Colin Bell

Bell was interviewed by the MEN about that time and this is what he said:
In his forthcoming autobiography "Reluctant Hero", Bell travels back to the day when his former team-mate arrived back at Maine Road as City's new chairman, and recounts the events which led to a highly public bust-up between the two.

The fuse leading to that powder-keg, he explains, was ignited when ex-Blues midfielder Neil McNab was recruited on to the club's coaching staff.

Says Bell: "By early 1994, I had been back at City for four years and had loved every minute. I received a modest salary but that didn't matter to me. It's just great when you do a job you love.

"I have never been interested in the politics within the club but I was aware that there had been a long battle for control at board level. There had been protests by supporters against chairman Peter Swales, but that didn't affect me.

"My old friend Francis Lee eventually took over as chairman in February that year and I was happy to see him back. We had never been as close as the supporters had imagined, so I didn't expect any favours from him.

"I had every confidence that Francis returning to the club would have a positive effect. After all, he was part of the City family.

"Changes happen frequently at football clubs. Players came and went and there were comings and goings, too, among the backroom staff. Former manager Jimmy Frizzell took over as chief scout, and ex-player Neil McNab became part of the coaching staff.

"McNab had a different approach to me. I didn't approve of the way he talked to the boys. I found him a difficult person to deal with. He disagreed with my views on how things should be done.

"He seemed to resent me, which I couldn't understand, and there were a series of incidents that seemed designed to embarrass me.

"After many happy years at Manchester City, for the first time in my life I dreaded going into the club. I was deeply unhappy and didn't know what to do. I wasn't the only person who felt that way.

"On a couple of occasions I requested meetings with Francis Lee and told him of my concerns about McNab. Francis didn't react to my complaints in the way I'd hoped, simply telling me that he would consider the matter.

"I worked very closely with Terry Farrell, who was another member of the youth staff, and in the May of 1997 we were both told that the manager Frank Clark wanted to see us at Platt Lane.

"We went along as requested, with Terry going in to see Clark first. A few minutes later, Terry emerged to tell me he had been sacked. I hadn't expected that, and my head was still spinning when I took my turn to face Clark and his assistant Alan Hill.

"I had barely sat down when, in a clinical and cold way, Clark simply said: `We are dispensing with your services.' Neil McNab was also sacked that day.

"Francis Lee made no attempt to contact me in the aftermath of my dismissal, and has publicly claimed that he was in Jersey when I was sacked. If I had been the chairman of Manchester City when a decision of that nature had been taken, I would have done things differently.

"I reluctantly asked for the return of my England cap, which had been loaned to the club for display. It broke my heart to take it back but I felt it was something I had to do.

"I took legal advice with a view to taking the club to an employment tribunal. I saw that as an opportunity to make my concerns public in an unbiased way.

"The case came to court in mid-October. I wanted Francis Lee to appear in court so that I could hear his side of the story but he did not attend. After hearing detailed accounts of what had taken place during the last year at City, the chairman of the tribunal suggested that the club and my legal representatives settled the matter out of court, which we did.

"I am reluctant to go into any great detail about that last horrible year I spent at City. What I will say is that I no longer have any contact with Francis Lee. I am a forgiving person but I am also stubborn.

"I have decided that I will not attend any function at which Francis Lee is present. This is one occasion when I will stand resolutely by my decision."

So on one hand Lee was his "old friend" but on the other "they weren't as close as supporters imagined". And Bell went whingeing to Lee over the manager's head. It sounds like Lee and/or Clark weren't happy with the way Bell, Farrell & McNab were working together and got rid. Maybe Lee could have handled it a bit better but shit happens. The fact that the tribunal referred it back suggests Bell really didn't have that much of a case.

Bit sad to hear about one of your heroes behaving like a bit of a spoiled brat.

Whitworth Park said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
Whitworth Park said:
Blames Lee for getting him sacked at Maine Road.
Although if you ready Rodney Marsh book it totaly exhonarates Lee
and states that when Bell and the other two sued City for wrongfull dismissal they would have lost.
Lee got the club to fork out settlements to save having to drag Bell into
the witness box.
He goes on to say that several City old players have made Bell aware of this
but he still will not back down.
Wasn't that one of the first things Lee did when he became chairman, Bell was something to do with the youth team at the time?

I,m only going off the Rodney Marsh book.
There was CB and two others (I dont have the book with me to quote their names) working with the Juniors.
Aparently there was a load of rumors of mismanagment and other things (not
stated in the book ) going on.
City hired a team of private investigators/consultants to look into the goings
on and they came back with a report so bad that it recomended fireing
the three of them on the spot.
Lee would not have it as he idolised CB.
He went away on hoilday and whilst he was away the other board members sacked them.
He was furious but it had been done and CB blamed him.
Then as I said three took them for unfair dismisel.
Aparently what ever was in the report was so bad for the three of them and
CB in particular that Lee did not want such a legend as CB to have it brought
out in the courts, so got the club to settle.
The report has never been made public knowledge.
Not wanting to cast doubt on Bell at the club, but I can well believe there was cronic mismangement throughout the club when Lee too over(thats not a dig at Bell).

Bell was interviewed by the MEN about that time and this is what he said:

So on one hand Lee was his "old friend" but on the other "they weren't as close as supporters imagined". And Bell went whingeing to Lee over the manager's head. It sounds like Lee and/or Clark weren't happy with the way Bell, Farrell & McNab were working together and got rid. Maybe Lee could have handled it a bit better but shit happens. The fact that the tribunal referred it back suggests Bell really didn't have that much of a case.

Bit sad to hear about one of your heroes behaving like a bit of a spoiled brat.
And yet, Franny as chairman was not a great success. At their age, they should bury the hatchet.

Weren’t they on the pitch before Vinnys testimonial? I may have got it wrong, I can’t be certain Franny was there, but Bell definitely was because I was shocked to see him. He’s lost a lot of weight, didn’t recognise him at first.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.