Colin Bell

I remember when he returned as sub after injury. I had knee problems and when I saw his knee during the ovation I very sadly knew we had seen the best of him. What a powerhouse.

I don't know why people compare Colin Bell & David Silva as they're completely different players. A better comparison is between Bell & De Bruyne but possibly the best for those who never saw Bell is with peak Yaya Toure, although Bell didn't need a sit-down and a few gulps of oxygen after a 60 yard sprint like Yaya did.
Colin had everything, the Yaya surge (all the time - not just once or twice a game), extraordinary pace (quickest player in the league), vicious, accurate shot, endless stamina, exceptional in the air, colossal physical strength beyond his wiry frame, outstanding technique, perfect temperament, complete passing range, tenacious in the tackle and a goalscorer. Yes, he was that good and despite the comeback we lost him when he was just getting into his prime at 29. He had the conditioning of a 2019 player in the 60s and 70s. If he was playing now his value would be right at the top. Believe me, he was that good - even on the rubbish heavy pitches with the old ball. Perfect Pep player.

Last edited:
I remember when he returned as sub after injury. I had knee problems and when I saw his knee during the ovation I very sadly knew we had seen the best of him. What a powerhouse.
In the 90s I saw him play in a City legends team against ICI over 35s in Crumpsall. He had limited movement in his knee but he kept pinging 40, 50, 60 yard diagonal passes to Peter Barnes - inch perfect every time - no backlift (pure timing). A genius. The guy brings tears to the eyes of older City fans.

I don't know why people compare Colin Bell & David Silva as they're completely different players. A better comparison is between Bell & De Bruyne but possibly the best for those who never saw Bell is with peak Yaya Toure, although Bell didn't need a sit-down and a few gulps of oxygen after a 60 yard sprint like Yaya did.
Cheap dig at Yaya ruins an otherwise decent post

I remember his comeback match when he came on as a sub. I was only about 8/9 and was wondering why the whole ground was on their feet. Had he not been injured we would have won the league in 77.

Amazing how few away wins there were back then. Liverpool won the league with 5 away wins out of 21. Teams were probably much happier with a draw than they are now with only 2 points for a win.
Win at home, draw away - title form in those days.

Colin Bell in his pomp was a sight to behold , he played every game like it was his last , and he ticks the boxes of all the ingredients required for a truly world class player ,if any of our younger supporters could watch him play for ninety minutes it would be an education , i fell so lucky to have watched him play week in , week out . Used to love his goal celebrations , because there wasnt one , he just turned and headed back to the centre circle , job done , my hero.

I was there when he was injured due to the Buchan tackle and there against Newcastle when he returned. I was too young so therefore not possible to say how good he was. However it is clesr he could play now. Most couldn't.

If Colin could do what he did during his time, with the heavy pitches, heavy balls, heavy boots, heavy shirts, just imagine what he could do in today’s environment.

As much as I love Merlin, Yaya and KdB, Nijinsky remains the best City player.

But I never saw Billy Meredith nor Peter Doherty,

My father, who was a big, big Colin Bell fan, still reckoned that Peter Doherty was the best he’d ever seen in a City shirt. Alas, he never got to see the post take-over teams.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.