Change VAR or.................

You either adopt a subjective approach and apply the test "Would you expect a competent official to have spotted this?" or one that says if it's not obvious that the onfield call was wrong within a couple viewings/20 seconds then the call stands.

Or you have a ' clear daylight' test that involves all the attacker's body being in front of the second last defender.
Would that solve the problem? One man’s obvious is another man’s dubious. Needs to be a matter of fact for this to work, and that’s exactly how it’s working now. Same rule for everybody.

It’s not a faceless arbiter though is it. It’s just another of the Pigmol puppets that regularly shaft us in full sight on the field. Var would be absolutely fine. It’s the incompetent/corrupt twats laughingly termed elite referees that need binned.

Sat there yesterday it certainly looked faceless bud, I agree with your corrupt assessment though.

Would that solve the problem? One man’s obvious is another man’s dubious. Needs to be a matter of fact for this to work, and that’s exactly how it’s working now. Same rule for everybody.
If you can't see it wtihout drawing those stupid lines then, to me, it's not obvious. But also the Offside Law itself needs a long, hard look. By tinkering with it, they've turned it into a complete nonsense. They need to go back to first principles and revisit the whole thing.

Take our first game this season at West Ham. There was the farce of Sterling's armpit. Was that "gaining an unfair advantage"? No it wasn't. Then there was the incident where he was deemed to be just onside then crossed for Jesus to score. Throughout that phase of play, Jesus was stood well in an offside position, in front of the West Ham defence. Yet, despite not moving, he was deemed to be onside when the ball was played to him. Was that "gaining an unfair advantage"? Yes it was but the law doesn't see it that way. Similarly, there was an offside call when David Silva was stood in an offside position as the ball was played but was moving back and picked up the ball with 3 West Ham defenders behind him. Was that "gaining an unfair advantage"? I'd argue it wasn't but under the letter of the law it was offside.

And Harwood-Bellis's goal yesterday was another case in point. That shot from Stones was going in whether he touches it or not and the deflection it took from H-B made absolutely no difference to the outcome. Yet it might have been disallowed if the last Port Vale defender had been a foot further forward. If he's been offside and deflected it past the last defender or the keeper on the line, then fair enough. But that wasn't the case so in my opinion we need to start thinking about subjectivity when we think about offside.

Unless you happen to be one of the two PL sides without the big screens? Or the PL side that the powers that be want to win the PL this year to stop us doing a treble?

Just saying like............................

I remember being at a fans forum back when Stuart Pearce was manager and even back then somebody asked him what he thought about video technology being introduced one day, at that point most of the media and fans in general were all crying out for it but he was massively against it, basically said it would destroy the game for all the reasons we're seeing right now. He may have been a shit manager but he spoke a lot of sense back then.

I am not one of these people who thinks we need to improve VAR, I just want rid of it altogether. Infact I'm almost glad its had so much controversy because at least it's meant most football fans agree with me. I was against it from the very beginning. Yes it was frustrating in the past when you had a decision go against you, but it was much more preferable to this. There are no fewer wrong decisions in games now than there were before and its pissing fans off a lot more because it removes the element of human error/benefit of the doubt from the referee. They're looking at every decision twice and still getting them wrong.

And don't even get me started on not celebrating goals. The missus thinks I'm not arsed when City score anymore.

Unless you happen to be one of the two PL sides without the big screens? Or the PL side that the powers that be want to win the PL this year to stop us doing a treble?

Sorry mate, the conspiracy stuff leaves me cold. I understand many don’t like VAR, and I also can appreciate why this is, but the fact is that VAR makes corruption/cheating by officials far more difficult. Pre VAR an official could raise his flag and a perfectly good goal could be chalked off and within 10 seconds everyone in the stadium would know the official had made a mistake but there was bugger all that could be done about it. Also penalty decisions and red cards. Now we have a safety net and I like VAR for this reason. There needs to be more work done to improve the experience for match going fans, but I’m sure that will come. I get that mine is a minority opinion, but I’m going to voice it anyway to give this thread some balance.

run the risk of alienating countless long standing, long suffering, money paying, match attending fans like myself, to the point where i am seriously contemplating not renewing my seasoncard, after 50 years of supporting City, over 20 years as a seasoncard holder spread over 2 spells from the 70's and again since 2005, all from about 140 miles away. Football used to be something you could only really enjoy watching live (apart from playing) then with the advent of television it became a documentary to enjoy, initially as a recorded programme, and then a live documentary. Now it has become a made for television soap opera or drama , purely for the armchair fan and **** the poor money payer at the ground. If anyone can tell me why our last 3 games had the ridiculous kick off times they did, when not for live tv broadcasting, i would be interested to know.

Any, i am tempted to say yesterday's VAR charade was one more nail in football's coffin. Let me start by saying, we all know and (reluctantly) accept that all goals go to VAR. City's third goal yesterday unfolded right in front of me in 101, the lino (fresh from the Specsavers new year sale) watched the move develop, saw nothing wrong, didn't flag, and eventually watched the ball end up in the Vale net, and was happy it was a goal. Mason, from the edge of the penalty are, looking straight at the goal, from very close to where the goal scoring shot was taken, immediately blew his whistle, and raised his arm to indicate he was disallowing the goal, and was awarding a free kick to Vale, (bearing in mind that VAR is going to check this and all goals). A few seconds after Mason had disallowed the "goal" lino sticks his flag up, and indicates offside as if to vindicate Mason's decision. There then followed the usual 2 to 3 minutes to check the bleeding "clear and obvious" and unfortunately they could not find any reason to disallow the goal. Mason slowly trudged back to the centre circle, and petulantly/ disgustedly threw the ball to the floor like a spoilt sulking child, as if to say "what more could i do"

Others have posted this or similar many times, but i honestly can't remember the last time i celebrated a City goal. The main purpose of football, scoring goals, and celebrating that success has been killed, it would appear for ever. I'll happily acknowledge that i am probably no different from many other City supporters, but a typical home game 1/19th of my seasoncard, plus £20 fuel, (3 in the car), plus min £20 food and drink, means it is costing me £100 per home game, and i am simply not enjoying it like i used to. It has nothing to do with being less (just this season) successful, don't forget i was here for for Stuart Pearce and Beanie, and not seeing a City goal at home from Jan 1st to the end of the season, and i have watched City through thin and thinner, and many's the time, i have seen us snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but this is different, I FEEL CHEATED. I'VE BEEN ROBBED.If i do stop coming, i won't stop supporting City, but sadly it makes more sense to stay at home, watch it on TV, and swear at the television (at least you'd know what is going on).Not to mention a lot cheaper, and less frustrating.

I believe justice has to be seen to be believed, and the Court of VAR sits in secret, passes judgement, and we are expected to pay the fine. I can't think of a single reason why football doesn't follow rugby's lead. With ALL VAR reviews, the video they are reviewing should be played at the same time on the large screen, and the audio between referee and VAR should also be broadcast live. If they had nothing to hide ..........................???

With regards to offside, as others have posted previously, the current technology of 50 frames per second, means that the average moving player will move 16cm, from one single frame to the next. It is simply not accurate to call offsides of less than 50cm, for an armpit, a toe or a heel , but more to the point, i would question the morality of such, i personally don't ever think there has been a desire to forensically attempt to call offside to such a fine margin. Similarly we have fallen foul of VAR a couple of times with players coming back from an offside position (Mahrez offside , Foden scores v Everton), and i also believe Spurs in Champions League. I understand if you are onside when the ball is played, (if you time your run right), you could well be a couple of yards offside, by the time the ball reaches you, - but that is ok!! However if you are offside, when the ball is played, but are coming back towards your own goal, and by the time the ball reaches you, you are in an onside position, to me the play should have been deemed reset, no way, are you seeking to gain an advantage, you should not be called offside.

Something needs to be done, before it is too late!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep. Seriously considering binning my season card next time. Just not enjoying going because the joy and spontaneity of the game has gone.

I decided vs Sheff U to stop being so miserable so thought fuck it, just try to enjoy the game. I joined in with songs again and celebrated joyously when Foden scored... That lasted, what was it, 12 minutes?

I also didn't bother going yesterday.

The VAR officials don't use the big screens though, so it wouldn't matter whether all, some or none of the grounds had them

The VAR officials don't use the big screens though, so it wouldn't matter whether all, some or none of the grounds had them

But they do to show us on the big screen that a VAR decision is being made/looked at. The fact that not every PL ground has VAR is, once again, moving the goalposts (pun intended) in their favour. It should be one rule for every PL team not just for some. The VAR machine thing sits in front of where I am and the number of times the guy gets up talks into his walked talkie then walks round and lifts the lid up on the case is amazing. Unless it’s part of his exercise routine for the day. :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.