Post Match Thread - United (h)

Quite strange really. I don't know whether it's because I am going off football generally because of VAR etc, or maybe because Liverpool is the now the club to hate.

But in my 53 years of watching City, I can never remember being so un-bothered by a derby defeat. We were bloody useless again and I just sat and watched it quite emotionless. I get more wound up on the political forums.
On the VAR element of your post, in the first 10 mins yesterday I knew we were going to get fucked by it. There were a couple of instances where Taylor made a big point of holding up the game whilst putting his hand to his ear, even for innocuous bollocks. Immediately I said to the guys around me that they were setting us up for it, it was so bloody obvious.

Yes, I posted on the night that the team’s performance on Tuesday at Burnley made me feel a little ashamed that I’d doubted them. But it seems to be a case of one step forward, one step back at the moment. (And a derby defeat does intensify the hurt.) I agree completely about the players we have and about the woeful officiating that is screwing us but we made it too easy for the Rags yesterday. Of course, it might all look a lot more rosy after the Arsenal and Leicester games!

We do make it easy for teams. There isn't a game where I don't think that every opposition attack, sparse as they might be, will not yield a goal, and once inside the area the slightest tumble will deliver them a penalty courtesy of VAR. At the other end I am convinced that with every attack we will score. But derby matches are up for grabs. Sooner or later the crappier team will win. It took us 35 years didn't it, to win a Swamp derby. I keep telling my ERO the same thing - sooner of later they will beat The Dippers. As for the Arse and Foxes game, I expect the latter will be a repetition of yesterday, woeful officiating and appalling VAR decisions.

Can't agree that we've been poor all season because, if that were the case, we'd be nowhere near top four and already qualified for the CL knock-out stage. It just doesn't square. What is clear is that since the beginning of November there's been a terrible decline in the team's performances.
Two or three remarks, though. Not bringing on Foden from about minute 60, when it was crystal clear that neither Merlin nor Kev had been functioning from the beginning of the match, is simply incomprehensible. Bringing him on right at the end is simply an insult. What on earth is Pep thinking? What must the lad be thinking?
Our inability to vary our tactics is worrying. Teams have got us sussed. The pretty passing in an arc from side to side outside their box, waiting for a gap to appear which simply did not appear, was repeated over and over in the most sterile way. One thing we're barely doing, which we executed well during Pep's first season, and brilliantly during the Centurions season: the overlap on both touchlines, and the angled cut-back along the ground right into the opposition box. Walker did it once yesterday in the first half, it didn't get through, but it was beautiful to see. Sane's out, so it's not really an option on the other side (it's unfair to ask either Angeliño or Zin to do it, they just don't have the pace, and in Mendy's case both his pace and confidence are shot). But Pep must have told Walker not to do it, presumably because he doesn't have the legs to get back any more. Whatever it is, we're missing it, direly, as a way of mixing it up, and alternative to the probing through the middle, which absolutely was not working yesterday. High crosses: forget them. They are meat and drink to the opposition, and that is true of virtually everyone we play. Laporte scored the crucial goal at Brighton in the final game last season. Otamendi, yesterday. Two central defenders. That tells you everything you need to know.
And now, something else. A friend I met in the car park afterwards said something that I have to hold my hands up to. We as supporters are really not great. If things are going our way, it's all fine and dandy. It's normal that things should have gone flat after United's second. But I expected us to give the team more in the second half. Even in the south stand, nothing much was happening. A bloke in my row left at half time! I mean, what the actual? Another bloke in my row - a good blue, who I know and like - left fully twenty minutes before the end. Now it's not for me to police other fans' behaviour, but it leaves me very puzzled indeed. I don't care about other club's fans, that's neither here nor there for me. We criticize the players – legitimate – we criticise the manager – legitimate – we might take a good long look at ourselves sometimes. Are we becoming entitled? I hope not.
Oh and one more thing. Two seasons ago, we accumulated a never before seen 100 points, and won two trophies. Last season, we achieved a never before seen domestic treble. These are things I never expected to see, even after the takeover. It is right that we as fans should not forget too quickly. But for any truly great team and manager, these things should be ancient history. Only the current season counts. Only the next match is real. Otherwise, you're already sliding towards a mindset where you've put your slippers on, you've lit your pipe, and you're sitting by the fire reminiscing. I'm a grandfather, but I don't fucking want that! Because there's only one stop after that one...
Yesterday hurts, and will carry on hurting for days, like a burn, but the rags are essentially an irrelevance. Our title challenge is over. The season isn't even half over, and there are trophies to be won. Be critical – that's our prerogative – but let's get behind the fucking team on match days! Otherwise, I mean really, what's the point?

We do make it easy for teams. There isn't a game where I don't think that every opposition attack, sparse as they might be, will not yield a goal, and once inside the area the slightest tumble will deliver them a penalty courtesy of VAR. At the other end I am convinced that with every attack we will score. But derby matches are up for grabs. Sooner or later the crappier team will win. It took us 35 years didn't it, to win a Swamp derby. I keep telling my ERO the same thing - sooner of later they will beat The Dippers. As for the Arse and Foxes game, I expect the latter will be a repetition of yesterday, woeful officiating and appalling VAR decisions.

to be honest I think Leicester are the only hope of stopping Liverpool now, however slim that is.

we are gone this season. We will limp to 3/4th. Hopefully get players back for the CL and have a go at that. Need to buy in Jan though whatever the cost.

not much else to add that's already been said really ?

i did fear this before the game and warned of this johnny big bollocks going into the derby, with them in mid-table and us retaining champions, it had the stink of them wanting it more and there biggest game of the season there cup final feel, if there was a time and place to play us at the moment then united could not have picked a better time, with the injury hit city squad and the players knowing the title for this season has gone long before the derby kicked off, also add all the eggs in the champions league basket this season then it was coming

lets call it right here its could have been a lot worse ? it could have been 5 or 6 for them if not for ederson 3 major saves before they score from the spot, am not even talking about VAR anymore because what is the point and we all know whats going on and can do nothing about it ??

the idiots in the corner should be banned for life and united will milk it for all its worth, why give them something to rubbish our name again, when one idiot does something like this the whole club takes the blame but this was a group of idiots and a racist and the book should be thrown at all of them

Hope I'm wrong but cant see Pep staying after this season
He doesnt look interested at times neither do a lot of the team currently.

I know no team will win every game. Did VAR affect the Norwich, Wolves, Utd defeats and Newc draw?No they didn't. Our performances did. There's nothing wrong in admitting our faults because the players and staff will be doing exactly the same. We are below par and that is obvious.

But champions grind out results. We would clearly be a lot better off were we to have put together finer performances, but having said that, how do you translate a better performance into points. You can be the better team and still lose, you can have greater possession, more shots on target, give teams a statistical battering but you accept that as part of the game. It's the nature of the sport. But when we see how VAR is applied there cannot be a clearer example of sporting theft for some teams or sporting largesse for others - clear, obvious, and, I would suggest, quite deliberate in seeking a specific outcome.

We massively miss the leadership qualities and passion of the likes of Vinnie and Zabba. They would not have stood for that abject, pathetic, spineless display yesterday.
tbf I watched a few pathetic displays that included vinnie and zabba .imo were fucked from the last two years intensity plus injuries and teams sussing our achilles heel of quick counter attacks

Can't agree that we've been poor all season because, if that were the case, we'd be nowhere near top four and already qualified for the CL knock-out stage. It just doesn't square. What is clear is that since the beginning of November there's been a terrible decline in the team's performances.
Two or three remarks, though. Not bringing on Foden from about minute 60, when it was crystal clear that neither Merlin nor Kev had been functioning from the beginning of the match, is simply incomprehensible. Bringing him on right at the end is simply an insult. What on earth is Pep thinking? What must the lad be thinking?
Our inability to vary our tactics is worrying. Teams have got us sussed. The pretty passing in an arc from side to side outside their box, waiting for a gap to appear which simply did not appear, was repeated over and over in the most sterile way. One thing we're barely doing, which we executed well during Pep's first season, and brilliantly during the Centurions season: the overlap on both touchlines, and the angled cut-back along the ground right into the opposition box. Walker did it once yesterday in the first half, it didn't get through, but it was beautiful to see. Sane's out, so it's not really an option on the other side (it's unfair to ask either Angeliño or Zin to do it, they just don't have the pace, and in Mendy's case both his pace and confidence are shot). But Pep must have told Walker not to do it, presumably because he doesn't have the legs to get back any more. Whatever it is, we're missing it, direly, as a way of mixing it up, and alternative to the probing through the middle, which absolutely was not working yesterday. High crosses: forget them. They are meat and drink to the opposition, and that is true of virtually everyone we play. Laporte scored the crucial goal at Brighton in the final game last season. Otamendi, yesterday. Two central defenders. That tells you everything you need to know.
And now, something else. A friend I met in the car park afterwards said something that I have to hold my hands up to. We as supporters are really not great. If things are going our way, it's all fine and dandy. It's normal that things should have gone flat after United's second. But I expected us to give the team more in the second half. Even in the south stand, nothing much was happening. A bloke in my row left at half time! I mean, what the actual? Another bloke in my row - a good blue, who I know and like - left fully twenty minutes before the end. Now it's not for me to police other fans' behaviour, but it leaves me very puzzled indeed. I don't care about other club's fans, that's neither here nor there for me. We criticize the players – legitimate – we criticise the manager – legitimate – we might take a good long look at ourselves sometimes. Are we becoming entitled? I hope not.
Oh and one more thing. Two seasons ago, we accumulated a never before seen 100 points, and won two trophies. Last season, we achieved a never before seen domestic treble. These are things I never expected to see, even after the takeover. It is right that we as fans should not forget too quickly. But for any truly great team and manager, these things should be ancient history. Only the current season counts. Only the next match is real. Otherwise, you're already sliding towards a mindset where you've put your slippers on, you've lit your pipe, and you're sitting by the fire reminiscing. I'm a grandfather, but I don't fucking want that! Because there's only one stop after that one...
Yesterday hurts, and will carry on hurting for days, like a burn, but the rags are essentially an irrelevance. Our title challenge is over. The season isn't even half over, and there are trophies to be won. Be critical – that's our prerogative – but let's get behind the fucking team on match days! Otherwise, I mean really, what's the point?
Well said. Why I love the going up and going down chant. Reminds us where we were oh but a blink of an eye ago.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.