West Ham match postponed - confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, we might hear something in the coming days but wouldn't like to bet on it. They have known the Arsenal game re arranging for two week's now as well and we have heard nothing on that either.
If they can cancel it with five and a quarter hours to go before the kick off, they can let us know in the same time frame.

Seems fair to me. ;-)

Think there were two games against Ipswich that got postponed. The one you’re talking about was in 2000, but think there was one around 1993/4 when we were 2-0 up. Vonk was playing as a centre forward and scored. Can remember it vividly.

Was that the one that we won 3 nil in a replay with an obscure scandi getting a hat trick?

I also have very vivid memories of the game that was called of. Something about Vonk up front and the horrendous rain / threat of it being called off that night gave it a comedy edge. The atmosphere in the kippax was class we all knew it was coming - typical city that we were completely on top but the ball would splash dead in a puddle every couple of minutes and we'd all look to the ref.

Anybody on here still claiming yesterday's decision to postpone the game was justified is simply wrong. When the official announcement was made at 11.15 am (after many non-local fans were already on their way) the weather radar showed that the worst of the storm had already passed through Manchester. Met Office predictions that travelling conditions would improve rapidly during the afternoon were proved entirely accurate. No problems with the pitch or the stadium were reported with everything set fair for kick off. Pep certainly took full advantage by jetting off to Munich. Also the idea that a surprise ten minute thundershower at 4.35pm would have caused abandonment anyway is just laughable.

We were all set to leave Carlisle on time but whether or not we would have got to Manchester is another question. Conditions were clear up here but horrendous further down-country into North Yorkshire / Lancashire and our coach operator wasn't confident either. That was the issue - people were being asked by the authorities not to travel unless essential and I guess that swung it. Can't really blame City for that when lives could be at risk.

Don't want to read the whole thread - is there any strong feelings by forum members regarding yesterdays game being postponed?
Not really.

After @Marvin concluded that it was entirely reasonable for City to postpone the match, most responses were to either agree with or congratulate him on his assessment.

I’ve not seen so many pages conveying a general consensus and camaraderie on Bluemoon since the ‘Muffin or Barm — We Can All Agree Either Are Acceptable’ thread.

Not really.

After @Marvin concluded that it was entirely reasonable for City to postpone the match, most responses were to either agree with or congratulate him on his assessment.

I’ve not seen so many pages conveying a general consensus and camaraderie on Bluemoon since the ‘Muffin or Barm — We Can All Agree Either Are Acceptable’ thread.
lol - over to @Marvin for confirmation of that assessment of his conclusion

We were all set to leave Carlisle on time but whether or not we would have got to Manchester is another question. Conditions were clear up here but horrendous further down-country into North Yorkshire / Lancashire and our coach operator wasn't confident either. That was the issue - people were being asked by the authorities not to travel unless essential and I guess that swung it. Can't really blame City for that when lives could be at risk.
Understandable. The Met office data and forecasts were very precise and accurate whilst the warnings were imprecise time-wise. They should look to tighten them for future so that sporting organisations like City can make better informed decisions. The bad weather passed with the storm front over Manchester at midday and that is now a matter of record.

Those who said the game would have been playable at 4.30pm were proven to be correct and for those traveling long distances I am sure they could work out for themselves whether it was safe to travel.
The only way to deem it safe to travel was to listen to the authorities who said it wasn't. The storm, whilst short and not very strong, was extremely widespread causing difficulties all around Manchester and the country. I'm sure the emergency services would have wanted congestion, road fatalities/injuries and stranded members of the public on top of everything else. Yes the game could have gone ahead but would have had to have been behind closed doors.

Comparing it to the Sheff U game is not quite the same. The opposition fans would have been much closer to the ground when the storm was due to hit (later in the day in Sheffield) plus they had some flexibility in delaying KO, not the same with ours, and traveling fans had more time to get back home.

Right decision was made.

lol - over to @Marvin for confirmation of that assessment of his conclusion
yes that summation was a little odd. City made the wrong call but for the right reasons. I do agree with SB though that most of the comments were fine. I read through most last night. A mixture of jokes, insults and the odd really nice comment. Mostly good fun and people making the best of a disappointing day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.