US diplomat wife flees UK after killing teen - not coming back

Can't imagine how tough it must be for his parents to hear that complete dismissal from Trump. Apparently it's hard to remember to drive on the right side of the road, so that's a free pass to kill people with your carelessness. Absolutely ridiculous

Trump' s statement was as usual clumsy and inarticulate and in his own mind he's probably even thinking every country should have the same driving rules as in the U.S. But as much as it pains me to even partly agree with him I remember my American wife turning the wrong way on a dark country road in Devon one night. This was when she'd been living in England for a year then and was used to driving there, like the woman who killed the lad it's not as if she had just got off the plane. At times the memory of how you've done a thing for many years just takes over and I think that's what happened in this case in Northants. But she is a right woman for fleeing the country and an arrogant one for thinking being American will protect her. Send her back and lock her up, as Trump might say.

The danger time is when you're pulling out of a petrol station or diner car park onto the road or just turning (particularly left turns) and your natural instinct is to go to the left hand side of the road. Happened to me a couple of times in Arizona and I saw a car heading towards me on a side road. This is a real tragedy but I can understand why it happened.
Still gets me after 7 years driving on the ‘wrong’ side. Although it’s never been more than a millisecond.

I believe it's the main communications hub for the USAF in Western Europe and probably has significant intelligence gathering capabilities as well. It's probably the military equivalent of the NSA's Menwith Hill intercept station in North Yorkshire, which is also laughingly described as an "RAF base".

Having said that, I've driven extensively in the USA and it's easy enough when you're on the road itself. The danger time is when you're pulling out of a petrol station or diner car park onto the road or just turning (particularly left turns) and your natural instinct is to go to the left hand side of the road. Happened to me a couple of times in Arizona and I saw a car heading towards me on a side road. This is a real tragedy but I can understand why it happened.

Think you’re getting confused with driving in France.

why is there a presumption that she had any choice?
It’s just as likely that she and husband were ordered back to the States.
It appears to be standard procedure when US diplomats are involved in anything questionable.

Ah right she was frogmarched to the airport under US armed guard forcing her on a plane, and while she's been in America she's still under strict instructions not to come back to the UK to help with the case of the death of the lad.

Yep. I actually feel for her now.

That's all true but immunity can be waved and that is what you would expect from a 'friendly' country. Yet again the USA demonstrates that the 'Special Relationship' is a one way street. In this case a slight disruption to the life of a US citizen is infinitely more important than ending the life of a UK one.
It's only a one way street if you are blinkered where do you think the sidewinder missiles on our harriers and the stinger missiles came from which enabled the fleet air arm see off the Argentine Airforce. Ask yourself where the fuel on Ascension Island to refuel our fleet came from,all while claiming to be impartial.

Ah right she was frogmarched to the airport under US armed guard forcing her on a plane, and while she's been in America she's still under strict instructions not to come back to the UK to help with the case of the death of the lad.

Yep. I actually feel for her now.

you don’t understand do you?

effectively her husband is a member of the US armed forces and an intelligence officer. She may also be a spook. Their commanding Officer says jump they ask how high.

No point to her coming back because even if she did under her own steam we can’t do anything unless Trump revokes her diplomatic immunity. She cannot surrender it voluntarily.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.