UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right, there is no guarantee that a legal challenge to FFP will be successful, and there are risks involved, to be sure.

But, I think your stance is based on a few dubious premises:

1) FFP, in its current or later modified state (for which we undoubtedly will have no input), will not be used to curtail City development in the future.

This is almost certainly false for very obvious reasons.

2) UEFA will threaten or actually expell City or perhaps all English teams from the Champions League if City were to mount a legal challenge to FFP.

This is *probably* false given that any such action could itself spark a legal challenge of unlawful retaliation from an industry regulatory body, which could be won at great (perhaps catastrophic) expense to UEFA even if the City challenge to FFP failed. Sion (and a few other examples) are very different to City challenging FFP in the courts as they were clubs with limit resources and stature so could be very easily bullied in to submission (they had little functional recourse).

3) The current damage done to the City brand and standing will be the last instance of such degradation brought about by UEFA and affiliated adversaries.

This, of course, is most certainly false. And, despite what some studies may tell you (many of them from brand management agencies who are incentivised to convince organisations that brand damage doesn’t matter much), continued hits to the integrity of a brand — and an organisation’s standing in the specific industry — will eventually lead to investment challenges and, in the case of football, suppression of sponsorship potential. That is especially the case in our social media / outage age. I actually think many of the brand value studies are fairly out of sink with the commercial environment that exists now.

4) That our relationship with current UEFA leadership is not irrevocably damaged beyond mending.

I think most reasonable observers would say this is unlikely to be true and that for City to have any hope of ever getting a seat adjacent to the table, much less at it (as PSG have), there would need to be a major change either with our leadership and organisation (perhaps even extending to ownership) or UEFA’s.

Ultimately, not attempting to remove or significantly change FFP will only serve to further inhibit City’s (as well as most other European clubs’) development in the future and, in my opinion, be seen by City leadership and ownership as acquiescing to UEFA power and control, which by extension means bowing to the cartel clubs control.

I believe the first objective for City is to have the allegations thrown out and any threat of sanctions removed.

Talk of then attacking FFP and UEFA may be misplaced. Khaldoon has said that City know who is behind the moves to undermine and discredit the Club. Attention could focus on individuals (in the way Platini was forced out) and organisations behind besmirching City. They could be pursued and claims made for damages. It is an alternative view that does not attack UEFA as such but those behind the sustained campaign aganst Manchester City, CFG and our owners.

I see that spouting incoherent nonsense still comes naturally to him.

The same Arsene Wenger who was at Arsenal when they got the 'Emirates Stadium' name deal (massive at the time) when it was a rarity in English football and we had f**k all? Funny how I and City fans in general were pleased as it meant that they could compete with the serial transfer record-breakers over at Trafford. Hypocrites all day long....

Funny I’ve gone from being pessimistic to optimistic and now I’m in the middle.

There’s just no knowing. The finest legal minds around don’t know.

I do know that for the greater part of 2 years we have been the best team in the World, however we achieved it, and that we don’t need a cup to prove it.

The levels of confidence on both sides is amazing.

Who’s brain is hurting?!

So he’s fed the line and still manages to misunderstanding it. So the EC cannot fund its own airline because it might upset UEFA. So long as it’s not our owner then Etihad can source funds from wherever it wants. Numerous sponsors of Football clubs get monies from the state - VW get state and local government cash, Chevrolet got state money... Conn hates us so much he’s lost sight of reality.

Yeah I don't get this.
I thought from PB's post that if Abu Dhabi govt paid Etihad sponsorship & not ADUG/Mansour paid it then it's allowed as a none related party and we'd be in the clear?
But the article doesn't make that link at all.

Is a poss problem here that if City say Abu Dhabi govt paid it and can prove it, it then fucks up Etihad re their rival airlines claims against them.

I think the date for teams to be included into the CL and EL competitions is 15th July? The BBC is guessing a date of the middle of next season for CAS to sit. So it's looking unlikely that CAS will be able to sit, hear the evidence and rule before the 15th July. If that fight is lost, that the club will continue the appeal process to the Swiss Courts and above. If UEFA go ahead with the ban and fine and exclude us without the appeal process being final and loose then they would be wholly liable for our losses? Using the figures banded around in the headlines the combined loss and repayment of fine would be somewhere in the region of €250,000,000 minimum. That would wipeout almost 50% of UEFAs cash reserves overnight (from accounts 2017/18).

As long as we qualify this season we will be booing the CL anthem next!

Unless they are insured in some way that's one hell of a risk for them.

The same Arsene Wenger who was at Arsenal when they got the 'Emirates Stadium' name deal (massive at the time) when it was a rarity in English football and we had f**k all? Funny how I and City fans in general were pleased as it meant that they could compete with the serial transfer record-breakers over at Trafford. Hypocrites all day long....
The same Arsene Wenger who was manager of Monaco ffs.

He couldn’t see who sponsored them apparently

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.