Crystal Palace (H) - Post Match

As for the VAR nonsense, we would have been livid if the ball had struck our defender and a penalty had been awarded. A

I don't agree. Reading the rule as it stands, I can see how the referee gave it as a penalty, and turned around the other way, I would of been frustrated with it, but accepting it too. Likewise, I could see how one might wave it away and not give it as a penalty - again I think there is reasonable evidence to support that. What I can't see is how VAR demonstrated there to be a 'clear and obvious error', given the way the handball rule is currently drafted.

I think plenty of people haven't actually looked that closely at the rule as it now stands - and go back to what they think on the basis of the old rule, which was very different. There is two elements to the rule now - the part about foot/body etc to hand at close range, but also the element about the body not being 'unnaturally bigger'. I can see both sides in regards to the second aspect.

Likewise, with the Zaha decision earlier in the game, I think both a penalty and a non-penalty call could be argued to be reasonable. It would have been a very soft penalty for mine had it been given, and I think VAR got it right in terms of there not being a clear and obvious error. But I think there would have been enough in it, had the referee pointed the spot to say it wasn't a clear and obvious error.

The problems with VAR stem with the shitty way it has been implemented.

Di you read what I posted properly and, if you did, did you understand what I was saying? I suspect that the answer to the first is no. People say there's no humour on here any more but it's also getting harder to have an intelligent discussion.

Yes I read it a couple of times. You said the board may have a difficult decision to make. You also said things might be going stale.

Nothing to do with a lack of humour or intellectual prowess on the board, I just find the fact you’re even raising the question of Guardiola pretty bizarre.

All opinions though. Have a good Sunday.

I don't agree. Reading the rule as it stands, I can see how the referee gave it as a penalty, and turned around the other way, I would of been frustrated with it, but accepting it too. Likewise, I could see how one might wave it away and not give it as a penalty - again I think there is reasonable evidence to support that. What I can't see is how VAR demonstrated there to be a 'clear and obvious error', given the way the handball rule is currently drafted.

I think plenty of people haven't actually looked that closely at the rule as it now stands - and go back to what they think on the basis of the old rule, which was very different. There is two elements to the rule now - the part about foot/body etc to hand at close range, but also the element about the body not being 'unnaturally bigger'. I can see both sides in regards to the second aspect.

Likewise, with the Zaha decision earlier in the game, I think both a penalty and a non-penalty call could be argued to be reasonable. It would have been a very soft penalty for mine had it been given, and I think VAR got it right in terms of there not being a clear and obvious error.

The problems with VAR stem with the shitty way it has been implemented.
The problem with VAR comes down to the 2-3 time delay for a decision that is still subjective.

People expected a technological solution not a 2nd opinion.

just because we won’t win the league doesn’t mean we’ve gone stale!

We’re 2nd in the league, on the verge of Wembley, still in FA Cup and topped our CL group with a game to come against Real Madrid.

But you think we should consider replacing the manager because we won’t win the league for the third year on the bounce.

Astonishing level of disrespect towards Guardiola for what he has achieved here - but more importantly a huge disrespect towards him for thinking he won’t continue to be successful with city.
It seems to me that Pep is trying to get everyone in form for that Real Madrid game. Hence all the changing of systems and personnel. He knows, and has for some time, we are not good enough, because of issues with injures to key players and losing our captain, who we should have replaced but where do you get another Vinny for below 100 million. We are now getting our players back and hopefully he can put out the right team against Real to win the tie. Just because we are not making a great fist of our title challenge, you can’t win every year, does it mean Pep isn’t the man. If unshited would have been knee jerk every time they had a poorish season, Fergie would gone way before his 25 years were up. I think Pep deserves our backing as fans, keep the faith.

Go on then, what's his blind spot?
Used to be no plan B. Now he’s changing it up too much.
Then it was his teams can’t defend before having two seasons where we had the best defensive record.
Now it’s something about us not being any good when players XYZ play together...
There will always be perceived blind spots, but basically it ends up being a case of some bloke on a forum thinking they know better than the best in the world.

The problem with VAR comes down to the 2-3 time delay for a decision that is still subjective.

People expected a technological solution not a 2nd opinion.

As I said, that ain't a problem with the VAR concept, that's a problem with how its been implemented.

Make the referee on the park the final decision maker for all bar the blatantly obviously wrong decisions (that can be easily fixed) + offsides, and force them to use VAR to watch replays, then assess whether they will maintain the original decision, or change it. But most importantly, make them transparently justify their decisions in a consistent manner. Would solve a whole swathe of the issues with VAR almost immediately, if as you say, the '2nd opinion' is removed from all but an advisory role (I.e. in the ear piece saying you need to take another look at this one).

Go on then, what's his blind spot?
Defensively his philosophy of dominating possession high up the pitch leaves us exposed on numerous occasions. Teams score against regularly from limited attempts on goal. Why because they get gilt edged chances.

What I can't understand is where this half-arsed approach to some games comes from. It was there already agains Brighton when we pressed half-heartedly which put pressure on the defenders and Laporte got injured. Then we were half-arsed against Norwich...Already from the pace of the first passes I can tell whether the necessary concentration to move the ball quickly is there or not.

Guess the players haven't been mentally up for another battle in the league and have decided for themselves that the CL is the priority this season, especially after seeing Liverpool players getting much more recognition than our players.

If this is the case we won't be lethargic in the CL. But if you are not totally concentrated in the league you might find it hard to switch to electric football in the CL. I hope that all the pain in the league will help us perform better in the CL.
We still show the ability to be really up for it in certain games, particularly if we get an early break. Villa was an example. First half v rags was another. With Liverpool’s lead being pretty well unassailable, I can see why we will now prioritise CL. The snag is that any game can turn in a minute on one lapse or piece of bad luck. If it’s a cup game, you’re then out on your arse.

Defensively his philosophy of dominating possession high up the pitch leaves us exposed on numerous occasions. Teams score against regularly from limited attempts on goal. Why because they get gilt edged chances.
That’s not a blind spot. It’s his game, basically a risk/reward strategy that requires us to not make mistakes in possession high up the pitch.
Sometimes it doesn’t work.
He won’t be changing it anytime soon seeing as it’s a philosophy that has made him one of the most successful managers in history.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.