1917 film

A war film probably will look like a war film. What you expecting Laser guns ;-)

Well Star Wars certainly fit that bill.

What I mean is it didn’t stand out and the scenes on the advert looked as though they’d been shot as every film before it.

Am I the only one who thought it looked shit?

I will go and see it purely because of the reviews but I thought the advert looked like every war film ever.

I also hated the trailer. Soldiers leaping out of trenches and running onto grass.
However, when you actually see the film you get the context. The long established static lines, which the two protagonists advance through during much of the of the film show the realism (or what I have always considered it to have been) of trench warfare. The more forward lines in the later part of the film, which have been recently dug due to the Germans' resetting of their defensive line, allowed me to change my view of the trailer's authenticity.

I also hated the trailer. Soldiers leaping out of trenches and running onto grass.
However, when you actually see the film you get the context. The long established static lines, which the two protagonists advance through during much of the of the film show the realism (or what I have always considered it to have been) of trench warfare. The more forward lines in the later part of the film, which have been recently dug due to the Germans' resetting of their defensive line, allowed me to change my view of the trailer's authenticity.

That’s fair enough and really good post.

I’ll go and see it.

I'm going to watch this today - 12noon, Rochdale Odeon. The rest of yer can fuck off and watch it somewhere else!

The Odeon used to be at the top of Drake street and as kids we abandoned razors for a full month to blag our way in to see the Exorcist. William never had the budget the luvie directors have today or that CGI and the way they made Linda Blair's head spin and projectile vomit was a defining moment in the horror film genre and I still have disturbed sleep patterns to this day.

The Odeon used to be at the top of Drake street and as kids we abandoned razors for a full month to blag our way in to see the Exorcist. William never had the budget the luvie directors have today or that CGI and the way they made Linda Blair's head spin and projectile vomit was a defining moment in the horror film genre and I still have disturbed sleep patterns to this day.

Ah, the old Rialto:

Rialto Cinema Rochdale. The Rialto cinema built by R & T Howarth Ltd. and opened by Gracie Fields on 27th August 1928. One of the eleven cinemas serving Rochdale. It was bought by the Rank organisation in the 1950s and renamed The Odeon, and converted into a Bingo hall in 1979. It was badly damaged by fire in February 1981 and demolished in April 1981.

Just back from seeing it.
First hour up to the plane crash is outstanding gripping cinema.
The single shot technique adds to the tension.
But after the plane crash I thought it got a bit meh. Too much daft storyline for me until the protagonist found the regiment.
Nevertheless well worth going to see.

Gonna watch it next week. Other than All Quiet on the Western Front in 1930, I don't think I can name a genuinely classic WW1 film that actually covers the European part of the conflict. Hell I'd struggle to name a classic WW1 film since Lawrence of Arabia.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.