Var debate 2019/20

Far be it from me to disagree with almost everybody but I think the ball hits the defender's arm/shoulder at the same time as it hits Laporte, maybe even sooner.....PENALTY!
Seriously, how can that be ruled "obvious"?

Other people have denied/refuse to accept that it hits his arm -the proof is there in the videos of the incident....and if the players said it hit his arm then it was the corret decision asit was said after the game (of course ref's shouldnt listen to players during the game as like you say we wouldn have endless groups of players surrounding the ref's on every decision).

The contact on Laporte happens before the ball comes to him and doesnt' stop him getting to the ball and is not happening when he challenges for the ball (yes there is challenge but not pulling).....the differece being Martial is directly in control of the ball and the pull affects his ability to shoot...in the laporte instance it doesnt affect his ability to head the ball....(in fact his arms are near enough where they should be if he was going to head he ball anyway......

here is the video again:

https://www.mancity.com/citytv/matc...nham-premier-league-video-highlights-extended

at 7.19 there is contact by both players
at 7.20 laporte is free from contact and moving towards the ball
between 7.21-7.22 laporte is still free and still moving and ahead of the spurs player (slightly)
7.23 both players are together going to head the ball (ducking their heads down)

the only real contact is right at he start before the ball is kicked and at the point of contact when they both go to head he ball - that isnt a penalty
A pull is a foul. Whether the ball has reached Laporte or not is irrelevant, I could say it impedes his run and slows him down so it’s a penalty.

The pull on Martial is completely irrelevant as it’s outside the box.

The video shows the ball hits Laporte’s shoulder which isn’t “handball”, if it was deemed so Sterling couldn’t have been given offside the previous week against WHU. It may well have hit his hand as well but there’s nothing conclusive in the video as I said before, so VAR couldn’t be 100% sure and shouldn’t have made the decision. We won’t even get on to the interpretation of the laws because they were wrong on that front too, as you well know.

have read them numerous times.....different versions say slightly different things and the explantion of those versions can be interprited differently as well so there is no point in keeping going over it as from my reading of the explanation of the rules by IFAB it was correctly disallowed....you obviously favour the idea that it was incorrectly denied....lets leave it there.
You are the only one who has added the word OR to the handball rules to suit your position

no..i meant fear that we may get beaten to the title.

But i do take your point and i get it could be fear of being treated differently ......which woud be justifiable.....I just dont see the evidene that we are being treated differently...as someone else posted, there have been 30 odd VAR reviews on penalties and not one of them has been overturned/changed.
Just look at the quantity of controversial “incorrect” decisions against us before VAR and also post VAR. Every team may have the odd one, they haven’t got half a dozen in the last few Champions League and Premier League games.

What more evidence do you need? Do you need Scudamore, Swarbrick and Riley to come and draw you a picture?

The one thing yourself and one or two other posters trying to push this false narrative have in common is a selective memory and a clear intent on being purposefully deceptive in recollection of incidents, using things like a pull on Martial outside the box as ABSOLUTE PROOF it’s not just affected City. It’s not just City by the way, all teams will be on the receiving end of an “incorrect” decision at some stage but the quantity/frequency and consistency of those decisions going a certain way gives the game away, you just don’t want to see it or believe it.

As much as the new rule is rubbish regarding handball, that rule is in place for the season, so City have not lost 2 points, as that goal is not allowed with the current laws.
I hope that doesn't have us saying we should have won the league even though we were two points behind;)

As much as the new rule is rubbish regarding handball, that rule is in place for the season, so City have not lost 2 points, as that goal is not allowed with the current laws.
Given that he didn't gain possession of the ball or set up a GSO according to the rules it was a perfectly good goal

As some posters have said that there are pitch side monitors, I have yet to see 1 ref going and using them. This leads me to the only conclusion that there are no pitch side monitors at any of the ground. However if there are pitch side monitors why aren't the refs using them to help their decisions.

Given that he didn't gain possession of the ball or set up a GSO according to the rules it was a perfectly good goal

Well if they interpret that for every incident in a similar way, then we haven't been hard done by. I suppose that will become clear as more incidents involving a hand/arm are reviewed.

EDIT

a player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity

I assume you refer to the above rule when saying it was a perfectly good goal. It depends how you read it.

I see it as...

If a player gains control/possession and then scores OR
If it touches their hand/arm and creates a goal-scoring opportunity

So it was disallowed due to the second part, which seems pretty clear to me

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.