part of his thinking, but he certainly looked as though the game was effortless . Brilliant player.

He is leaving City, not retiring? And i don't mind it at all. The fact that this will be his last season with us means we won't have to see a heavily declining David Silva. Like we saw with Yaya.

He will leave on a high. Which is nice.

Pep dropped a bollock not picking him for Spurs, even though Gundy played well that day I think we would have won 5/6-2 that day because Dave finds those killer spaces and passes and the forward line is more in-tune with its movements and decision-making than with Gundy, where there isn't that rapport so the forward line know "if I'm here and he's there, I do this and he'll do that". With Gundy it's a bit more "ok, well I try this you try a bit of that" and it's not as clearly defined and thus as clinical to me, Dave has his left winger and left back on puppet strings and I can't believe Pep rested him two games in in such a big game.

Pep dropped a bollock not picking him for Spurs, even though Gundy played well that day I think we would have won 5/6-2 that day because Dave finds those killer spaces and passes and the forward line is more in-tune with its movements and decision-making than with Gundy, where there isn't that rapport so the forward line know "if I'm here and he's there, I do this and he'll do that". With Gundy it's a bit more "ok, well I try this you try a bit of that" and it's not as clearly defined and thus as clinical to me, Dave has his left winger and left back on puppet strings and I can't believe Pep rested him two games in in such a big game.

I don’t think he did. Our dominance proved Pep right, our defending and finishing were off point. Although a case can be made for the defensive side of things with Gundogan in that game.

I don't think he is retiring exactly. Doesn't he want to go home and play for his hometown club? Whatever he does, he will be stepping down and winding down towards retirement.

He's essentially trying to go out at the top and there's a lot to be said for that. I still miss playing football but what I did was recreational; he's doing it day in day out with an intensity that must be wearing on both mind and body.

That said, watching him at the weekend, his level was such that he looked to have more to offer than just this season. I do think his consistency has fallen off a bit though and maybe he is feeling that. Regardless, his performance on Sunday was a delight: a combination of wonderful skill, incisive vision and dogged determination.

He's an exceptional player and I hope City can add a Champions League medal to his glittering collection before he leaves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.