1917 film

Must have been an experience all the same.

Not sure if I will get to see film at a cinema (suspect I'm only one in family keen to see it) but whenever I do see it, I'll keep a look out.

He loved it. Said the attention to detail was incredible and that Mendes was down in the trench with them directing them all as to who went where, how they should stand etc etc. I'll bore you with the details at a game some time...…….

Just back from seeing it.
First hour up to the plane crash is outstanding gripping cinema.
The single shot technique adds to the tension.
But after the plane crash I thought it got a bit meh. Too much daft storyline for me until the protagonist found the regiment.
Nevertheless well worth going to see.

Just seen it tonight.
I agree with pretty much everything you’ve just said.
I felt the main character was a big wooden tbh.
Regarding the plane crash a woman in front of us ducked & screamed when it came towards us lol

He loved it. Said the attention to detail was incredible and that Mendes was down in the trench with them directing them all as to who went where, how they should stand etc etc. I'll bore you with the details at a game some time...…….

Cool. I'm sure you won't bore me: when I was much younger I used to read several film magazines a month including some that went into great detail on special FX...

Saw it last night, and enjoyed it. Unlike a few on here I found the scenes after the plane crash some of the best in the film. Particularly the dream-like burning town sequence. Generally thought the visuals were incredible and the one-take style not too distracting even if at times it did feel like you were watching someone playing a videogame. Thought the acting of the younger guy was ropey and the dialogue a bit clichéd. Still, thoroughly recommend it and you should see it on the big screen. 8/10 from me.

For anyone who enjoyed/was curious about the shooting of the film -

Apparently this shot took 2 days to film as it's about 8 minutes long, and he wasn't supposed to run into anyone but it basically proved impossible to avoid all the extras so in the end they just accepted it would happen and carried on.

Last edited:
There's a DVD screener out now but as has been said see it on a big screen if you can. It's still on the IMAX screen in the Printworks until next Thursday and possibly into February.

Went to watch it on Wednesday. Like others on here, I found the bit prior to the plane crash to be more enthralling but overall thought it was an outstanding film. Definitely recommend going to see at the cinema if possible.

Saw it yesterday.One hour of really disturbing stuff showing the futility of war and the awful conditions in the trenches,followed by an hour of not-so-good.
Great plane crash but some pretty wooden acting.No regrets about seeing it,but didn't grip me on the same level as Saving Private Ryan for example.

I don't know who won that war, so don't give away the result and spoil it for me. We only did up to the Plantagenets at school.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.