Var debate 2019/20

Zinchenko didn’t get the second yellow because he pushed Winks over specifically. He got the second yellow for deliberately preventing a counter attack . No pretence, even, to play the ball. It has been the case for donkey’s years that players will always get a yellow card in such circumstances.

As to the second penalty claim, I can only think that the VAR ref thought, like me, that there was contact but that Sterling was already going down long before the contact. So, at the very least, there was no clear and obvious error on Dean’s part.

In the first half yesterday, two Spurs players committed similar tactical fouls, neither was booked. One then went on to bring down Aguero in the box for the belatedly given penalty, a tackle which, if the referee had had the opportunity to view it again, might have merited a card, too.

Yes, Lloris was off his line. Penalty should definitely have been retaken. I’ve seen some say that VAR can’t intervene in that instance. But I’m pretty sure that it did during the Nations Cup?

I do have to ask you, though, why you suggest that Lloris might have been sent off. Yes, there was contact but, IMO, Sterling was already going down long before any contact.

He wasn’t going down, he was stretching for the ball which he had got his foot to before Lloris brings him down.
It was an obvious pen.

I don't understand this about VAR not being used for keeper movements? When it clearly states on the PL own website that it is to be used for goal keeper movements. Are you saying this is wrong? If this is true why is it still on their website.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1297433

I'm saying that a statement was issued that it wasn't being used for keeper movements.
I can't answer why the website says what it does. Some sources:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48703852
From the Sun (Oct 2019):
Will VAR rule on handballs and goalkeepers at penalties in Premier League games?
The Premier League are interpreting the laws of the game differently to the way matches were reffed in the Champions League and at the Women's World Cup.
For handballs, the PGMOL bar is set higher for an official to award a penalty than we saw in Europe and at the World Cup. VAR can only intervene in cases of clear and obvious error, which should result in less interference.
With goal-line technology in place, at penalties the only job of the assistant referee on pitch is to spot if a goalkeeper comes off the line before the spot-kick has been taken.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...alkeeper-comes-off-line-next-season-ffd6h0qbq
Video assistant referees in the Premier League next season will not rule on the goalkeeper’s position at penalties with those decisions being left to the judgment of on-field officials, it can be revealed.

VARs will be used in England’s top flight for the first time from August but, in presentations to clubs, managers and players, referees chiefs have said that the video officials will not be involved in decisions on the goalkeeper’s position at spot-kicks.

Replays showed that Alexander did not have a foot on the line when the penalty was taken
FIFATV
The International FA Board has responded by saying its rules on VAR do not allow for the system to be implemented in this way but it is understood that the Premier League will push its case hard in talks with the game’s law-making body.

I'm saying that a statement was issued that it wasn't being used for keeper movements.
I can't answer why the website says what it does. Some sources:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48703852
From the Sun (Oct 2019):
Will VAR rule on handballs and goalkeepers at penalties in Premier League games?
The Premier League are interpreting the laws of the game differently to the way matches were reffed in the Champions League and at the Women's World Cup.
For handballs, the PGMOL bar is set higher for an official to award a penalty than we saw in Europe and at the World Cup. VAR can only intervene in cases of clear and obvious error, which should result in less interference.
With goal-line technology in place, at penalties the only job of the assistant referee on pitch is to spot if a goalkeeper comes off the line before the spot-kick has been taken.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...alkeeper-comes-off-line-next-season-ffd6h0qbq
Video assistant referees in the Premier League next season will not rule on the goalkeeper’s position at penalties with those decisions being left to the judgment of on-field officials, it can be revealed.

VARs will be used in England’s top flight for the first time from August but, in presentations to clubs, managers and players, referees chiefs have said that the video officials will not be involved in decisions on the goalkeeper’s position at spot-kicks.

Replays showed that Alexander did not have a foot on the line when the penalty was taken
FIFATV
The International FA Board has responded by saying its rules on VAR do not allow for the system to be implemented in this way but it is understood that the Premier League will push its case hard in talks with the game’s law-making body.
Thanks for the detailed response. It would seem to be the usual **** up by the governing body the.

While we were waiting for VAR yesterday what would have happened if either us or spurs would have scored whilst they were making their decision?

While we were waiting for VAR yesterday what would have happened if either us or spurs would have scored whilst they were making their decision?

Officially - Spurs scoring would have been disallowed in favour of the penalty.
I would guess that a City goal would have stood, but who knows!

Conspiracy theorist - <insert your own answer here>

The ball staying in play for the two minutes before Dean blew is unusual, which is why it looked strange.

Officially - Spurs scoring would have been disallowed in favour of the penalty.
I would guess that a City goal would have stood, but who knows!

Conspiracy theorist - <insert your own answer here>

The ball staying in play for the two minutes before Dean blew is unusual, which is why it looked strange.

The cynic in me just saw Dean trying to cheat and hoping VAR would help him out. I'm probably wrong but that's how I saw it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.