Was Alan Ball as bad as people remember?

I agree selling Hinchcliffe was unfortunate, but I thought Reid played Heath, not Kendall. Was a long time ago so maybe my memory fails me. The rest I agree with, only us could implode like that!!
Adrian Heath was very much a Peter Reid favourite.
And coach Sam Ellis should have his own thread, another man who was an utter **** and ***** coach.

Yep, was a missed opportunity because it was the 'Kendall months' rather than years. Don't think he quite made a whole 12 months. It was Reid in particular who benched Allen, then got us playing more and more route one stuff seeing us finish 5th, 5th, 9th then start 93/94 poorly (admittedly after no investment that summer).
Think Sam Ellis may have been behind some of the route one tactics. Instead of spending a fortune on Wimbledon defenders a decent partner for Quinn and some more creativity in midfield and who knows what we couldve achieved. A fit and firing Lake would have also made a difference.

Think Sam Ellis may have been behind some of the route one tactics. Instead of spending a fortune on Wimbledon defenders a decent partner for Quinn and some more creativity in midfield and who knows what we couldve achieved. A fit and firing Lake would have also made a difference.

Absolutely right re: Sam Ellis. Had the misfortune of watching Bury on the odd occasion when he was manager there and I think "agricultural" is probably a kind way to describe the way he liked his football played. I personally think the sale of Michael Hughes and replacing him with Rick Holden was also an extremely poor decision at that time.

Absolutely right re: Sam Ellis. Had the misfortune of watching Bury on the odd occasion when he was manager there and I think "agricultural" is probably a kind way to describe the way he liked his football played. I personally think the sale of Michael Hughes and replacing him with Rick Holden was also an extremely poor decision at that time.
Yes, remember being baffled at the time by that one. Hughes was an exciting prospect and to offload him for a low fee and replace him with a much older and more expensive Holden still doesnt make sense. Add to that players like Sheron tailing off after some early promise.

Because you’re somehow attempting to equate Peps first season with the clusterfuck that was Alan Ball? Or at least given the subject matter that’s what I imagine you’re doing. That in itself deserves all the derision that comes your way.
Hart was long past his best as a traditional keeper, never mind one that would have to adapt to Peps game. Bravo, whilst struggling that first season is far from a clown. Only dickheads think that.
We finished trophyless but there was a clear plan, anybody with eyes could see it and only necessary tweaks were required. Our fullbacks at the time we’re never going to be capable of doing the work required so we’re rightly moved on.
Once he had the players needed to play the way he wanted we had it cracked and have gone from strength to strength.
Your post was nonsense- stick to talking about Wales and your bucket hat because that’s about your limit.

Exactly.

Yes, remember being baffled at the time by that one. Hughes was an exciting prospect and to offload him for a low fee and replace him with a much older and more expensive Holden still doesnt make sense. Add to that players like Sheron tailing off after some early promise.

If I remember rightly Hughes refused to sign a new contract and wanted a move.

Didn't know that. Just seemed a strange move at the time when he ended up at Strasbourg and was replaced by the one-paced Holden.

The crowd loved him. I remember everyone rated him highly and after he scored a great goal everyone singing, " Who the fuck is Ryan Giggs?" His agent and him were in dispute about his contract and we transferred him as a result. Fair to say it never worked out for him as he may have had some minor success but not to the top level as was predicted for him.

Rank these in order .... listed mine, included not only trophies but likability, etc

BALL ........... 21
BENSON .......20
MACHIN ........14
FRANK CLARK ........19
COPPELL ....... 15
HUGHES ...... 13
PEARCE ....... 16
SVEN ..........10
MCNEILL ........... 18
ALLISON ( As Manager ) ...... 17
JUDAS KENDALL ......... 11
HORTON 12
PEP ..... 1
MERCER ......2
BOOK ....... 6
KEEGAN ........ 8
MANCINI ....... 3
PELLEGRINI ........ 5
REID ........ 4
ROYLE .......... 9
BOND ...... 7

Last edited:
Rank these in order .... listed mine

BALL ........... 20
BENSON .......19
MACHIN ........13
FRANK CLARKE ........18
COPPELL ....... 14
HUGHES ...... 12
PEARCE ....... 15
SVEN ..........10
MCNEILL ........... 17
ALLISON ( As Manager ) ...... 16
JUDAS KENDALL ......... 11
PEP ..... 1
MERCER ......2
BOOK ....... 6
KEEGAN ........ 8
MANCINI ....... 3
PELLEGRINI ........ 5
REID ........ 4
ROYLE .......... 9
BOND ...... 7
What about Horton, he was better than a lot of them. Clarke the worse for me. Completely clueless

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.