West Ham match postponed - confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that the one that we won 3 nil in a replay with an obscure scandi getting a hat trick?

I also have very vivid memories of the game that was called of. Something about Vonk up front and the horrendous rain / threat of it being called off that night gave it a comedy edge. The atmosphere in the kippax was class we all knew it was coming - typical city that we were completely on top but the ball would splash dead in a puddle every couple of minutes and we'd all look to the ref.

My memory of that game was the Ipswich players celebrating when the ref called it off... I remember one of them (Ian Marshall ?) striding around with his arms above his head in triumph.

If memory serves, we couldn't buy a win at the time,:so it was extra painful to have 2-0 taken away. (Might even have been the season when our consecutive wins were Ipswich away and Ipswich home - we didn't win a game between ... but perhaps my memory's going or I'm confusing seasons ?)

My memory of that game was the Ipswich players celebrating when the ref called it off... I remember one of them (Ian Marshall ?) striding around with his arms above his head in triumph.

If memory serves, we couldn't buy a win at the time,:so it was extra painful to have 2-0 taken away. (Might even have been the season when our consecutive wins were Ipswich away and Ipswich home - we didn't win a game between ... but perhaps my memory's going or I'm confusing seasons ?)

On the basis Vonk was upfront i think we were in a patch where we had few fit strikers and few goals. I'm guessing Quinn was injured or on his way out, pre Rossler era. Was it Peter Reid or Brian Horton in charge?

On a serious note. If we beat Madrid we will have at least two more Champs league games, if we beat Sheff Weds at least one more cup game meaning another league postponement. I saw somewhere that at the moment we only have one free mid week. Anyone know the worst case scenario ? Saturday Tuesday Thursday Sunday matches ?

yes that summation was a little odd. City made the wrong call but for the right reasons. I do agree with SB though that most of the comments were fine. I read through most last night. A mixture of jokes, insults and the odd really nice comment. Mostly good fun and people making the best of a disappointing day.
Fair play to you Marv think I enjoyed this thread more than I would the match.
Loved the way you kept popping up like one of them rabbits at the amusement arcade you twat with a mallet :+)
Not enjoyed a thread so much since the Kdb plane tracking thread, surely this will end up in classics

I quite agree and it was clear from the forecast that the worst of the storm was going to be mid morning to early afternoon.

You may see it as risk-averse but I would counter with what is the game without the fans? Do we not get considered in the scheme of things? The transport network was unable to cope and were asking passengers not to travel and roads were flooded or blocked by fallen trees before the game in many local places. If the game had proceeded it would have been in front of 20000 maximum, do the club say "Fuck You" to those that couldn't attend or do they get a refund?

Deaths at football grounds were quite common place in olden days due to lack of care by football clubs, not just Hillsborough, Ibrox or Burnden Park, there's countless examples. Today there isn't. I personally call that "progress".

PS Don't ignore the stupidity* of some people, also, like that surfer who had to be rescued from the sea yesterday.

*Or lack of awareness of danger.

It seems obvious that there is a separation between "East Manchester at 4.30" and "much of south and west England at all times up to 4.30"

By the first, it's probably playable, but the club will not have made the decision solely based on the window for the match itself. If that can't be comprehended, it's probably not worth engaging.

Back onto real life as we're going round in circles, but surely the West Ham match should be rearranged for Tuesday or Wednesday of next week? The City players are due back in on Saturday

I would use cup replays as the argument for that. We used to play on the Saturday and replay on the Wednesday but the police stopped it saying they needed 10 days notice. If we moved quickly that could be achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.