Single malt whisky

Although Caol Ila and Bruichladdich are really nice, and very mildly peated.

If you like Caol Ila then save yourself some money and just get yourself a bottle of Glen Marnoch - Aldi’s own make islay whisky for 20 quid.

It’s Caol Ila in a different bottle.

Th Bunnahabhain isn’t peated at all other than the Toiteach. The distillery is in a stunning location too on the sound between Islay and Jura. Magical place.
True. I’ve done all the Islay distilleries except Bowmore, great weekend. I’d go back there in a flash.

True. I’ve done all the Islay distilleries except Bowmore, great weekend. I’d go back there in a flash.

I’ve been a few times now and done all the distilleries - a new one has just opened called Ardnahoe which is just up from Bunnahabhain. Cracking distillery to visit if you ever go back.

I’ve been a few times now and done all the distilleries - a new one has just opened called Ardnahoe which is just up from Bunnahabhain. Cracking distillery to visit if you ever go back.
Cheers, I’ve not heard of that one. Time for some research :)

Just made an impulse buy from Asda. A bottle of Tamnavulin single malt. £20. £12 off. No idea what to expect being a novice with single malts and Whisky in general. This one is from Speyside.

let us know once you've tried it[/QUOTE]

If you like Caol Ila then save yourself some money and just get yourself a bottle of Glen Marnoch - Aldi’s own make islay whisky for 20 quid.

It’s Caol Ila in a different bottle.

Interesting. How do you know btw? i've tried the Glen Marnoch 'highland' or 'speyside' not sure what it was called. Someone claimed it was a Glendronach but in a different bottle. Definately wasn't. But it was nice, very nice for the price. Someone else claimed it was a Dalmore, which it could be.

interesting though, wonder who starts the claim, and how actually one would find out.

Interesting. How do you know btw? i've tried the Glen Marnoch 'highland' or 'speyside' not sure what it was called. Someone claimed it was a Glendronach but in a different bottle. Definately wasn't. But it was nice, very nice for the price. Someone else claimed it was a Dalmore, which it could be.

interesting though, wonder who starts the claim, and how actually one would find out.

very few distilleries up there would have the capacity to produce the volumes mate. Caol Ila fits the bill in that respect because it’s on an industrial scale producing malts for blends like Johnnie Walker.

Then there’s the fact that in my opinion it looks and tastes like Caol Ila.

So as I already had a strong suspicion it was Caol Ila, last time I was up there I asked each distillery guide - they said they couldn’t say - but then confirmed it in a nudge/wink kind of way.

very few distilleries up there would have the capacity to produce the volumes mate. Caol Ila fits the bill in that respect because it’s on an industrial scale producing malts for blends like Johnnie Walker.

Then there’s the fact that in my opinion it looks and tastes like Caol Ila.

So as I already had a strong suspicion it was Caol Ila, last time I was up there I asked each distillery guide - they said they couldn’t say - but then confirmed it in a nudge/wink kind of way.

Thanks. was curious if there was a way of knowing, but that makes sense. will try it at some point. Wonder what is in it for the big name distilleries to sell their product under another name for much cheaper. but a few do, for various supermarket 'own brands'.

Thanks. was curious if there was a way of knowing, but that makes sense. will try it at some point. Wonder what is in it for the big name distilleries to sell their product under another name for much cheaper. but a few do, for various supermarket 'own brands'.

Caol Ila sell their whisky to loads of places mate - as I say I think most of the stuff they produce ends up in Johnnie Walker.

presume it’s all about money - their business model is to produce enormous volumes (and I mean staggering quantities). Smaller distilleries obviously can’t and don’t even try to compete with that business model.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.