Criticism of Pep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never underestimate how much football fans know about the game.

Year after year fans of clubs will be seeing what’s going on in front of their eyes and be calling what the manager is doing wrong. And they are right. The manager is too close to what’s going on, too stubborn to change it or not good enough at his job and they get sacked. The fans complaints were right all along.

Loads and loads of football coaches are inept. They only get their jobs because they were once ex-players and thousands of fans know more about the game and its tactics than loads of these coaches do.

The only reason Charlie from Chorlton isn’t a coach is because he isn’t an ex-pro.
But judging what the ex-pros who are pundits say every week and seeing all the things hundreds of coaches get wrong every year, he knows just as much [and more] about football than you’re giving him credit for.
I'm not sure where you get your facts from..

A few top managers who never played professionally;
Avram grant, Gerald houllier, Roy hodgson, sacchi . And I'm sure there's a few more.

Also sounds like he isn’t sticking around much longer, “in my final period here”.

Time will tell (and how the rest of this season pans out, all a bit edgey just now). He has a year and a half left on his contract, he tends to only focus on the next game. Wouldnt expect him to be commenting on 2025 myself. He might be stressing a bit of 'last chance to win it' feeling to the players, or he could be feeling what time is left is enough for him. To me, it doesn't really matter, we still have a season to get on with, trophies and games to win.

The issue is that most in the media don’t really understand what they’re watching. As an example, I see it in their post match write ups all the time where they blame a defender when the actual cause of the goal was a midfielder not pressing in the right way. They’ve never really tried to understand the way Guardiola’s football actually works.
They would of tried to understand him if he’d had been Liverpool’s manager and not ours.

I was hounded down on here recently for suggesting that Pep would have a question mark against his name if he doesn't deliver a CL, but he has admitted that himself..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51344995
Don’t you think that is media driven line though, a stick to beat City and Pep with another excuse to ignore his brilliant record at City , ignore the centurion season and ignore the treble winning season.’ You’ve not won the Champions League with City so you can’t be a great manager ‘it’s bollocks. Holland never won the World Cup but that side from the 70’s is lauded as one off the best, total football they say. This is never said about us, it’s always to be a great side you have to win the League multiple times, goalpost moving all the time. Pep and City will never be afforded the praise we deserve. Not always does the best team win the Champions League or the World Cup.

Last edited:
I was hounded down on here recently for suggesting that Pep would have a question mark against his name if he doesn't deliver a CL, but he has admitted that himself..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51344995

It’s true. Whether Pep was tongue in cheek or serious, everyone knows that’s the big one.

Doesn’t make him a failure, of course, but it’s an omission.

And the same posters will be on your case for saying it.

It’s true. Whether Pep was tongue in cheek or serious, everyone knows that’s the big one.

Doesn’t make him a failure, of course, but it’s an omission.

And the same posters will be on your case for saying it.

Yes its difficult to argue with, that not winning the Champions League will have leave a question mark about the level of success he has achieved.

It will not have an impact on the mind of fans as were just grateful for the football and success we have had, but for an outsider looking in, across Europe, the benchmark is the Champions League and against the best sides in europe, we have fallen short (and suffered bad luck) in the most prestigious competition.

I really hope we manage to win it, this year or next just, just so this side can be framed as one of the greatest in history as Pep and players like Aguero, Silva, KDB deserve it.

Never underestimate how much football fans know about the game.

Year after year fans of clubs will be seeing what’s going on in front of their eyes and be calling what the manager is doing wrong. And they are right. The manager is too close to what’s going on, too stubborn to change it or not good enough at his job and they get sacked. The fans complaints were right all along.

Loads and loads of football coaches are inept. They only get their jobs because they were once ex-players and thousands of fans know more about the game and its tactics than loads of these coaches do.

The only reason Charlie from Chorlton isn’t a coach is because he isn’t an ex-pro. But judging what the ex-pros who are pundits say every week and seeing all the things hundreds of coaches get wrong every year, he knows just as much [and more] about football than you’re giving him credit for.

That's an extreme opinion.

Ex-pros might be hired just because they were good players, but if they aren't good at managing a team, and managing a team well includes many many things, selections and tactics being the tip of the iceberg, then they won't get many chances to prove themselves. Scholes, G. Neville, Giggs, etc. are not managing at any (good) club, it's the same with 90% of the former great players. Kompany is a highly intelligent pro, has learned 3 years from one of the greatest managers in history, and has had little success managing Anderlecht this season.

I'd be absolutely astounded if there was a single City fan who had 50% of Pep's understanding of the game and 20% of his coaching/managing ability. There is a huge gap in his and your average Joe's knowledge of football.

Last edited:
I will be amazed if he's our manager when we kick off the new season next August , he's not the same enthusiastic figure on the touchline that we've seen these last couple of seasons and always looks stressed out before any press conference starts. This season has definitely got to him and I'm not sure he would relish another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.